• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

11 gen on a Z490?

Associate
Hi! Before i knew that intel was going to release their 11 gen in march this year i bought the motherboard MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WIFI since i got it for a very good price and because my original plan was to roll with an i5 10600k. But after i got this information i've put the 10600k on hold since the next gen will be compatible with the Z490 boards, but i wonder, is it in any way suboptimal to run a new gen on a previous gen chipset? Like many do with the ryzen 500 series och B550 boards? Also, do you guys think that there will be a big performance difference in gaming between the 10600k and 11600k? Looking at the recent passmark the new i7 and i9 look promising.

https://www.thetechstreetnow.com/te...mark/9188836911624770190/9188836911624770190/

Soldato
Unsure about Intel but I am currently using a AMD 3600 in an B350M gigabyte board and all it needed was a bios update to work.

As long as the bios supports the processor then it shouldn't an issue.

Soldato
It does, the problem is that it doesn't have a bios flashback and i don't have any old processor compatible with that socket/chipset to upgrade it >_<
That's a pain, your going to need to "borrow" or "buy" a supported CPU first before you can update the bios.

I guess thats 1 good thing about AMD, they do a boot kit where if this happens you can request a supported CPU which they send and then you update the bios and send it back without the cooler.

Associate
OP
New gen cpu will demand a premium price.

They're actually not that expensive if the leaked prices are accurate, the 11600k will only be around 18$ higher than the 10600k here in Sweden.

That's a pain, your going to need to "borrow" or "buy" a supported CPU first before you can update the bios.

I guess thats 1 good thing about AMD, they do a boot kit where if this happens you can request a supported CPU which they send and then you update the bios and send it back without the cooler.

Yea, that really is a big plus with AMD, also that many of the supported boards have BIOS flashback.

Back
Top Bottom