120mph on the M6, I’m presuming a ban? (Not for me!)

Soldato
Not that I do those kind of speeds on UK roads and pay far too much attention to my speeds - but to be fair on an empty multi-lane highway in bigger more powerful vehicles it can be quite deceptive.
Yeah creeping up to 80 maybe. Not 115. As I said before, if you find yourself at those speeds without realising then you shouldn't be driving.

Man of Honour
Yeah creeping up to 80 maybe. Not 115. As I said before, if you find yourself at those speeds without realising then you shouldn't be driving.

While I agree if people aren't realising they shouldn't be driving I think you vastly underestimate how deceptively some big performance vehicles hide their speed (unless you've got traffic whizzing by to judge by). Some of them you can ease from 70 to 115 no sweat, no drama, barely any movement on the rev counter. Nothing like the experience in say your average 2L hatchback where you'd be reving it out to do the same thing and with the high up riding position you don't get the same sense of speed from just the road and surroundings.

Soldato
While I agree if people aren't realising they shouldn't be driving I think you vastly underestimate how deceptively some big performance vehicles hide their speed (unless you've got traffic whizzing by to judge by). Some of them you can ease from 70 to 115 no sweat, no drama, barely any movement on the rev counter. Nothing like the experience in say your average 2L hatchback where you'd be reving it out to do the same thing and with the high up riding position you don't get the same sense of speed from just the road and surroundings.
I'm not underestimating anything, if people can't read their speedo they clearly aren't paying attention. It's got nothing to do with the car.

Man of Honour
I'm not underestimating anything, if people can't read their speedo they clearly aren't paying attention. It's got nothing to do with the car.

I think you are because some of these big performance SUVs, etc. will effectively creep up to speeds like 115MPH as innocuously as your average car will creep up to 80. (Makes me shudder seeing how complacently/inattentively they are driven sometimes).

Soldato
I think you are because some of these big performance SUVs, etc. will effectively creep up to speeds like 115MPH as innocuously as your average car will creep up to 80. (Makes me shudder sometimes seeing how complacently/inattentively they are driven sometimes).
You are completely missing the point. I'm not sure why people keep defending the indefensible really.

Man of Honour
You are completely missing the point. I'm not sure why people keep defending the indefensible really.

You were latterly talking about creeping up to 80 - the difference in creeping up 70 to 80 can vary hugely depending on vehicle, I don't disagree people who aren't paying attention to their speed shouldn't be driving.

Soldato
I think you are because some of these big performance SUVs, etc. will effectively creep up to speeds like 115MPH as innocuously as your average car will creep up to 80. (Makes me shudder seeing how complacently/inattentively they are driven sometimes).

Almost all of these big expensive modern cars will also undoubtedly have some kind of speed limiter/warning system - if people are struggling to control their speed, maybe they should consider utilising the tools provided to help them do so (although saying that, I still regularly see people in their 21 & 22 plate cars holding their phones even though the car will have a hands free system, so I guess idiots gonna idiot)

Wouldn't surprise me if the people claiming how easy it is are part of the same group complaining about the recent legislation making speed limiters mandatory on new cars - seems a convenient excuse for speeding which is being taken away from them ;)

Man of Honour
Almost all of these big expensive modern cars will also undoubtedly have some kind of speed limiter/warning system - if people are struggling to control their speed, maybe they should consider utilising the tools provided to help them do so.

My brother in laws Jag tells him when he's over and my work colleagues Skoda was showing a red tringle on the dashboard.

Man of Honour
Almost all of these big expensive modern cars will also undoubtedly have some kind of speed limiter/warning system - if people are struggling to control their speed, maybe they should consider utilising the tools provided to help them do so.

Wouldn't surprise me if the people claiming how easy it is are part of the same group complaining about the recent legislation making speed limiters mandatory on new cars - seems a convenient excuse for speeding which is being taken away from them ;)

I find these people tend to have an attitude of careless abandonment as to any reason to take responsibility - until something happens - then they tend to go to the other extreme...

Talking of limiters though I'm amazed that no vehicle I've experience of so far has the ability to one button press engage the limiter at the current indicated limit - the limit recognition on many cars these days is reasonably accurate/reliable but engaging the limiter is still faff and means taking some attention from the road and not really practical outside of highways.

Caporegime
I find these people tend to have an attitude of careless abandonment as to any reason to take responsibility - until something happens - then they tend to go to the other extreme...

Talking of limiters though I'm amazed that no vehicle I've experience of so far has the ability to one button press engage the limiter at the current indicated limit - the limit recognition on many cars these days is reasonably accurate/reliable but engaging the limiter is still faff and means taking some attention from the road and not really practical outside of highways.

My merc does it and my bmw used to do it with the touch of a button.

Soldato

I'm not convinced, both on my wife's 19 plate fiesta and my 69 plate tesla it still missreads (or rather misses entirely) signs that are at the side of the road. There's been times where it thinks a 30 road is a 60 or vice versa. Its even worse down some country lanes where the hedges haven't been trimmed.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
This thread, I mean some of you guys are just LOL #mags

Could you imagine if someone posted a CertiDrivers vid in here? :cry:

Guy will get an automatic summons for a ban, depending on what eveidence he receives he should either plead guilty or fight it (obvs) but if found guilty he'll then have the opportunity to plead extreme hardship, as mentioned in this thread, where if he can show that losing his license will impact someone else (children/vulnerable family member) either due to the inability of transport or financial impact of losing licence.

Re: Speeding unoticably - I'm guessing the majority of those so adamant it's impossible without paying due care have obviously never been in something with real power/boost and a large displacement... and then there's @Dis86 who's just being Dis :D

Reactions: mjt
Back
Top Bottom