• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1080Ti or mistyped 2080Ti?

Associate
The problem is you have to haggle to 50% just to even make it look even slightly worth while, which i very much doubt that you'll get. Its a card that should be £300 new tbh, let alone B grade. Its amazing how these old cards are going up in value rather than down. It really solidifies just how terrible value for money the RTX farce has been. Its a pity people wont hold off on spending until prices become more sensible.

Caporegime
There was one for 499 about a month back.

If you got it for 300 and the warranty works thats a heck of a deal especially a lightening card.

I’m expecting soda law to strike and it be duff, hopefully not, £300 I’m more than happy to pay for one of these especially with warranty albeit 90 days although I will see if I can register it with the manufacturer as I did with my other Zotac 1080ti which was B grade as well. :)

Caporegime

image.png

:D

Soldato
Hope ur psu is up to the job as the lightening says 750 min, other ti might not need as much but this one does. If you oc it a lot then maybe 800min might be on the cards.

Caporegime
iPhone damn auto correct! :o :D

Hope ur psu is up to the job as the lightening says 750 min, other ti might not need as much but this one does. If you oc it a lot then maybe 800min might be on the cards.
Might have to look into that, I've got a Corsair HX 850 but I've got 8 Hard drives, 4 SSD, 4 mechanical so it may be pushing it a bit, my 4790K is @ 4.8Ghz on water as well, I think it could be PSU next. :o

That said, back in the day I ran two GTX 580's which were power monsters with a 550W (way below recommended) for a couple of years with no issues....

Got an out of stock email, hope you got yours :)

Genuinely sorry for you, I've arranged collect from OC/UK as I'm not home for a courier due to work, but typically, I tend to finish after their pickup slots end (5 pm) hopefully, I'll finish early tomorrow (Truckers call it foot down Friday) so I'm hoping to get it tomorrow.....

Man of Honour

Might have to look into that, I've got a Corsair HX 850 but I've got 8 Hard drives, 4 SSD, 4 mechanical so it may be pushing it a bit, my 4790K is @ 4.8Ghz on water as well, I think it could be PSU next. :o

That said, back in the day I ran two GTX 580's which were power monsters with a 550W (way below recommended) for a couple of years with no issues....

It'll be absolutely fine! See below from a Kitguru review how much these really draw.

:Edit: On a second look, the below actually looks particularly low, but the minimum specified by manufacturers is always hugely over the top.

MSI-GTX-1080Ti-Lightning-G-Power.png

Caporegime
It'll be absolutely fine! See below from a Kitguru review how much these really draw.

:Edit: On a second look, the below actually looks particularly low, but the minimum specified by manufacturers is always hugely over the top.

MSI-GTX-1080Ti-Lightning-G-Power.png

Cheers mate, I was literally writing an offer on a 1000W in the CS forum prior to reading this, I'm going to see how my HX handles it - as you say, I suspect it'll be fine - bloody well hope so anyway! :D

Man of Honour
Maybe if 1 1080ti but he plans to do sli with 2 1080ti and one will be more power hungry i.e the lightening edition.

https://www.evga.com/power-meter/

If you want to calculate it.

Oh, I totally missed that bit! I'm aware of PSU calculators but they're normally quite safe and overspec. I suppose with the rest of the devices and overclocking, yeah an 850w is sensible as a minimum.

Caporegime
Oh, I totally missed that bit! I'm aware of PSU calculators but they're normally quite safe and overspec. I suppose with the rest of the devices and overclocking, yeah an 850w is sensible as a minimum.

I’m sat outside OC/UK now collecting the 1080ti, I’ve decided to play safe so have ordered a Phanteks Revolt X 1000W Platinum, B-Grade for £130 (Retail £217) hopeful I can pick it up at the same time even though I only ordered it about 20 minutes ago.... :)

Caporegime
You DON'T need to spend money on a new PSU.

The manufacturers required PSU assumes it is a cheap nasty one with nowhere near the advertised wattage available where its needed. (+12v)

A good 850W PSU will be more than adequate, heck, a quality 700W would do the trick.

The R9 390, like the 1080TI, has a 750W recommendation, and in fact the R9 390 has a higher peak power draw.

I run TWO Nitro R9 390 Tri-X 8GB cards, both overclocked, and an overclocked i7, on an XFX Pro 750W PSU. I run it 24/7, and often fold, which pegs the entire system at 100% utilisation. And i have run this setup for several years.

You have 106W more available wattage on the +12v rail than I do, and a GPU peak power draw of maybe 50W less than I do, but certainly no more than I do.

With that 1000W Phantecs PSU you could almost (but not quite) think about adding a third 1080TI... :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
You DON'T need to spend money on a new PSU.

The manufacturers required PSU assumes it is a cheap nasty one with nowhere near the advertised wattage available where its needed. (+12v)

A good 850W PSU will be more than adequate, heck, a quality 700W would do the trick.

The R9 390, like the 1080TI, has a 750W recommendation, and in fact the R9 390 has a higher peak power draw.

I run TWO Nitro R9 390 Tri-X 8GB cards, both overclocked, and an overclocked i7, on an XFX Pro 750W PSU. I run it 24/7, and often fold, which pegs the entire system at 100% utilisation. And i have run this setup for several years.

You have 106W more available wattage on the +12v rail than I do, and a GPU peak power draw of maybe 50W less than I do, but certainly no more than I do.

With that 1000W Phantecs PSU you could almost (but not quite) think about adding a third 1080TI... :p

I hear you, but, given my Corsair HX850W was bought used from the MM here a few years back, plus the number of drives, the CPU being overclocked, dual 1080ti's in SLI , water cooling (AIO) - I'm happy to have the extra headroom, its quieter than the Corsair too which is nice (but completely ruined by the desktop fan blowing on the two cards! :o :D) I've decided to play safe.

Given I may get £40-50 for the Corsair its not a big outlay for such a superb PSU overall, as I say I ran two GTX 580's in SLI with a 550W for years which was really pushing my luck - 580 SLI pull over 600W with ease - , in my old age, caution is the preferred route I guess. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Acme, i simply said he might need more power given his overall setup not just his gpus. He might have been ok he might not have i dunno but with 1080ti cards and all them hard drives and i presume a fair few case fans for the watercooling (radiator fans) and general fans as well too maybe too, who knows he might have needed a stronger psu than he had. If it were me with his rig id be thinking well id like the psu not to really run past 80% max usage so has a bit of lee way so would a 800ish watt psu do for my rig in them terms, id probs think well if i can i might get an extra 200watts better one and sell this then it wont be a huge cost and if both old and new psu were fully modular it would be a easy swap.

Thats my thoughts anyhow.

Caporegime
850W is pretty much the ideal PSU for his setup. Drives and stuff don't use that much power. If he had a 650W PSU I'd be telling him to upgrade, 750W I'd say its getting a bit close and would leave it to his judgement, 800W+ theres absolutely no need to upgrade because there is already a great deal of headroom.

I have the 2x R9 390 8GB's with overclocks, the overclocked i7, a sound card with external power source, 5 drives, 6 fans + an AIO, LED lighting, etc, on a 750W. I used to have a power draw plug and if I recall the draw was about 640W while gaming with very high usage on everything...

But he seems happy because the new unit runs quieter etc anyway so no harm done!

People really need to re-calibrate themselves when it comes to PSU requirements.

Years ago PSU's were often "rated" by their total output on 3.3, 5 and 12v, an 850W PSU might only have 670W on the +12v, so in order to get that 850W figure on the 12v you would need to go out and buy a "1000W" PSU. Cheapo rubbish PSU's are sometimes still rated in this way.

Nowadays, and in the case of the AX850, the 12v rail has 850W available and the power available at other voltages isn't counted.

The performance per watt of GPU's has also gone through the roof in recent years.

Last edited:
Soldato
99% of PSU calcs are garbage and massively overestimate requirements.

The only half decent one I'm aware of is on the Be Quiet! website.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom