£1200 - Dell Studio XPS 16 - with ssd?

Soldato
Neither - its a Nokia E63 :)

The leather is also exactly the same colour as the plastic on the case, the flash makes it look pinkish though

Associate
The 4670 has a lot more grunt than a 9600m. I have owned both (msi gx720 & sxps 16)

The sxps is a great laptop with one problem...HEAT!

Build quality is great
Performance is top notch
Looks good
but damn does it run hot. This is mostly due to the poor thermal design.

I put AS5 on the cpu and gpu, undervolted the cpu and raised the back of the laptop up and it still runs hot.
The touchpad is almost unusable and the palm rests are scorchio when gaming. You could also fry eggs on the underside. I havent tried a notebook cooler on it but then I dont see why you should need one on a main stream laptop.

If this is used purely as a desktop replacement then I think you can overlook the heat but dont expect to use it on your lap without cooler or laptray

How did you undervolt the cpu? In all the laptops i've used the bios only lets you choose boot order...thats it

Associate
I use RMClock. Its free and there are guides on the net.

I run my cpu at 1v instead of 1.2v and it drops the temps by approx 10c on load.

If you need a hand just give me a hout

Soldato
Just ordered mine - went for the i7, SSD, white 1080p RGBLED, but decided against the Bluray drive. ETA is about 2 weeks or so :). Came out about £1100 after discount and quidco.

Soldato
Just ordered mine - went for the i7, SSD, white 1080p RGBLED, but decided against the Bluray drive. ETA is about 2 weeks or so :). Came out about £1100 after discount and quidco.

Jealous! If I was spending that much, I'd have got the BluRay though. I'd love to see the RGBLED, even the WLED is staggeringly good.

Would be surprised if you get it in 2 weeks though, mine took 3 or 4

Soldato
The ssd is pointless as the cooling fans will make enough noise anyway

Just LOL...

I'm not sure what all the fuss with heat is about anyway, I was playing COD4 on mine last night for an hour and it got a bit warm, but definitely wasnt hot. The fans were running quite high but they're relatively quiet and the good speakers drown it out easily :)

Soldato
Jealous! If I was spending that much, I'd have got the BluRay though. I'd love to see the RGBLED, even the WLED is staggeringly good.

Would be surprised if you get it in 2 weeks though, mine took 3 or 4

I was initially going for the Bluray, but after pondering it for a while I just can't see myself using it. I have a Ps3 which I watch Blurays on, and if I ever found myself travelling much I'd probably just buy an external Bluray drive and rip them to the SSD. I'm gonna use the £99 I saved to buy some good headphones and an external keyboard :)

Associate
jamief, how did you manage that price? I thought the base 1645 with i7 was nearly 1100!!!

iaind, were you using a cooler? did you not find the palmrest and touchpad got really hot? (I may just have a lemon but mine gets scorchio and without cooler and underclocking it throttles whilst gaming)

Soldato
If you goto dell.com and use quickfind code N00X6501, you should see the i7 with RGBLED screen for £1199. Then add the SSD (£30). Use discount code 64VSL34Q7Z20VL for 5% off, and a final 5% off vida Quidco.com (although the quidco cashback is pre-vat and delivery so works out about 4% of total or something like that)

Soldato
jamief, how did you manage that price? I thought the base 1645 with i7 was nearly 1100!!!

iaind, were you using a cooler? did you not find the palmrest and touchpad got really hot? (I may just have a lemon but mine gets scorchio and without cooler and underclocking it throttles whilst gaming)

Nope and nope, just on a table - got warm to the touch but by no means uncomfortable

Maybe its my measly 2.13Ghz CPU

Associate
I have the 2.8 C2D and i dont think it gets thaaat hot. I mean it is hot to touch, but i've yet to have any problems with being used on a desk when gaming. I will probably still try and undervolt mine, just to reduce the heat a little.

Associate
That is a pretty good price, but it only comes with 1 year Hardware support.
I'd be wary of ending up with a £1k bookend after a year if it goes bang.

Can anyone reassure me otherwise?

Soldato

Just like any other PC, parts are replaceable - the XPS 16 also has one really simple cover on the back which gives you access to all the internals so repairs are easy peasy.

Had my old Dell for more than 2 years without a single hitch

Associate
I have to admit to being a little out of touch with laptops these days.

From reading here I get the impression that CPU's are replaceable now, rather than being hardwired to the motherboard as they once were.
Memory is all replaceable as ever, except on really rubbish Laptops (Toshiba).

How about everything else, I assume it is all integrated on the Motherboard?

Associate

Ok; I went for the 3 year support. (Actually not sure that was very reassuring!)

Other things that are replaceable are the WLAN/WWAN/BT modules, hard drive, optical drive, keyboard and possibly the GPU (Not sure on that one). The screen is also replaceable but a fair bit more work and costly too- might be better off buying a new laptop i guess!

On the topic of the GPU, does anyone know if the existing card (4670 in my case) could be replaced with something faster in the future??

Back
Top Bottom