£1200 - Dell Studio XPS 16 - with ssd?

Soldato
1) Not sure exactly, depends on what you are doing.

2) With my XPS M1530, I was offered a warranty extension when the first year was up.

3) Yep, you can use discount codes & quidco.

Soldato

XPS 16
Intel Core i7 1.60
Win 7 Home Premium 64bit
1 YR standard warranty
16" 1080p HD RGBLED
4GB DDR3
128GB SSD
9-cell 85Whr
DVD-RW
1GB ATI HD 4670
Wireless/Bluetooth

...comes to £1201.78 (without using quidco)

If I can pull this down to under £1100 I think I'm ordering :D

Associate
Get one, you wont regret it! Really starting to appreciate mine, its great to have such a good screen on a laptop- I do a lot of photo editing so it means i always have access to photos on the move. HiDef content is fun too!

Associate

XPS 16
Intel Core i7 1.60
Win 7 Home Premium 64bit
1 YR standard warranty
16" 1080p HD RGBLED
4GB DDR3
128GB SSD
9-cell 85Whr
DVD-RW
1GB ATI HD 4670
Wireless/Bluetooth

...comes to £1201.78 (without using quidco)

If I can pull this down to under £1100 I think I'm ordering :D

Just done the same spec for £1072, so 5% quidco on that to brings it down to £1018

good deal!

Soldato
Just done the same spec for £1072, so 5% quidco on that to brings it down to £1018

good deal!

How?

Just tried it again and it seems there's a slightly bigger discount this week compared to last week. I got that spec for £1163.98 without quidco. How are you getting it for ~£90 cheaper?

Associate
I'm considering a Studio XPS 16 at the moment, and am torn between one with an i7 processor - but without TV tuner and with only wireless G, and a one with a core 2 P8700 with everying I want (wireless N, TV tuner). It's a bit wierd that the latest processor model seems to have less options...

My question is, whilst the i7 is undoubtably the faster, for general usage (browsing, multimedia, movies, email), is an i7 overkill? I don't envisage any gaming in a big way, so would a Core 2 duo at 2.53GHz do the job? Or is it worth having a lesser spec extra-wise for a more modern platform with more power? Both systems come within a shout of each other price-wise...

Associate
Well my screen seems to have gone ****-up this morning :( More specifically the backlight, when i turn it on the bios screens look normal but when it gets to the windows logon screen the whole backlight seems to either flash red,green,blue,white rapidly, slowly fade between colours but very dim or its just completely blank.

Hoping it could be some sort of software driver issue, but i'm guessing the panel has gone faulty.

Going to plug it into a monitor later and see if i get an output, backup my files and try reinstalling.

Associate
Haha, busted by the swear filter. Lucky this isnt a bird watching forum or it'd be impossible to talk about a certain species of small bird thats shares its name with a particular part of the female body.

Associate
If the BIOS/Windows loading screen is normal my guess is a software problem. Try running the Dell diagnostics, it tests the screen.

Edit - F12 on boot and select diagnostics in case you arent sure

Associate
Well this is strange... turned it on this evening and all is well. No flashing colours, no blank screen.

Ran the diagnostics for good measure and all seemed well, i will keep an eye on it and will run them again if the problem reoccurs.

A bit worrying, i want a laptop thats dependable, i dont want to worry every time i turn it on if the screens gonna work!!

Sam

Sam

Soldato
I ordered mine yesterday

Base Intel® CoreT i7 Processor 720QM (1.60Ghz, 6MB cache)
Memory 4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]
Keyboard Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard
Video Card 1GB ATI® RadeonT HD 4670 graphics card
Hard Drive 128GB Solid State SATA Drive
Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit- English
Optical Devices Internal DVD+/-RW (DVD & CD read and write) Slot Load Drive
Wireless Networking Dell Wireless 1397 Mini Card (802.11 b/g)

Cost me £996.64 - 5% quidco

Looking forward to it coming allthough the expected delivery date is 01/01/2010 haha

Wants to be quicker than that ;)

Sam

Sam

Soldato
Is it really worth the extra money ?

Im not planning on playing blueray movies etc on it as i didnt spec the blueray drive

Soldato
Is it really worth the extra money ?

Im not planning on playing blueray movies etc on it as i didnt spec the blueray drive

From the reviews, yes. I wouldn't spend £1000 on a laptop and then get the inferior screen, especially as the screen is (imo) the most important part in most setups.

Associate
I have the WLED 1080p screen and also didnt think the £190 could be justified.
My screen is the best I have ever owned on a laptop and I have been through a lot :)

If the RGB had been £100 I would have considered it, especially as the US pay less than $200 for the upgrade

Sam

Sam

Soldato
Think i will stay with what i have ... The cost is allready nearly a grand and i just dont think the extra £190 is really worth it ...

Associate
Hope it turns up this year for you. My predicted delivery date was spot on (To the day) However dad recently ordered a studio 15 and was given 31/12/09 as the delivery date, yet it turned up yesterday 25/11.. so you might be ok.

I do really like the screen on mine (I have the RGBLED) i've not seen the WLED so cant comment if its as good/worse etc. For me the screen was THE selling point, but then i do lots of image editing and i'm using it for bluray too.

Does anyone have a picture of the 15.6" screen? I would be interested to see how much smaller it looks (If at all) over the 16" screen.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
I Just called dell (went to some call centre in india) asked the rather unhelpfull women to change my spec to the 16' and i would pay the extra. Was told no sorry cannot do that i have to cancel my order and start again.

:confused:

What a load of crap, i only ordered the thing yesterday and im trying to give them more of my bloody money :mad:

Oh well ... Maybe its a sign i dont need this 16' display ;)

Back
Top Bottom