• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1080 gtx on a z77 motherboard

Associate
Has anyone tried this?
My Gigabyte board hasn't had a BIOS release for years now so am a bit concerned wether a new GPU will work ok. I don't fancy changing my whole system just yet just to upgrade the graphics.....

Associate
I'd be amazed if there was any noticeable performance issues with this setup, what CPU and OC (if any) are you using.

edit: and what Mobo are you using?

Associate
I went from a 7950 to a GTX970 and my board has never boot correctly since, updated BIOS etc, seems to be a common issue with my board, you mentioned Z77 and gigabyte so I imagine is something similar.
There are threats on its boot issue but some are random and not related to hardware changes like mine.

Associate
Neural;30483592 said:
I went from a 7950 to a GTX970 and my board has never boot correctly since, updated BIOS etc, seems to be a common issue with my board, you mentioned Z77 and gigabyte so I imagine is something similar.
There are threats on its boot issue but some are random and not related to hardware changes like mine.

did you completely remove the AMD drivers, I had issues when I went from a 750to to a 7950 due to old drivers lingering about.

Caporegime
My last motherboard was the Z77-D3H which I believe had their fair share of quirks, and following an upgrade from a GTX570 to a 7970 I was greeted with a blank screen. An update of the bios remedied that.

Associate
I had this happen when I went from 5850 to 280X on a Gigabyte Z77 D3H motherboard. So try this -

Put your old card back in....

Go into the motherboard's BIOS and in PCIe slots settings change it from EFI to Legacy support.

It may be labelled 'PCI ROM priority', and the choices are 'EFI compatible ROM' and 'Legacy ROM'...choose Legacy Rom.

Then shutdown and put the new card back in again....and hey presto....it now works! (I hope). Well it has worked for a few people before without need for a BIOS update....so fingers crossed for you.

:D

Associate
OP
It's a gigabyte ga-z77x-ud3h motherboard and a 3570k clocked at 4.4. The board has had issues ever since I bought it from new - it doesn't like cold boots and doesn't like Windows 10s fast boots but I could never bring myself to send it back as it's rock solid once booted.

Soldato
arc@css;30483650 said:
My last motherboard was the Z77-D3H which I believe had their fair share of quirks, and following an upgrade from a GTX570 to a 7970 I was greeted with a blank screen. An update of the bios remedied that.

That board put me of Gigabyte products full stop. The amount of crap I had to deal with whilst I owned that was beyond frustrating.

Caporegime
Telecaster;30484130 said:
That board put me of Gigabyte products full stop. The amount of crap I had to deal with whilst I owned that was beyond frustrating.

Eventually, things seemed to settle down but I consider it to be the most problematic board I can remember using. Of course, user error needs to be taken into account as well, but having said that the Z77-D3H motherboard does seem to be well known for its teething troubles so it's probably no coincidence. :)

Associate
andy_mk3;30484106 said:
Z77X-D3H & GTX1080 here with zero issues. Runs extremely well.

The Z77X here won't boot at all on anything except legacy mode in the UEFI boot settings. I don't fully understand what they do but surely legacy must be for old cards and the 1080gtx should work with UEFI.

Associate
Gambisk;30483619 said:
did you completely remove the AMD drivers, I had issues when I went from a 750to to a 7950 due to old drivers lingering about.

Its a BIOS issue not drivers, the BIOS does not recognise the gtx correctly, tested with 2 different GTX 970s both the same, as soon as the old card was put back in it booted fine.

Associate
years passed...did somebody get stable startups for z77x-ud5h with 1080 card? :rolleyes:
i got myself into about 30% of successful startups...still looking for a solution.

Permabanned
I think there was some issue with some Gigabyte boards going to the nine series so as long as there is an update that covers that then I think you should be fine. But a really good idea is just to buy from a company that will take it back for "technical compatibility issues" then there is no problem.

Associate
unfotunately i got that board in 2013 or so, and just got my aftermarket 1080 ti two weeks ago. no warranty, many tests with different bioses... still no luck.
btw 1080 and ud5h works fine without each other

Back
Top Bottom