1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

125cc European road trip, 1-2 weeks, two years' time

Discussion in 'Biker's Cafe' started by Diddums, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Diddums

Capodecina

Gauging interest a bit, so far all the folks I've spoken to are interested and want in. Thought I'd drop a note in here in case anyone wants to join. There will be a budget for the bikes, max 125cc (you'll need a full licence obviously, can't ride outside of the UK on a CBT).

Rough idea so far:
    Two years time, 1-2 weeks, various countries. We've already got support vehicles for luggage / tools / spares / whatever. Accommodation to be determined.

Max 125cc, probably will have a max budget.

We will get charities involved to raise some money for good causes too, it'll likely become a Youtube series as well.

I've got enough interest to warrant spending time drafting it all up, so I'll start this week.

Anyone in?

2. tom_e

Man of Honour

Sounds like my idea of hell!

3. Diddums

Capodecina

Well, having just looked at your instagram I can certainly see why, you'd look like a monkey on a bicycle on a 125 :D

4. tom_e

Man of Honour

They do feel like very slow toy bikes with nearly 17st on top :o :D

5. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

It's an interesting idea but 125s...loooooolll nope. Even for a someone that isn't a gorilla they are not exactly fun to ride distances on once you've had a taste of bikes capable of actual motorway speeds. :p

6. BUDFORCE

Wise Guy

Yea doing and kind of distance on a 125.... It's fine until it's windy, then my god it feels like hard work.

Still, sounds fun. Could give me an excuse to buy an old Honda CG from like 1980 and clean it up.

I wouldn't like to commit at this stage, but I'll keep an eye on this thread.

7. iamdjdz

Mobster

What sort of budget are you anticipating at the moment? Could be interested it would certainly make for some fun storys!

8. Fireskull

Sgarrista

Also potentially interested! :D

9. Snaggle

Mobster

be more interested in a budget restricted bigger bike.. 125's are hard work and expensive for what u get

10. BUDFORCE

Wise Guy

Yeah if you could go on something like this?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...ising-location=at_bikes&sort=price-asc&page=3

Little 250 - that one is in too good a condition though, if I could get that same thing, but really ratty, and half the price. Still not gonna go much past 70mph with the wind behind.

11. bloodiedathame

Sgarrista

Colour me interested.

12. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Not one for me. We did our own budget bike battle last year, under £500 and under 400 cc. It was a good laugh but only bearable over a long weekend and with support. There’s no joy in slogging against a headwind at 45 mph, and constant breakdowns. The evening beers just won’t make up for it!

13. vanpeebles

Soldato

Use an auld banty :D

14. NooBish AbbZ

Mobster

Potentially interested; most fun I ever had on a bike was on a 125. Support vehicles are a great shout, although on 125's as others have mentioned, if it'd be a lot of motorways it'd be pretty uncomfortable

15. Maccapacca

Tea

If you're going to go wee go proper wee. These lads from Belgium were touring the UK on these 50cc garelli 2 strokes. I felt bad on my 1600cc 6cyl bmw being able to get up the ramp in the boat from 1500k of luxurious floating around Germany :)

[​IMG]

16. Diddums

Capodecina

Bit before my time, but the MBX is teh sex. I rode all around Holland on various 50s as a wee lad and have many stories to tell about it, but I'll save those for another time. All I'll say is that the Afsluitdijk at 70kph on a souped up Tomos on a windy day is terrifying.

I'm starting up the thread on FG this evening, I'll post up a link soon.

17. Diddums

Capodecina

18. MowyTone

Mobster

I spent years on 125s wishing for more power. This would not be my idea of fun

19. Malt_Vinegar

Don

interesting, but echoing the chat about riding on a 125 for that distance...
    sub 400cc would be interesting :D

20. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

Yeah, if it were 400cc or something I'd possibly be interested but 125cc is just too small and painful imo.