10x 120mm Fans Get Tested With a Fog Machine

Associate
Hi Everyone,

Firstly I'd just like to say a massive thank you to the members of the forum, I have found everyone to be the most welcoming, supporting and helpful that I've come across.

I've finally uploaded the fog test to my channel: http://youtu.be/agXhBh74n2c

In this video I test the airflow of the following fans:
Noctua NF-F12
Silverstone Air Penetrator AP121
Cooler Master SickleFlow 120
Phobya Nano-2G
Bitfenix Spectre Pro LED
Fractal Design FD-FAN-120
Scythe SY1225SL12SH
Corsair Fans (included with the H100)
Enermax T.B.Silence
LIAN LI LI121225BL-4

Just thought I'd remind everyone that whilst the Noctua NF-F12 doesn't have the narrowest stream of smoke, it did outperform both the Silverstone and the BitFenix in the first performance comparison.
This will be analysed in detail in my upcoming video.

There's many other fans that I'd love to test and I hope to one day soon upload a part 2.

I'm still very new to YouTube and have much room to improve. Feedback is always welcomed.

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice video and provides some useful information.

I would have liked the sound from the fan tests to be on the video rather than silence and you still sound a little uncomfortable and sound a bit like you are reading from a script off camera or something. I'm sure you'll get there. Still so much better than I could do though.

Associate
just watched both your vids and subscribed (which i rarely do)

nowt wrong with your camera
you know your mics not great and will be fixing that problem
experiments are well thought out and executed
it would probably be more accurate with the rad fans if you but the side of the case back on though because most people do this.
you talk a little bit fast probably just nerves though
your voice is hypnotic!
you have a great rack too lol

any chance you could test this fan?
Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm 1850 RPM
im thinking of getting 3 of them (push/pull on water cooler rad and 1 for the case itself)
overall very good keep at it :)

Soldato
Cool, the spectre pro puts out a nice channel of air, still no competition for the AP121 in that dept though :)

Whats next on the agenda then?

I think adding fans such as the Akasa Viper & Apache as well as GT1850 and GT1450 would prove very popular.

Soldato
Do the Silverstone AP121s really work well on radiators/cpu coolers?
I'd have thought that the 'spiral' of air is obstructed by the fins of the cooler/radiator.

And especially with radiators the air pretty much has to go through the fins anyway doesn't it (not really anywhere else for it to go) so does it matter how focused it is? Does the AP121 get rid of the dead spot in the centre of the fan as I'd imagine that's the worst thing for a rad/cooler.

I also agree with all of pzr vr6's points. :)

Soldato
I personally wouldn't say the AP121's are great for rads, designed for intake fans more than anything, think bottom mounted blowing up towards a GPU ;)

Associate
I'd have thought that the 'spiral' of air is obstructed by the fins of the cooler/radiator.

And especially with radiators the air pretty much has to go through the fins anyway doesn't it (not really anywhere else for it to go) so does it matter how focused it is? Does the AP121 get rid of the dead spot in the centre of the fan as I'd imagine that's the worst thing for a rad/cooler.

looking at the fan focus effect surely less focused is better because itl dissipate the heat to atmmosphere better rather than create a hotspot around the fan exit?

Associate
OP
Nice!
But I would like to see some Scythe GT 1850 and 1450 fans as well(as they are the most popular RAD fans).

They will be included in the fog test part 2 video, but this wont be uploaded until May unfortunately. Thanks for the feedback.

Nice video and provides some useful information.

I would have liked the sound from the fan tests to be on the video rather than silence and you still sound a little uncomfortable and sound a bit like you are reading from a script off camera or something. I'm sure you'll get there. Still so much better than I could do though.

Thanks for the feedback, I couldn't record the sound from the fans as there was too much background noise at the time of testing.

While I don't read from a script I do write down a rough idea of what I'm going to say prior to filming. I hope that'll improve with time.

just watched both your vids and subscribed (which i rarely do)

nowt wrong with your camera
you know your mics not great and will be fixing that problem
experiments are well thought out and executed
it would probably be more accurate with the rad fans if you but the side of the case back on though because most people do this.
you talk a little bit fast probably just nerves though
your voice is hypnotic!
you have a great rack too lol

any chance you could test this fan?
Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm 1850 RPM
im thinking of getting 3 of them (push/pull on water cooler rad and 1 for the case itself)
overall very good keep at it :)

lol thanks for the feedback,

I will be testing that fan but it won't be for a while unfortunately.

Associate
OP
Cool, the spectre pro puts out a nice channel of air, still no competition for the AP121 in that dept though :)

Whats next on the agenda then?

I think adding fans such as the Akasa Viper & Apache as well as GT1850 and GT1450 would prove very popular.

More fans on the way :)

As for the agenda, many more fan reviews and comparisons, then onto something bigger :p

Great comparison, the Silverstone is very focused indeed!! The Coolermaster Sickleflow don't look to bad, which I suppose is good considering I might be getting some :)

The Sickleflow fans are very good for the money, however I've noticed many online shops increasing their price recently. I paid under £5 each for mine.

nice video once again, keep up the great work!

Associate
OP

I personally wouldn't say the AP121's are great for rads, designed for intake fans more than anything, think bottom mounted blowing up towards a GPU ;)

I will be analyzing this in my next video, should be interesting...I hope.

Interesting stuff! Fans compare! Great video too. :)

Thank You

Soldato
Great reviews, good video, lovely presenter:eek:, good to see girl power.:o
Would be great if you could include air volume cfm's for the fans.

You can add BeQuiet Silent Wings USC fans to list to test.

Associate
:D enjoying the second video keep it up,

noticed you did take on the advice people posted, so thats nice to see. It was better with you talking a little slower :D

Only criticism was that the silence during the fan phase went on a while, even if all i heard was the fans i'd prefer that to the silence.

Other than that great video, i was disappointed with the noctua though... The silverstone though was like an arrow :D

Back
Top Bottom