• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10900kf max turbo freq

Associate
So just got a new 10900kf (after a bit of googling i decided to get the kf as there seemed to be no difference other than onboard graphics.

Coming from a 6800k and running some simple benchmarks it seems to be giving me double the scores I was getting before.

Going here to this link to read the specs I see the cpu can boost to 5.3ghz, although I only ever see mine going to 4.9ghz https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...900kf-processor-20m-cache-up-to-5-30-ghz.html

Under load the cpu is at about 83 degrees.

My question is: is that 5.3 based on heat? If my cpu was cooler would it then hit the 5.3ghz? Or if that just has nothing to do with it then how/when does it hit the 5.3ghz :)

Ive tried googling this but it assumes im asking about overclocking.

Associate
In lightly threaded tasks and with enough cooling (below 70C) the 10900k is capable of increasing the speed of a single core to 5.3Ghz. This is the thermal velocity boost turbo (what a mouthful) that takes advantage of spare thermal headroom to push the best performing core higher when temperature allows it. Thermal Velocity boost also allows an all core speed of 4.9Ghz.

When there isn't enough thermal headroom the CPU will use Turbo Boost 2 for 5.1Ghz single core or Turbo Boost 3 for 5.2Ghz single core. All core boost under these modes is 4.8Ghz.

All of this depends heavily on the work being done and the amount of cooling available. But if you can't keep the CPU below 70degrees C you won't see it Turbo to 5.3Ghz. And it will only happen in lightly threaded workloads where there are many unused cores not generating heat. Don't forget that all of Intel's marketing for the boost clocks uses the words "up to" which is marketing speak for we guarantee nothing and you can't do anything about it.

Associate
OP
In lightly threaded tasks and with enough cooling (below 70C) the 10900k is capable of increasing the speed of a single core to 5.3Ghz. This is the thermal velocity boost turbo (what a mouthful) that takes advantage of spare thermal headroom to push the best performing core higher when temperature allows it. Thermal Velocity boost also allows an all core speed of 4.9Ghz.

When there isn't enough thermal headroom the CPU will use Turbo Boost 2 for 5.1Ghz single core or Turbo Boost 3 for 5.2Ghz single core. All core boost under these modes is 4.8Ghz.

All of this depends heavily on the work being done and the amount of cooling available. But if you can't keep the CPU below 70degrees C you won't see it Turbo to 5.3Ghz. And it will only happen in lightly threaded workloads where there are many unused cores not generating heat. Don't forget that all of Intel's marketing for the boost clocks uses the words "up to" which is marketing speak for we guarantee nothing and you can't do anything about it.

Thanks for this!

EDIT: I assume that's proper water cooling to keep temps that low?

Associate
Thanks for this!

EDIT: I assume that's proper water cooling to keep temps that low?
It depends on the workload. A custom loop would almost certainly do the trick but I don’t know if it is necessary or not. I also don’t know how hot the 10900k/f runs in general, so I’m not sure where air cooling or AIOs sit in terms of temps. The ambient temperature will also have a large influence on how easy it is to stay below 70 degrees, so that is something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom