• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

12600kf and z690 gaming x bent!

Associate
First the cpu started to bend and now the mb has a big bulge in it around the cpu socket! Where does one stand with warranty? Obviously if I bought a new car and it started to bend I would be entitled to a refund but Intel say this is normal? Perhaps the big bulge in my gut is normal and I shouldn't consider myself fat anymore.

Associate
OP
When did it "start" to bend? I don't think I understand what you are describing.

Hi

A month after purchase I upgraded the cpu cooler and noticed the cpu was slightly bent in the middle. In the last week cpu temps have risen by 10c which I thought was because of the warmer weather but changed the thermal paste anyway and that's when I noticed the cpu is bent even more. I applied paste fitted the water block then removed it and the paste isn't spread evenly on the cpu or water block! There's just a big blob of it in the middle of the cpu where the water block isn't making contact with the middle of the cpu. So I removed the water block retaining bracket from back of the motherboard to check it was fitted correctly and it's bent. Because the area of the motherboard around the cpu socket is bent also. The cpu socket is bent. Or bowed is probably a better word for it.

Thanks.

Soldato
This issue is becoming more apparent from various sources now that people have had the systems several months.

You could contact both Intel and Gigabyte about RMA, but they may accuse you of badly fitting/over tightening the cooling solution as seems to be the easy get out of doing anything.

Associate
OP
This issue is becoming more apparent from various sources now that people have had the systems several months.

You could contact both Intel and Gigabyte about RMA, but they may accuse you of badly fitting/over tightening the cooling solution as seems to be the easy get out of doing anything.

Hi

This is why im trying to get a few counter answers before contacting Intel again. They said that cpu bowing is perfectly normal and won't affect the operation of the cpu. But I remember back to the 1st gen i7 where intels stock cooler put so much pressure on the board it bowed the socket area and several months down the line I had mb failure! Luckily at the time asus were kind enough the replace the board and recommended using a aftermarket cooler. So maybe the cpu will continue to operate but I'm worried about the board now. Do Intel supply motherboard manufacturers the sockets or is it something they make to Intel's specifications?

I don't think they can blame it on the cooler can they? Its a corsair aio cooler. The grub screws tighten down to the standoffs only so far and can't be over tightened.

Thanks.

Associate
DOes it still post okay? Any problems with the machine when running?

I would say try to find another better plate for the motherboard that will bring everything back into shape.

Associate
Do you have pictures showing the bent cpu and bulge on the motherboard?

I'm curious as to how bad it is.

If it is minor and only superficial I'd probably be inclined to ignore it.

Soldato
Theres a mod shown on Y/T where washers are placed under the cpu mounting bracket which means theres less pressure required to clamp the locking lever in position, thereby easing the pressure on the motherboard area. I think it was Jaztwocents who did the modding.

Man of Honour
Theres a mod shown on Y/T where washers are placed under the cpu mounting bracket which means theres less pressure required to clamp the locking lever in position, thereby easing the pressure on the motherboard area. I think it was Jaztwocents who did the modding.

Intel said the warranty is invalid if you modify the mounting mechanism in any way, though I don't see how they'd know.

Associate
A few articles on the topic:

> Problems with the LGA-1700 socket and a possible workaround (igorsLAB)
> Easy Mod Lowers Alder Lake CPU Temps by 5 Degrees Celsius (tomsHardware)
> Intel Comments On Warping and Bending Issues, Mods Void Warranty (tomsHardware)
Intel Spokesperson to Tom's Hardware said:
We have not received reports of 12th Gen Intel Core processors running outside of specifications due to changes to the integrated heat spreader (IHS). Our internal data show that the IHS on 12th Gen desktop processors may have slight deflection after installation in the socket. Such minor deflection is expected and does not cause the processor to run outside of specifications. We strongly recommend against any modifications to the socket or independent loading mechanism. Such modifications would result in the processor being run outside of specifications and may void any product warranties.

Built a Z690 myself a few days ago. Went for the M4 1mm nylon, not metal, washer mod. Time will show (sigh).

postimage01.jpg

Disappointment in Intel is an understatement. Either you don't mod, keep warranty, get bent (pun intended). Or you mod, void warranty, and works as it should from that start.

Sorry I can't help with good arguments against Intel. They are going the legalese route. While all enthusiasts know, without a doubt, this is NOT optimal behavior. And that's putting it lightly.

Associate
First the cpu started to bend and now the mb has a big bulge in it around the cpu socket! Where does one stand with warranty? Obviously if I bought a new car and it started to bend I would be entitled to a refund but Intel say this is normal? Perhaps the big bulge in my gut is normal and I shouldn't consider myself fat anymore.

We need pictures asap, i got a similar m/b so would be beneficial to all with the same setup

Permabanned
A few articles on the topic:

> Problems with the LGA-1700 socket and a possible workaround (igorsLAB)
> Easy Mod Lowers Alder Lake CPU Temps by 5 Degrees Celsius (tomsHardware)
> Intel Comments On Warping and Bending Issues, Mods Void Warranty (tomsHardware)

Built a Z690 myself a few days ago. Went for the M4 1mm nylon, not metal, washer mod. Time will show (sigh).

postimage01.jpg

Disappointment in Intel is an understatement. Either you don't mod, keep warranty, get bent (pun intended). Or you mod, void warranty, and works as it should from that start.

Sorry I can't help with good arguments against Intel. They are going the legalese route. While all enthusiasts know, without a doubt, this is NOT optimal behavior. And that's putting it lightly.

What was the difference in temps pre / post mod?

I was intending to do this myself, but my first z690 board turned up with a noticible bend ~3mm at the edges when placed on a flat surface. It turned out to have a faulty memory channel. I had ran out of time when I receivd my replacement board.

Associate
OP
I returned the motherboard to the supplier. It's gonna be tested and replaced under warranty if it appears to be faulty. Fingers crossed. Had some strange behaviour... very poor gaming performance. Running hwinfo it seemed every time I put the pc under load the cpu dropped to 3.6ghz on all cores? Temps never went over 60c so I can't see why it was doing it. Disabled multi core performance boost and was still the same. Disabled all e cores no change. Another thing I noticed was everytime I saved a bios change the pc restarted then failed to post! I had to disconnect mains and power back on for it to post. I was getting memory errors, swapped for some different memory but no change!

Intel are saying its a fault with the motherboard not the cpu but I pointed out that seeing how bent the cpu is and the socket what happens if I get a new board and the cpu doesn't seat properly in a new socket and they said if that's the case the cpu will be replaced under warranty.

Hopefully both the mb and cpu will be replaced then I can try that mod with the washers. I don't care about voiding the warranty, if it happens again I'll be investing in a amd 7000 series!

I'll post some pics of the cpu tomorrow. Ain't got no pics of mb but take my word for it the socket was shaped like a banana, it's not just the cpu that bends!

Thanks for all of your input.

Man of Honour
I returned the motherboard to the supplier. It's gonna be tested and replaced under warranty if it appears to be faulty. Fingers crossed. Had some strange behaviour... very poor gaming performance. Running hwinfo it seemed every time I put the pc under load the cpu dropped to 3.6ghz on all cores? Temps never went over 60c so I can't see why it was doing it. Disabled multi core performance boost and was still the same. Disabled all e cores no change. Another thing I noticed was everytime I saved a bios change the pc restarted then failed to post! I had to disconnect mains and power back on for it to post. I was getting memory errors, swapped for some different memory but no change!

Intel are saying its a fault with the motherboard not the cpu but I pointed out that seeing how bent the cpu is and the socket what happens if I get a new board and the cpu doesn't seat properly in a new socket and they said if that's the case the cpu will be replaced under warranty.

Hopefully both the mb and cpu will be replaced then I can try that mod with the washers. I don't care about voiding the warranty, if it happens again I'll be investing in a amd 7000 series!

I'll post some pics of the cpu tomorrow. Ain't got no pics of mb but take my word for it the socket was shaped like a banana, it's not just the cpu that bends!

Thanks for all of your input.

Wow, sorry to hear you've had so much trouble with this system. It seems strange that Intel can't make a decent socket, 2066 was a big arse socket, but more square than rectangular, compared to 1700.

Soldato
Lol over reaction much.
So a fundamental design fault that immediately can cause performance regression and could cause outright hardware failure down the line that Intel has pre-emptively dismissed as intentional, and therefore will not honour warranties, is so minor in your eyes any resulting class action lawsuit is an "over reaction"?

This is honestly your stance?

Back
Top Bottom