10gb direct cable link to server

Associate
Hi All,

Just updated my home server to a xeon d motherboard/ cpu which comes with both dual 1Gb and dual 10Gb LAN. I'm trying to work out the best way to utilise the 10gb connection between a couple of windows machines and the server without having to fork out for a 10gb switch.

So to lay it all out:

Server:
Running Centos 7.2 linux
NIC 1 (1Gb) connected to my switch for general machine and internet access with static IP in the 192.168.x.x range with 255.255.255.0 subnet mask
NIC 3 (10Gb) direct cable connected to windows machine

Windows machine
NIC1 (1Gb) connected to my switch for general machine and internet access (DHCP)
NIC 3 (Asus 10Gb) direct cable connected to NIC 3 on server

I've had a couple of thoughts here:

• If I put the 10Gb NICs on a different subnet mask would that mean when they are transferring between Server and windows PC it would use the 10Gb link?
  • Do I put the 10Gb NICs on a completely different IP range to the 1Gb?
  • Can I use the hosts file to force usage of the 10Gb between the specific machines?
Among other things the aim is to be able to edit broadcast quality 4k video directly from the server array using the 10Gb link.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Thanks,

E-I

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice guys!

So tried a different IP range for the 10Gb NICs but when copying a folder from the server to the windows machine its limited to 110MBs and task manager only shows activity on the 1Gb NIC.

Do I need a different subnet mast for the 10Gb (currently on 255.255.255.0 same as 1Gb), and what do I do as far as default gateway and DNS, both of which are currently empty on the 10Gb NICs

Thanks again!

E-I

Caporegime
What you've done is fine regarding the subnet mask and dns/gateway values.

I mean in theory you could use a smaller address range rather than a full /24 but it's unnecessary. Can you ping between the two machines on the IP addresses on the 10Gb NICs?

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Definitely need to use the IP of the 10G link. Work it out with tracert.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

To confirm you are going where you think you are going. Completely standard.

Associate
OP
Can you ping between the two machines on the IP addresses on the 10Gb NICs?

Sorry all, been offline since yesterday, only just catching up.

Tried pinging the IP of the server via its 10Gb NIC IP and got no response. 1Gb NIC IP pings fine.

Tried accessing server from windows machine using either IP and no response either...

I struggle with Samba settings so wondered if that was involved as for some reason I can only access the server share with this line in my hosts file on the windows amchine (with X's being the IP of the machine).

192.168.x.x Rocky Server

I also added for the 10Gb:

172.20.x.x Rocky Server

But that didn't help...

Any thoughts appreciated!

E-I

Associate
OP
Okay... update...

I was being a bit stupid I'm afraid... 10Gb NIC on Server wasn't set to autostart on boot...

So able to ping 10Gb IP now and if I navigate via IP of 10Gb to share and copy a large folder of video files over I'm getting up to 400 MB/s which is probably the speed of my array.

I'll report back once I've played a bit more.

Thanks everyone!

E-I

Soldato
Sorry all, been offline since yesterday, only just catching up.

Tried pinging the IP of the server via its 10Gb NIC IP and got no response. 1Gb NIC IP pings fine.

Is the server firewall set to allow pings on the 10 Gb NIC?

Tried accessing server from windows machine using either IP and no response either...

How about pinging the workstation from the server?

I struggle with Samba settings so wondered if that was involved as for some reason I can only access the server share with this line in my hosts file on the windows amchine (with X's being the IP of the machine).

192.168.x.x Rocky Server

I also added for the 10Gb:

172.20.x.x Rocky Server

Try no spaces in the name and only the 172 IP address

Back
Top Bottom