125 for a tall-ish bloke

Associate
So I'm going to do my CBT soon and am looking for a 125 that I won't look silly on, I've had a look at the Honda xl125 Varadero and that looks perfect however I can't seem to find a decent example for much less than a grand- and ideally I want to spend around 500 though if necessary I'll pay the grand.

Are there any alternatives to this bike which have similar styling and ride height? Most 125's I've sat on feel like toy bikes to me (6ft and 16st).

Thanks. :)

Associate
One of the taller trail 125's like Dogbreath mentioned might be ok.

But I am 6ft2 and rode an old CG125, and it wasn't that bad, comfort wise it wasn't the best and obviously it feels/looks small, but it was certainly ridable.
As a tall rider pretty much any normal size bike feels like that, even my Street Triple R feels small, hasn't stopped me loving every minute of it though.

Associate
OP
Trail-type bikes don't appeal to me at all- I've been looking at the YBR125; that looks alright and though it's a bit smaller than I'd like, it's not tiny.

Knowing me I'll probably get the xl125 varadero though, it's not like the money is forever lost since i'll only be keeping it for a few months then I can recoup most of it as I'll be off to uni and I can't have one there for the first year (living in halls).

Thanks for the suggestions guys

Last edited:
Associate
I'm 6' 2" and have a YBR125. Now that I'm fairly confident riding it I'd prefer something a bit bigger but it's fine for starting out on.

Soldato
Derbi Terra maybe?
Derbi-Terra-RD-01.jpg

Associate
I'm 6' 2" and have a YBR125. Now that I'm fairly confident riding it I'd prefer something a bit bigger but it's fine for starting out on.

i'm also 6'2 and ride a YBR125, it doesnt feel too small really, i think its perfectly fine for a 125.

Something fishy going on here...I'm also 6'2"...and have a YBR125. :eek:
Had it 3 Weeks now, but will do for a few more weeks/months untill I get full license, should hold it's value quite well too, being a popular learner bike.

Soldato
I have a YZF-R125, that's a pretty tall bike, I'm not tall 5'10" I tried a CBR-125 before being it, and that was like riding a kiddies bike. Only thing withe YZF-R125 is even the 2nd hand ones are still holding their value fairly well so unless you're planning on keeping it for a while I'd recommend something else.

Tea Drinker
Don
You won't find a Varedero for £500 unless it's a proper dog, I bought mine a 02 with 14k on the clock for just over £1100 on ebay then sold it for £1400, you will at least get your money back on it though and if you buy something tatty and work on it maybe make some, where as another generic 125 you will probably loose money on

Back
Top Bottom