• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1080ti to 2080 rtx upgrade. Is it worth it?

Associate
Hi guys

I've decided to upgrade my other pc which currently has evga 1080ti inside it. PC has 1080p monitor(xv2420t 120hz), but in few months time I will upgrade to 1440.

Now question is, are these RTX worth it? I am looking at EVGA FTW3 2080, ive seen that it is basically a 1080ti and there are not many rt games out there. What is the best to do, im looking to keep this 2080 card for at least 2-3 years and use only for gaming.If I go with 2080, which is the best performance wise?

Thanks in advance.

edited: typo

Last edited:
Associate
I'm sure many other people will tell you to wait until you absolutely have to upgrade. We are so close to something being announced for Navi, possibly next week and we'll see what effect that has on other GPU prices.

For what it's worth, I'm struggling to see anything worth changing my EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 for. I had thought about a complete change to team red and getting a Radeon VII, but that will be more of a sidegrade.

As you say, there seems to be limited adoption of RT at the moment through Turing.

Caporegime
It'll be quite an upgrade, as the thread states its a 980Ti hes going from, but as said above, its worth waiting now, as LAVI might get Nvidia to drop prices, so you could get one cheaper, and they are rumoured to be bringing out an RTX refresh.

Soldato
It sounds like you currently have a 980Ti and not a 1080Ti and are pondering moving to a 1080Ti or 2080 if I am reading things correctly?

First I would wait to get the new monitor which sounds to be a few months away still. If it’s a 60hz panel, the 980Ti could actually prove a good showing. Now if it’s a higher refresh rate panel then sure an upgrade may be in order depending on games / settings your after. At that point it depends on price, an RTX2080 would be preferable over a 1080Ti but as I say, it’s price dependent. Right now the 1080ti goes for around 450 - 550 and 2080 starts from 650+ but in return you get RTX support and and new card. With all that said, wait until you get your monitor, possible NAVI may change things, Nvidia apparently have a memory refresh on the cards or we may see some movement on prices.

Associate
OP
Just to clarify I am jumping from
It sounds like you currently have a 980Ti and not a 1080Ti and are pondering moving to a 1080Ti or 2080 if I am reading things correctly?

First I would wait to get the new monitor which sounds to be a few months away still. If it’s a 60hz panel, the 980Ti could actually prove a good showing. Now if it’s a higher refresh rate panel then sure an upgrade may be in order depending on games / settings your after. At that point it depends on price, an RTX2080 would be preferable over a 1080Ti but as I say, it’s price dependent. Right now the 1080ti goes for around 450 - 550 and 2080 starts from 650+ but in return you get RTX support and and new card. With all that said, wait until you get your monitor, possible NAVI may change things, Nvidia apparently have a memory refresh on the cards or we may see some movement on prices.

Sorry, it is 1080ti not 980ti. I have now fixed this typo. I will wait and see what happens with AMD, hopefully there will be a price drop. In particular am after EVGA 2080 FTW3 OR XC Ultra Gaming.

Soldato
If you're games are stuttering then upgrade.
If there's still a few more years left, then don't upgrade. I don't know why people have to ask.

There's 9 months MOT left on my car, shall I get it renewed now or shall I wait? :D

Associate
OP
If you're games are stuttering then upgrade.
If there's still a few more years left, then don't upgrade. I don't know why people have to ask.

There's 9 months MOT left on my car, shall I get it renewed now or shall I wait? :D

Thanks for getting back. My games are running fine, I saw how Ray tracing works and fell in love with it basically lol. It seems like a future of the video games so I thought why not. I'll read more about upcoming cards from AMD, might as well try AMD card for once in my life..

Soldato
As everyone else has said, don't bother, especially at either 1080 or 1440.

Might be worthwhile maybe considering a G-sync monitor. That's the route I went. Years left in that combo then.

Back
Top Bottom