• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

11400 vs 12100 opinions?

Associate
Hello, I was looking at pricing up a decent budget machine and its currently a toss up between these 2.

With the slight price differences between viable motherboards the total cost is very similar, and in the case of the i3 I would be going for a DDR4 version mobo as the price of DDR5 just isn't viable.

Mostly gaming, with some general desktop usage thrown in

So what do we think?
11400 has the core count advantage but the 12100 is faster core for core and offers a couple newer features
I think I'm leaning 11400 just because I'm worried the quad core might hold me back in future games.

Associate
Hello, I was looking at pricing up a decent budget machine and its currently a toss up between these 2.

With the slight price differences between viable motherboards the total cost is very similar, and in the case of the i3 I would be going for a DDR4 version mobo as the price of DDR5 just isn't viable.

Mostly gaming, with some general desktop usage thrown in

So what do we think?
11400 has the core count advantage but the 12100 is faster core for core and offers a couple newer features
I think I'm leaning 11400 just because I'm worried the quad core might hold me back in future games.

11400, you can pick up a 12400f for £180 if your budget can stretch, its much better. Probably the best value cpu atm

Associate
OP
At my budget the extra 40 quid or so going up to the 12400 represents a full 10% total cost increase.

But it looks like the consensus is go for a 6 core.
Thanks all

Soldato
i think they been adjusted as no one was buying b660 boards for 180
Was likely just some retailers trying to milk customers at release but those that are in the market for B series boards are far less likely to overpay so it was inevitable that prices would crash once stock started to pile up on shelves.

Soldato
whats the best priced b660 board to go for ? especially onboard sound ? some are poor sound wise.

if your not after studio quality i thought most if not all onboard now days was upto the task of home use and 90% use the sound from the GFX card now days too.

This is a question not a statement.

Caporegime
no many boards have crap onboard sound. especially if you upgrading from decent oldstuff. actually hard to find what boards use.

also people think because the b660 boards are high priced better off getting a cheap 690 board. then you go look at some of them and they have terrible issues or reviews.

msi 690 pro a for eg read through reviews....internet dropping out..constantly cpu red lights. lots of issues.

Man of Honour
I would not buy a 4 core 8 thread CPU now unless your budget is very restricted. You need a lot more than a MHz advantage to make up the difference in an increasing number of games and applications.

Back
Top Bottom