1080p machine £1000 budget.

Associate
Hello,

I have a friend who is looking at getting a new gaming rig. His budget is £1000 with a little room above. He has asked me to suggest a build for him for overclockers to put together for him. I think the system I have put together is a very capable 1080p rig, with some room for future developments such as 4K with maybe a GPU change.

Just looking for some general thoughts and if this indeed the right choice considering the budget?

The link shows the 1660 OC but it would be the super for £4 extra.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...fs-1eb-og.html?basketId=38681943#t=b2d1f4i2j4

Last edited:
Soldato
This would be miles better, just help him get a Windows 10 license from the popular auction site for £5 (as that saves him £100)

Ryzen 3600, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD (OS/Games) + 1TB HDD (Storage) powered with a beefy 5700 XT GPU.

Tbh the 5700 XT would run 1440p nicely so it would future proof him fairly well. That said, GPUs can quickly become old tech on an annual basis with new releases and refreshes.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x OcUK Gaming Ballista - Gaming PC For Doom Eternal - AMD Ryzen 5+, AMD Radeon RX = £1,014.97
    • Case:Kolink Void RGB Midi Tower Case - Black Window
    • CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core 4.2GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - MPK
    • Primary Solid State Drive:TeamGroup 1TB Vulcan SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid State Drive
    • Graphics Card:Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC 8GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    • Operating System:Unwanted
    • Security Software:Unwanted
    • WIFI:Unwanted
Total: £1,014.97 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
OP
This would be miles better, just help him get a Windows 10 license from the popular auction site for £5 (as that saves him £100)

Ryzen 3600, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD (OS/Games) + 1TB HDD (Storage) powered with a beefy 5700 XT GPU.

Tbh the 5700 XT would run 1440p nicely so it would future proof him fairly well. That said, GPUs can quickly become old tech on an annual basis with new releases and refreshes.

• 1 x OcUK Gaming Ballista - Gaming PC For Doom Eternal - AMD Ryzen 5+, AMD Radeon RX = £1,014.97
    • Case:Kolink Void RGB Midi Tower Case - Black Window
    • CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core 4.2GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - MPK
    • Primary Solid State Drive:TeamGroup 1TB Vulcan SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid State Drive
    • Graphics Card:Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC 8GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    • Operating System:Unwanted
    • Security Software:Unwanted
    • WIFI:Unwanted
Total: £1,014.97 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Hello thanks for reply, much appreciated.

Without starting a massive argument about which is better, I personally never look at AMD based systems.

Although I suppose times are changing and I wouldn't want to miss out on something good over blind loyalty over a particular brand.

Doing a bit of research there, it would appear your suggested CPU is slightly behind the 10700k at stock.

I agree the 5700 XT beats the 1660 GTX super, comfortably.

My thinking was a better CPU gives headroom for a better GPU further down the line, when the GPU decides to give up, as you have suggested.

Nice touch though with the 1TB ssd and free game.

The storage drive not so much, he has a 4TB usb drive.

Soldato
Well never looking at AMD systems is your own blind loyalty, as you mention :p If you want the same or similar GPU with that Intel build, your rig is gonna cost an extra ~£300... Can't really compare for that price difference can you?

If they had the same GPU (along with the extra £300) then the 10700k will achieve an extra 5-10 fps if lucky in games, others there is no difference at all over the 3600

Intel is over-priced, not great value for money and you have very little upgrade choices for new CPUs with Intel. Ryzen is supporting their new Zen 3 CPUs on their B450/B550/X570 MBs.

The HDD is just an extra and part of the system already, you can't remove it, just part of OcUK's pre-built config.

Edit: I see you're still rocking a 3770k yourself, if you're thinking back in those times then yes Intel ruled the CPU world. Not so much the last few years, AMD has taken huge leaps. I came from an Intel 4770k last summer and went for a Ryzen 3600. I'm not loyal to any of the tech brands, I go for best bang for buck and AMD have nailed it recently.

Associate
OP
Well never looking at AMD systems is your own blind loyalty, as you mention :p If you want the same or similar GPU with that Intel build, your rig is gonna cost an extra ~£300... Can't really compare for that price difference can you?

If they had the same GPU (along with the extra £300) then the 10700k will achieve an extra 5-10 fps if lucky in games, others there is no difference at all over the 3600

Intel is over-priced, not great value for money and you have very little upgrade choices for new CPUs with Intel. Ryzen is supporting their new Zen 3 CPUs on their B450/B550/X570 MBs.

The HDD is just an extra and part of the system already, you can't remove it, just part of OcUK's pre-built config.

Edit: I see you're still rocking a 3770k yourself, if you're thinking back in those times then yes Intel ruled the CPU world. Not so much the last few years, AMD has taken huge leaps. I came from an Intel 4770k last summer and went for a Ryzen 3600. I'm not loyal to any of the tech brands, I go for best bang for buck and AMD have nailed it recently.

Certainly giving me something to think about.

The 3600x is very well priced, totally agree.

The logical competitor for the 10700k would surely be the 3800x, again the benches favour the 10700k although £30 cheaper.

Without looking in any detail I am not sure how well the 3600x & 3800x overclock, the 10700k seems ok.

Soldato
It's the 3600, not 3600X - despite having a 3600X in my own rig (when I ordered there was a £15 difference lol) - but the standard '3600' is the best bang for buck and what's in the pre-built I linked. :)

The Ryzen CPUs can overclock fairly well, but they don't need much either. If you/he is going to OC then I'd suggest a better CPU cooler, like this Alpenfohn Brocken 3.

Associate
OP
It's the 3600, not 3600X - despite having a 3600X in my own rig (when I ordered there was a £15 difference lol) - but the standard '3600' is the best bang for buck and what's in the pre-built I linked. :)

The Ryzen CPUs can overclock fairly well, but they don't need much either. If you/he is going to OC then I'd suggest a better CPU cooler, like this Alpenfohn Brocken 3.

Overclockers only offer the Alpenföhn Alpenfohn Brocken ECO Advanced CPU Cooler - 120 mm at the moment.

Sorry I know what you mean know this cooler for the 3600 system.

I suppose an email could perhaps get that changed, if need be.

I wouldn't overclock until needed, although good to have if required.

My last GPU lasted 4 years without issue, ran at stock.

My thinking would be overclock when the GPU is upgraded.

You have got me thinking again, no doubt.

Thanks again.

Soldato
My thinking was a better CPU gives headroom for a better GPU further down the line, when the GPU decides to give up, as you have suggested.
For a gaming rig always buy the best Gpu that you can as it will give much more fps than the CPU. No point in gimping your fps for the next few years by putting most the budget into the CPU.

Ryzen 5 3600 with a rtx 2070 super you would be looking at 50fps more in some titles compared to a 10700k and a gtx 1660.

Associate
OP
For a gaming rig always buy the best Gpu that you can as it will give much more fps than the CPU. No point in gimping your fps for the next few years by putting most the budget into the CPU.

Ryzen 5 3600 with a rtx 2070 super you would be looking at 50fps more in some titles compared to a 10700k and a gtx 1660.

Yep just checked the benches there, you are 100% right the rtx2070 super is a 50+ fps card versus the gtx 1660 super.

Good advice, thank you.

I am thinking about backing off with CPU, and adding some cash to the GPU.

Soldato
the 10700k would surely be the 3800x, again the benches favour the 10700k although £30 cheaper.

There's little to no worthwhile difference between the 3700X and the 3800X, the 3700X on OCUK is £50 cheaper as of my writing this than the 3800X.

That's the chip I'd get if I wanted an 8c16t setup.

If not a 3600.

Here's an idea:

Total: £1,021.93 (includes shipping: £0.00)

OCUK would build this for you for a fee if you took them the spec list.

The above recommended prebuilds look decent at first hand, but in some areas they're a little weak. For example, you'll get a poor quality Kolink PSU which I personally wouldn't trust in such a rig. The B450 motherboard for the AMD option is likely to be on the weaker side too, DS3H's are regularly used and their VRM's are a bit poo.

With this you have a more modern chipset and a good CPU upgrade path to Ryzen 4000 down the line if needed. You also get a much better quality PSU and mobo than you'll get with prebuilds in the price range you're looking at.

You would need to install Windows 10 yourself, but that's a simple task via USB.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep just checked the benches there, you are 100% right the rtx2070 super is a 50+ fps card versus the gtx 1660 super.

Good advice, thank you.

I am thinking about backing off with CPU, and adding some cash to the GPU.

That was the whole point of the pre-built I configured and posted :p Money being better placed on a beefier GPU and CPU for the price point.

The rig I suggested, using the 5700 XT makes FPS trades with the 2070S for £100 less - if trying to keep it within £1k region.

Associate
OP
There's little to no worthwhile difference between the 3700X and the 3800X, the 3700X on OCUK is £50 cheaper as of my writing this than the 3800X.

That's the chip I'd get if I wanted an 8c16t setup.

If not a 3600.

Here's an idea:

Total: £1,021.93 (includes shipping: £0.00)

OCUK would build this for you for a fee if you took them the spec list.

The above recommended prebuilds look decent at first hand, but in some areas they're a little weak. For example, you'll get a poor quality Kolink PSU which I personally wouldn't trust in such a rig. The B450 motherboard for the AMD option is likely to be on the weaker side too, DS3H's are regularly used and their VRM's are a bit poo.

With this you have a more modern chipset and a good CPU upgrade path to Ryzen 4000 down the line if needed. You also get a much better quality PSU and mobo than you'll get with prebuilds in the price range you're looking at.

You would need to install Windows 10 yourself, but that's a simple task via USB.

Thanks very much for info here.

I didn't actually know that overclockers can build whatever you like but makes sense of course, I presume you just email them directly?

My mate can't self build and I don't want to, didn't enjoy building my own rig, too stressful.

Things have changed a lot since I last was shopping for a rig (2012), feel a bit stupid not looking into AMD more.

Still have some niggling doubt's, looking at the benches for a 10600k versus a 3700x, the 10600k seems to return slightly better FPS.

Soldato
Thanks very much for info here.

I didn't actually know that overclockers can build whatever you like but makes sense of course, I presume you just email them directly?

My mate can't self build and I don't want to, didn't enjoy building my own rig, too stressful.

Things have changed a lot since I last was shopping for a rig (2012), feel a bit stupid not looking into AMD more.

Still have some niggling doubt's, looking at the benches for a 10600k versus a 3700x, the 10600k seems to return slightly better FPS.

Call up, email, you can even post in the customer service section of the forum.

You really are much better off going AMD, if FPS is your goal outside of a few outliers you'll get better performance with a 3600 and a 5700XT for example than a 10600K and 1660/2060.

It's also worth pointing out that the higher the resolution you game at the less difference there will be between Intel and AMD, while the build is for 1080P right now will that always be the case? Not to mention the new consoles due out this year will be running processors very similar to the 3700X. With an AMD system you can easily swap out the suggested 3600 for similar or even better with the 4000 series stuff down the line.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That was the whole point of the pre-built I configured and posted :p Money being better placed on a beefier GPU and CPU for the price point.

The rig I suggested, using the 5700 XT makes FPS trades with the 2070S for £100 less - if trying to keep it within £1k region.

Yep totally agreed with what you said.

Pretty amazing benches for the 5700 XT.

I see where you are going with this.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Call up, email, you can even post in the customer service section of the forum.

You really are much better off going AMD, if FPS is your goal outside of a few outliers you'll get better performance with a 3600 and a 5700XT for example than a 10600K and 1660/2060.

It's also worth pointing out that the higher the resolution you game at the less difference there will be between Intel and AMD, while the build is for 1080P right now will that always be the case? Not to mention the new consoles due out this year will be running processors very similar to the 3700X. With an AMD system you can easily swap out the suggested 3600 for similar or even better with the 4000 series stuff down the line.

Higher resolutions or refresh rates are also a consideration but at this budget, tricky?

Yep the PS5 will be interesting, to see what it can do.

Also nice to options with an CPU upgrade, although maybe the RAM will get you, depending on how update to date you like to be or just plain rich.

Soldato
Higher resolutions or refresh rates are also a consideration but at this budget, tricky?

Very true.

But... does your friend already own say.. a 4K tv?

I use a gaming rig with bluetooth (for xbox/ps controllers) for couch gaming on a 4K TV in my living room.

You don't necessarily need to use a gaming monitor or spend all the extra silly money when there's the potential for overlap. Would I use my setup to play something like CSGO? Probably not, but I absolutely would to play stuff like Witcher 3 or single player games. For other stuff I've a monitor running on the same system.

A 5700XT will work decently on a 4K tv depending on the game.

Soldato
Hunt down Aorus RX5700XT is you can for the little extra gaining the 4 yr warranty and one of the coolest GPU heatsink's

pure 1080p, then go GTX 1660S and 6 cores to save cash!

Associate
OP
Very true.

But... does your friend already own say.. a 4K tv?

I use a gaming rig with bluetooth (for xbox/ps controllers) for couch gaming on a 4K TV in my living room.

You don't necessarily need to use a gaming monitor or spend all the extra silly money when there's the potential for overlap. Would I use my setup to play something like CSGO? Probably not, but I absolutely would to play stuff like Witcher 3 or single player games. For other stuff I've a monitor running on the same system.

A 5700XT will work decently on a 4K tv depending on the game.

I asked my mate about this and he got super excited, very good point actually. When you think of PC gaming you automatically think desk, high res gaming monitor but you are so right. Sometimes chilling on the couch and doing a bit of casual gaming is just what is needed.

Hunt down Aorus RX5700XT is you can for the little extra gaining the 4 yr warranty and one of the coolest GPU heatsink's

pure 1080p, then go GTX 1660S and 6 cores to save cash!

This RX5700XT is a beast of a card, and with AMD offering such good value, hard to resist.

The Intel/Nvdia route is too expensive per FPS these days, never used to be like this.

Soldato
@RamboFB 1660S prob one of the best cards for value/performance .

Rx5700xt is a stunning card . Recently drivers had let it down for a while, which was a shame but seems issues aren't so bad now. Haven't looked up on Unreal Engine issues in a while though .

Sofa gaming = ITX rig :D

Back
Top Bottom