120mph on the M6, I’m presuming a ban? (Not for me!)

I didn't say cars. I said non-automated cars.

I know, but the point remains.

I highly doubt automated will be that much more than a gimick still in 20 years time. I mean they need to be implementing it now to have a chance that most cars on the road will even be capable by that point.
You should read his posts in the covid thread. Masks are all about population control etc.

I hadn't realised, thanks for pointing it out.
Nutters hiding in plain sight!
Wont bother wasting any more time in that case.

An improvement would certainly be welcomed, I will admit I do generally sit on the motorway around 85mph indicated in good weather and low traffic conditions and just slow down when passing the fixed cameras. Yes I am breaking the law but if get caught will take it on the chin and not that it makes it right but plenty go whizzing past still who are probably doing around 100, motorways tend to move faster than limits in place, especially the M6 TOLL, plenty on there moving along way beyond 100 and I've never seen an accident yet on the TOLL road but in fairness it always seems very quiet on there.

M6 toll, I used to use that years ago.
Only place I have been doing 120 on the inside lane, being overtaken by something travelling much faster who was also being overtaken by something much faster :)
Was never sure if it was true and there were no cops on it at all but thats what everyone used to say.
I used to stick with the rule of making sure someone was going faster than me so they were far more likely to be pulled if there were cops about.

It used to be practically deserted a lot of the time. Shaved 30 minutes off my planned journey time I had to do to just north of Manchester and that included add a pee break.
M6 near Brum still makes me shudder with bad memories ;)

Man of Honour
I will admit I do generally sit on the motorway around 85mph indicated in good weather and low traffic conditions and just slow down when passing the fixed cameras.

After watching Motorway Cops I didn't realise how many unmarked cars there are driving around.
However, like you say, they could home in on you doing 85 and within seconds of deciding whether to pull you over somebody will always fly past you.

OcUK Staff
M6 toll, I used to use that years ago.
Only place I have been doing 120 on the inside lane, being overtaken by something travelling much faster who was also being overtaken by something much faster :)
Was never sure if it was true and there were no cops on it at all but thats what everyone used to say.
I used to stick with the rule of making sure someone was going faster than me so they were far more likely to be pulled if there were cops about.

It used to be practically deserted a lot of the time. Shaved 30 minutes off my planned journey time I had to do to just north of Manchester and that included add a pee break.
M6 near Brum still makes me shudder with bad memories ;)

They do police it, they generally sit on the services slip road exit, they are sometimes parked near the toll booths as well.

Yes I've done some pretty big speeds on there and there is always someone going faster, but can easily shave a lot of time of your journey. I also always tend to launch out of the toll booths as well, lol. :D

NVP

NVP

Soldato
M6 Toll - When it first opened it was literally pure freedom, for quite some time. Then they had a spate of tripods sitting on the bridge and it killed off most of the ridiculous speeding. But that was a long time ago, I haven't seen a tripod on there in like 10 years now, but you do see patrol cars on there these days.

I also always tend to launch out of the toll booths as well, lol. :D
:D literally the reason for using toll roads!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
An improvement would certainly be welcomed, I will admit I do generally sit on the motorway around 85mph indicated in good weather and low traffic conditions and just slow down when passing the fixed cameras. Yes I am breaking the law but if get caught will take it on the chin and not that it makes it right but plenty go whizzing past still who are probably doing around 100, motorways tend to move faster than limits in place, especially the M6 TOLL, plenty on there moving along way beyond 100 and I've never seen an accident yet on the TOLL road but in fairness it always seems very quiet on there.

85 has always struck me as an odd speed. Fast enough to get caught and fined, but not actually fast enough to make a lot of difference to how fast you get somewhere. Kind of feels like the worst of both worlds.

As for variable speed by condition, logically, makes perfect sense. In practice, who makes the decision of when it changes? Imagine the debates on the side of the road with Mr Audi driver suggesting that the amount of water on the road is actually just below the legal limit?

Soldato
85 has always struck me as an odd speed. Fast enough to get caught and fined, but not actually fast enough to make a lot of difference to how fast you get somewhere. Kind of feels like the worst of both worlds.

As for variable speed by condition, logically, makes perfect sense. In practice, who makes the decision of when it changes? Imagine the debates on the side of the road with Mr Audi driver suggesting that the amount of water on the road is actually just below the legal limit?
I guess on smart motorways they are already monitoring things and adjusting the speed accordingly so on many roads the infrastructure is already in place.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I’m
I guess on smart motorways they are already monitoring things and adjusting the speed accordingly so on many roads the infrastructure is already in place.

Absolutely. Imagine the cost to monitor per mile in cameras, power, support, office space for the personnel watching etc. I can’t imagine it’s cheap. Even if AI could do it, the cost to monitor would be huge if the “ask” was to cover the size of the road network that we have.

In principle, variable speed limits are a great idea, certainly so I’d you could account for traffic levels, weather, road conditions, accidents, visibility etc. the reality is that it’s currently cost prohibitive. The only other is to allow for driver discretion. Just how some people currently drive best exemplifies the implications of that, bearing in mind that it’s generally the minority driving in a way that I’d consider to be genuinely dangerous.

Soldato
I highly doubt automated will be that much more than a gimick still in 20 years time. I mean they need to be implementing it now to have a chance that most cars on the road will even be capable by that point.

Maybe, but there is a possibility that automated cars quickly take over as taxis and car insurance rapidly increases as it becomes apparent that all the accidents are caused by humans.

TBH, the moment I can easily call an automated taxi and have it pick me up again at a certain time to bring me home, is the moment I'm ditching my car. I think a lot of people will do the same.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
TBH, the moment I can easily call an automated taxi and have it pick me up again at a certain time to bring me home, is the moment I'm ditching my car. I think a lot of people will do the same.
I think this guy is lost...

Soldato
After watching Motorway Cops I didn't realise how many unmarked cars there are driving around.
However, like you say, they could home in on you doing 85 and within seconds of deciding whether to pull you over somebody will always fly past you.
There's a difference to having cruise set to 85mph and being a ******* weaving in and out of traffic. I imagine there is enough of the latter that are universally hated versus a luxo-barge keeping a consistent speed in lane 3.

Caporegime
OP
Well, whilst I still think he was a tool for getting into this situation, I can - perhaps - see how with 340bhp he managed an indicated 120 before he appreciated he was going that fast, especially given I’ve almost found myself being naughty with a mere 185bhp in my V70….

Nonetheless, I’m sure he’s learning a lesson, or at least, I hope so!

Some interesting replies, thanks all.

I’ll update as & when I hear of what I expect is the inevitable.

Soldato
I used to drive 90-95mph on NSL roads.

For 20 years.

Never caught speeding, never pulled, and you can't tell me I've not gone past a few unmarked cars in that time but.....

I never drove aggressively, and always left plenty of breaking distance.

The closest I got was westbound A14 somewhere past Bury St Edmunds, middle of the day, sunny warm day, road was very quiet. Doing 90+ I see a car come up behind me, as I start to indicate to move left to let him past he turned his lights on. Overtook me as I backed off a bit. Then turned lights back off, and proceeded up the next slip road maybe 500 yrds ahead.

Actually once on the A1 southbound literally under the M25 bridge, doing 90+ odd, overtook what I thought was a very ordinary grey Vauxhall Mariva, and a bloody Audi R8 up my backside.

As I go past the Mariva, with the R8 up my backside I indicate and pull over left to let the Audi go, the Mariva now behind me fires it's lights up, overtakes me and pulls the Audi about a mile down the road.

I've had something of an epiphany in recent months though, with fuel price and thinking about the environment and how resources are limited I have slowed right down now, and my new speed is 65-70 on NSL, I'm one of those that is driving for fuel economy...I know getting old and boring.

I still let rip on my motorcycle though, not that I ride it that much these days.

Edit: actually thinking about it I'm more of a 60-65 guy, don't often go more than that last few months.

Back
Top Bottom