• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1080ti prices. Has everyone got a screw loose?

Soldato
I see you're still here trolling.

While I feel for you that your bank account won't allow you to buy a GPU, why do you feel the constant need to belittle those who can afford to pay a bit over the odds?

You're attitude towards me when I paid £150 over rrp for a card was disgusting and I see it hasn't changed. Despite the fact that me buying a new card had no impact on you whatsoever, in fact it meant my old 1070 went to a forum member for free (granted, it was not this forum), so there was a positive outcome for someone who needed a new GPU.

People like you are a disgrace.. just leave mate.

And the bad news for you continues as manufacturers have already announced a rise in the rrp for all cards across the board.

Word of advice - don't go onto forums expecting people to justify your own purchases,and then get annoyed when people don't pat you on the back. You posted in a thread about people complaining about GTX1080TI prices - look at the title. Its not like if you posted in the GTX1080TI owners thread and somebody had a go at you.

Associate
This post displays a complete lack of self control, as well as factually inaccurate claims.

..don't mistake can't for won't.

..and year two newcomers like you don't get to tell 14yr veterans like me to leave. If the Mods feel I've stepped over the line, I'm sure they'll deal with it.

Lol, too big for your boots much?? Veteran poster or not, your attitude stinks and the forums would be a better place without your toxic presence.

Associate
Word of advice - don't go onto forums expecting people to justify your own purchases,and then get annoyed when people don't pat you on the back.

Didn't ask anyone to justify anything thanks. I posted a light hearted comment about only getting a single bag of Tangfastics with an overpriced card and was verbally assaulted by a moron.

Soldato
Didn't ask anyone to justify anything thanks. I posted a light hearted comment about only getting a single bag of Tangfastics with an overpriced card and was verbally assaulted by a moron.

Just ignore them mate, cat is by far the biggest troll on this forum and he literally just posts nonsense if it causes an argument to erupt.

Associate
I'm sure 14yrs worth of posting would have found me out long before now if that was the case...
If thats the case I can only assume you've had a recent change in your posts. Looking back over your post history you seem quite a reasonable person, and yet in this thread you continue a very hostile attitude toward anyone willing to pay current prices.

Soldato
Didn't ask anyone to justify anything thanks.

You posted in a thread with the following title:

1080ti prices. Has everyone got a screw loose?

LOL,OP says GTX1080TI prices are taking the mickey,and people "have a screw loose for paying it",then you post in the same thread saying you paid near Titan Xp prices for one,someone then is negative about what you did, in a negative thread thread about GTX1080TI pricing and you are surprised?? :p

Associate
You posted in a thread with the following title:

LOL,OP says GTX1080TI are taking the mickey,and people "have a screw loose for paying it",then you post in the same thread saying you paid near Titan Xp prices for one,someone then is negative about what you did, in a negative thread thread about GTX1080TI pricing and you are surprised?? :p
Negativity I can live with, perhaps the sarcasm and attempted humour was lost in my original post. Straight-out hostility however is unnecesary and uncalled for.

And now trying to point the thread slightly back onto topic...

It's a GPU for heaven's sake, why do people get so wound up? The whole price increase thing is somewhat exaggerated, even a £150-£200 price hike is a tiny fraction of a build cost of a higher end pc, if someone was willing to drop £780 on a GPU, £930 is hardly a noticeable increase, inconvenient sure, but not the end of the world some seem to be suggesting.

Soldato
Word of advice - don't go onto forums expecting people to justify your own purchases,and then get annoyed when people don't pat you on the back. You posted in a thread about people complaining about GTX1080TI prices - look at the title. Its not like if you posted in the GTX1080TI owners thread and somebody had a go at you.

Except he never asked for justification. He was making a joke about getting only one packet of haribo with his over priced card. He wasn't happy having to pay the price but, he wanted a card and and paid the money. He didn't deserve the sanctimonious BS levelled at him by yourself and Cooper.

Soldato

I think it is more the case,everything is going up at the same time,RAM,GPUs,SSDs,etc and its starting to annoy gamers in general,and all these companies have a history of trying to milk customers if they can get away with it. OFC,there is also the whole general consensus of PC gaming being diluted by microtransactions,and crapper optimisations which needs you to dump more hardware into some of these games than what is required(PUBG and ARK I am looking at you). For older enthusiasts like us,we used to see some much bigger performance jumps too,so its a bit of nostalgia for the old days too.

So don't ever take it personally. I spend more on photography and hifi than my mates,and many of them don't understand it,when their cheapo camera/phone and computer speakers do a similar job for them. I somewhat agree the value is not there buying a 35MM frame dSLR but if I want something I will just get it. Remember value is relative for everyone. One of my workmates in an old job,wasn't that well off financially but he spent loads on hardware - even had SLI GTX480 back in the day,whereas I know people who probably earn decent 5 figure salaries who think spending £400 on a single PC component as not worth it and use a console.Horses for courses.

Also,remember one thing,beware of older members who call out people by name,since they are taking the internet a bit too seriously.

Soldato
Just ignore them mate, cat is by far the biggest troll on this forum and he literally just posts nonsense if it causes an argument to erupt.

I would follow this advice.

Negativity I can live with, perhaps the sarcasm and attempted humour was lost in my original post. Straight-out hostility however is unnecesary and uncalled for.

And now trying to point the thread slightly back onto topic...

It's a GPU for heaven's sake, why do people get so wound up? The whole price increase thing is somewhat exaggerated, even a £150-£200 price hike is a tiny fraction of a build cost of a higher end pc, if someone was willing to drop £780 on a GPU, £930 is hardly a noticeable increase, inconvenient sure, but not the end of the world some seem to be suggesting.

Why are they getting upset? Because they think that someone paying a high price for a GPU is killing PC gaming.

Despite having no evidence to that and despite all indications and by any measurable metric, PC gaming is growing.

IF you ask for evidence, Cat will bang on about Crysis, a 1060 not been able to match a 980Ti and that there is no card like the 8800 GT out now. But, no actual proof that PC gaming is dying.

You can also point out that the 8800 GT came out a year later than the 8800 GTX and is the same chip, just with die shrink and that the 1060 is a chip two tiers lower in performance to the 980Ti. That will also be ignored.

Soldato
I would follow this advice.

Why are they getting upset? Because they think that someone paying a high price for a GPU is killing PC gaming.

Despite having no evidence to that and despite all indications and by any measurable metric, PC gaming is growing.

IF you ask for evidence, Cat will bang on about Crysis, a 1060 not been able to match a 980Ti and that there is no card like the 8800 GT out now. But, no actual proof that PC gaming is dying.

You can also point out that the 8800 GT came out a year later than the 8800 GTX and is the same chip, just with die shrink and that the 1060 is a chip two tiers lower in performance to the 980Ti. That will also be ignored.
Except he never asked for justification. He was making a joke about getting only one packet of haribo with his over priced card. He wasn't happy having to pay the price but, he wanted a card and and paid the money. He didn't deserve the sanctimonious BS levelled at him by yourself and Cooper.

Hilarious,oh noes! Someone offended you on the internet and has a different viewpoint from you. I like how plenty of others also said similar things too,but you have this little forum vendetta against me,since you cannot handle a different viewpoint.

Plus wow,now swearing and personal attacks too - this really must be working in your mind,that you bring up a totally different thread in an unrelated one.

Last edited:
Associate
I have to say, the inflated ram prices shocked me much more than GPU prices.

Before my current build I remember ram being one of the cheapest components, I'm sure I picked up 16gb of DDR3 for £40-60 back in the day. With my current build, the ram cost more than the cpu and mobo combined!

Soldato
I have to say, the inflated ram prices shocked me much more than GPU prices.

Before my current build I remember ram being one of the cheapest components, I'm sure I picked up 16gb of DDR3 for £40-60 back in the day. With my current build, the ram cost more than the cpu and mobo combined!

RAM companies have been fined close to a billion dollars between 2002 and 2010,did you know that?? It was over RAM cartel behaviour:

https://www.justice.gov/archive/atr/public/press_releases/2005/212002.htm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10126755

All the major players implicated.OFC,its not to say very low pricing is good too(for them),but even back then I can remember some of the price increases were ridiculous.

It took regulators to fine them and apparently China is going to investigate many of them.

Its like with a lot of these increases,in tech. Going back a few years to some floods(2011),which damaged HDD factories in Asia. Naturally prices did go up,when they were repaired they stayed high per GB for like the next few years,especially for smaller capacities,and they cut the warranties too. In a lot of these cases,you only had to look at how they milked a bad situation and ended up making more out of it for years.

Associate
With my current build, the ram cost more than the cpu and mobo combined!

Blimey I hope that was for 128GB of SUPER DOOPER LED Bacon Sandwich and a cuppa in the morning RAM. Or you bought a very cheap CPU and Mobo? Can I ask what ram you bought and how much it was? (Curiosity, of course). No wonder people are turning to consoles for just gaming. :D

Soldato
PC gaming is still pretty cheap if you are not chasing numbers or resolution. A decent rig should last most people 2-3 years. Take that as a monthly average and the hobby is cheap compared to a lot of other hobbies.

At the end of the day why whinge about spending a bit more money on something you enjoy?

Associate
Blimey I hope that was for 128GB of SUPER DOOPER LED Bacon Sandwich and a cuppa in the morning RAM. Or you bought a very cheap CPU and Mobo? Can I ask what ram you bought and how much it was? (Curiosity, of course). No wonder people are turning to consoles for just gaming. :D

I went for 32gb ddr4 (trident Z RGB 3200mhz cl14), certainly not the cheapest ddr4 available. Full build is on partpicker here https://uk.************.com/b/zNYTwP#partlist

*Looking at my parts list, I should have said *almost* more expensive than mobo+CPU, I think I was misremembering my mobo price!

Caporegime
I can see someone talking a holiday :p
I hope not but some here really need to chill out. We have all paid too much for something at some point in our life but that doesn't mean others have the right to chastise those that have paid too much. I would hate to see someone suspended etc but I would also like to see them leave Tris alone and move on.

Back
Top Bottom