1200-1300 pc advise needed

Associate
hi so i want a pc for gaming pre built cos im lazy and aint well understood in pc building so any ideas for a good pc thanks im just looking for base pc i already have a monitor keyboard mouse im just switching pc

Last edited:
Associate
All depends on what you want it for.. 1080, 4k etc and the type of game to give us a better idea of your needs. do u need a monitor, mouse and keyboard also within the buget?

Associate
OP
i have a monitor keyboard all that stuff just switching the pc im using to a new one so the type of game im playing wow atm high end raiding so fps is needed id like to play black desert on pretty decent fps

Associate
My main gripe with pre-built is that there is always a compromise to cover the cost of having it built.

Either you are going to get a previous generation cpu or an underpowered graphics card.

My advice if you still want to do pre-built is to make sure you get the CPU that you want. Swapping out a graphics card is simple, even for a first timer, so I wouldn't be too worried about the card being a tier lower than if you bought and built yourself.

Associate
OP
yeah i understand the whole price issue either i build it myself and some how **** it up or just do prebuilt save myself the stress the cpu has been the thing ive been keeping an eye on so many types of cpu its very confusing

Associate
OP
so would that be the best cpu i could reach for the budget i have cos intel have so many it confuses me a lot all these i5 i7 different versions thats the gpu

ZotacGeForce GTX 1060 AMP Edition 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express ?

Associate
Okay so the 8xxx series is the latest. This is important because they have gone up from 4 cores to 6 cores.

If you buy a 6xxx or 7xxx i5 then you are only getting 4 cores.

With the new i5 being 6 cores it makes it perform almost identical to the previous 4 core i7.

The competitor is AMD, they have new processors due out imminently. This means that previous generation processors should be going cheap and pre-built systems containing them "should" see a price drop.

In gaming terms the AMD R5 series is very close the Intel i5 series.

The AMD R7 series is a little behind the Intel i7 series but it's considered a "better all-rounder".

You shouldn't stress about it all that much. CPU choice probably accounts for the last 10 frames per second. Your graphics card choice will affect the other 100 frames.

Associate
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...P2.vZbjQQ2u1ZbjRe2.w*bkeO2.##bkpS2-+*bkqL2-)~

That is a pretty solid well priced £1000 rig. Save your £300 extra and upgrade to a new graphics card in a year or 2, depending on price/performance. Hopefully the mining craze will have died down by then. If you must have the newest I7 (the I5 is pretty awesome tbh), then that upgrade is about £110 extra)

The current 1060 is better than the last generation 970 (and runs with less power/cooler). One assumes the new 2060 or whatever they call them will be better than the current 1070, but the performance increase isn't worth the exorbitant extra cost from 1060-1070 atm.

Associate
OP
ok thanks for telling me about the whole intel cpu stuff always been cofusing to me and for moor i dont mind pushing the amount of money im willing to spend to get the best pc i can the bitcoin mining stuff? think ive heard a bit about the whole gpu stuff

Associate
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...P2.vZbjQQ2u1ZbjRe2.w*bkeO2.##bkpS2-+*bkqL2-)~

That is a pretty solid well priced £1000 rig. Save your £300 extra and upgrade to a new graphics card in a year or 2, depending on price/performance. Hopefully the mining craze will have died down by then. If you must have the newest I7 (the I5 is pretty awesome tbh), then that upgrade is about £110 extra)

The current 1060 is better than the last generation 970 (and runs with less power/cooler). One assumes the new 2060 or whatever they call them will be better than the current 1070, but the performance increase isn't worth the exorbitant extra cost from 1060-1070 atm.
This is good advice. Graphics cards are commonly changed compared to processors. It doesn't matter all that much if you swap the graphics card next year to something more powerful once budget allows for it.

Personally though, if I was pricing for an i5 then I would take the AMD R5 in it's place, just down to it being multi-threaded

Soldato
Ocuk can also build PC on parts request
Might cost extra £200 ontop but would have to ask them. Done it for a few members

Gtx 1060 for your 1080p, larger PSU then needed but good quality and can handle larger GPU in future. Solid case and massive 1TB SSD for MMO games :)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,008.47 (includes shipping: £12.60)​

Associate
As an example - with high specs included for memory/hard drive on any of these builds (which can be scaled back), this is what your money could get you.

£1025. I5 processor, 1060 graphics card.

£1136 I7 processor, 1060 graphics card.

£1315 I7 processory, 1070 graphics card.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...P2.vZbjQQ2-ZXbjRe2.w*bkeO2.##bkpS2-+*bkqL2-)~

That £1300 machine is about the most that money can buy at the moment on your budget (although with memory/hard drive configs scaled down, you could probably increase processor/graphics options further on different builds).

What would I do in such a situation? Well, the I5 is a great processor and has 6 cores, but the hyper-threaded I7 does run faster and is more future proofed (both are brand new chip as well). I hate the word future proofed, because we're often proved wrong, but on processors we're now moving quite slowly and actually single core performance really isn't improving much at the moment. I'd be perfectly happy with the I5, which is more than sufficient for most peoples needs, but the I7 is a good chip too so it's about preference and affordability.

The 1060 is the best priced "value" card at the moment (value/budget being a loose term because it's selling for more than twice its MSRP because of the supply issues relating to mining demand). The thing is the 1070 is great, but it's in a different category really. It is a high end card, and high end cards are power hungry and age quickly for the price point. The 1060 can play almost any game out there on full settings at close to 60fps. That makes it in my eyes the stand out graphics card in the market right now and the 1070 a waste of upto £200 extra. In 18 months or so, in all likelyhood that £200 will actually buy you a new graphics chip that is better than the 1070 (if you need to, the 1060 should remain more than adequate by then).

It comes down to choice, what you want it for, and budgetary constraints. In my world, the £1025 machine is perfect right now, but the I7 upgrade could be worth it for heavy usage. The 1070 upgrade simply isn't worth it because of the gpu shortage atm.

If you have £1300 to spend now and don't plan/want to think about upgrading later, spend £1300. But it is probably wise to spend less.

Last edited:
Associate
there is one thing that confuses me is ghz on cpus like that i7 is 3.2ghz

So 3.2ghz is base frequency, but in can turbo boost to 4.6ghz.
The I5 is clocked at 2.8ghz and boosts to 4.0.

Both are very fast. The I7 will run about 10% quicker and handle multiple tasks at once better, but will probably draw more power and run hotter (although they are both rated at 65w, so no great difference in overall power draw)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom