1080i vs 720p (not picture quality)

Soldato
Hi all,

I have noticed something quite odd with my 360 over the past few nights.

Basically I bought Forza 2 at the weekend and after a few hours of the normal crash after 10 mins play for hours on 720p I decided hmmm I wonder what 1080i looks like.

Well not only does 1080i look better in forza 2 on my tv I have had not one single crash.

So for me this is a double bonus lol.

Has anyone else found this to be the case? Is there any reason for why my 360 freezes / crashes (no red lights) when on 720p in forza yet in 1080i all is well.

I'm confused lol.

Kreeeee said:
The only difference between 720p and 1080i is that the scaler chip is used. There should be no stability gained from it.

Indeed and this is why I am totally baffled.

In terms of heat produced there is no difference and everything else is the same so it would be logical that my 360 should crash when using 1080i just as it does with 720p. Yet it doesn't. lol I won't moan though :p

Kreeeee said:
Does it crash if you go back to 720p now? It may be unrelated to the resolution, or alternatively it could be a software bug.

I havn't actually tried that tbh (since forza 2 looks better in 1080i on my tv as well as it crashing on 720p before I don't see the point. However I think I will do a bit of testing.

Its interesting about the 30-60fps difference however in game I see absolutely no difference even at speed (ie if I did a blind test I couldn't tell you which is 30fps and which is 60fps).

Overall if the game looks better added to the fact I get no freezes I am not complaining.

Now I really need to get another VGA cable. (mine broke)

KNiVES said:
The jaggies are much less prominent on 1080i for Forza 2. Especially when you look in the distance. I found this quite strange, as I couldnt see a difference in any other games.
just to reply to this post as well.

I have noticed this. Forxa 2 for me is the only games that shows a noticable improvement for me at 1080i compared to 720p in terms of the on screen image quality.

In stark contrast RB6:V looks quite frankly terrible in 1080i compared to 720p.

Whether this has something to do with the scaler chip and how the console is rendering the game I don't know however it just seems well odd.

lol so is it 30fps or not?! :)

I can't tell any difference even if it is so meh :p

I will test out 720p again tonight to see whether I still get the crash after 10 mins or not (this has happened pretty much constantly in the past but a quick reset and the console works fine for hours (something I found out after accidently leaving it on overnight lol))

Kreeeee said:
I say not truely, james says yes. Eitherway it really doesn't matter at all :p

lol I was getting confused from both of your posts. :p

For forza 2 though I couldn't care less if it was at 30fps or 60fps in 1080i as the game just looks better.

Back
Top Bottom