• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1070ti or vega 64

Soldato
I picked up a sapphire Vega64 from here a while back and once undervolted it goes like the proverbial clappers, isn't too loud and temps stay in check. I'm pulling the trigger on either the acer predator XF270HU or MSI optics MAG27CQ. Both 1440p and 144hz freesync. Try doing that with Nvidia and you're looking at about £150 more for the monitor for the pleasure of G-sync (new prices that is). No brainer to me, AMD all the way.

Permabanned
cheers for the input guys,think im gonna get him the asus vega 64 since the price has come down some :D

The Asus often throttles due to VRM temps, Gibbo did some testing to confirm it last year. It'll be fine if you remove the heatsink & put thicker heat pads on the VRM's but if you don't want to mess around the Sapphire Nitro's the best choice by far as it's also the best of the bunch.

Associate
Surprised no one mentioned power. What PSU do you have? V64 is very "demanding" of a good PSU.

Was thinking about this.. for those coming from 2+ year old systems with PSU's below a certain threshold its more 56 vs 1170ti isn't it?
The 64 is tidy if you have a decent PSU (some cooling is nice too) for it though.

Permabanned
My first Vega (64LC) wasn't stable at stock with a gold rated 650 watt psu (EVGA G2) or with a bronze rated 850 watt psu (Corsair TX), So I ordered an 850 platinum psu (Corsair HXi), at stock it was now fine but not with any sort of overclock including the built in turbo setting, plus the new platinum psu (Corsair HXi) introduced horrendous coil whine so both went back as I was worried about keeping the Vega past the returns window incase it was faulty. The next Vega wasn't stable with the 650 watt psu but it was fine with a new 860 watt platinum psu (Seasonic Prime). I've had 2 more Vega 64's since then a Nitro LE 3x8 pin and a Red Devil, both worked fine with the 860 watt psu,
To rule out the power draw as a potential issue I'd stick with a minimum of the 750 watts AMD advise for a Vega 64, Obviously as you spend time on the settings you should be able to undervolt it a fair bit which will reduce the power draw but I think it's important to make sure it works fine with the recommended requirements (750 watt psu). If it isn't you may have problems when you eventually try to sell it on.

Associate
OP
well the vega come today and its got some evil coil noise :( tried it in my pc too and same result so going to get a new psu in the next few days and see what happens then

Permabanned
i am late to this party, but i would say 1070ti all day with the problems people are reporting with the vaga cards + the driver problems AMD is having with all GPU's.
1070ti as more ram, working drivers, lower power usage.
anything over 1080p on a game with high textures the 1070ti will start to pull away from the vaga. even the lower texture games are starting to close in on 4gb of ram

i am and AMD fanboy but to buy an AMD GPU right now you would have to be on drugs, or it would have to be dam cheap

Associate
i am late to this party, but i would say 1070ti all day with the problems people are reporting with the vaga cards + the driver problems AMD is having with all GPU's.
1070ti as more ram, working drivers, lower power usage.
anything over 1080p on a game with high textures the 1070ti will start to pull away from the vaga. even the lower texture games are starting to close in on 4gb of ram

i am and AMD fanboy but to buy an AMD GPU right now you would have to be on drugs, or it would have to be dam cheap

What on earth are you going on about? Vega has 8GB of ram. I would have thought an AMD fan boy would know this......

Permabanned
What on earth are you going on about? Vega has 8GB of ram. I would have thought an AMD fan boy would know this......

haha i was thinking of the older HBM cards.

still no working drivers, sill power hungry, still people complaining about coil wine/black screens/unstable at stock clock/throttling..... ect......

Soldato
My Vega 56 is unstable at stock clocks, won’t pass a time spy benchmark.

It’s fine once undervolted but I only bought it because it was (very) cheap but even that’s starting to become a regret with the recent driver cockup.

Permabanned

haha i was thinking of the older HBM cards.

still no working drivers, sill power hungry, still people complaining about coil wine/black screens/unstable at stock clock/throttling..... ect......

My Vega 56 is unstable at stock clocks, won’t pass a time spy benchmark.

It’s fine once undervolted but I only bought it because it was (very) cheap but even that’s starting to become a regret with the recent driver cockup.

as i was saying @rallyslag

Permabanned
Bought a Vega 64 last July and not looked back. None of the problems you are going on about. So what were you saying again. There is way more happy Vega users in here compared to unhappy. I think you are one of those people that only see a fault and assume it applies to us all.

Throttleing would be cooler dependent.
However drivers, coil wine, and black screens have been reported on by AMD.. I like ahow your the kind of guy that's ownes a card and assumes there all like the one you have.

Twsd this thread and there is more bad than good. The do I forum search for the vaga and the story is a good 80% the same

Throttleing would be cooler dependent.
However drivers, coil wine, and black screens have been reported on by AMD.. I like ahow your the kind of guy that's ownes a card and assumes there all like the one you have.

Twsd this thread and there is more bad than good. The do I forum search for the vaga and the story is a good 80% the same

You are aware that people are 99% more likely to post if they have an issue? What you describe is the same for any thread about anything!

Back
Top Bottom