• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

12900K Tamed On Cinebench With Noctua - NH U12A chromax Black Air Cooler

Associate
12900K Tamed On Cinebench With Noctua - NH U12A chromax Black Air Cooler with small overclock.Works great.
Max CPU Package Temperature - 80°C
To the people who respond,I get higher score than that,well I say do it on a air cooler.

Multi-28287

Single-2011

BIOS setting
CPU Voltage Override
CPU Voltage 1.16v
SA Voltage Override
SA Voltage 1.20v set high for Ram Gear 1
P-Core set by core usage
P-Core 0-51
P-Core 1-51
P-Core 2-51
P-Core 3-51
P-Core 4-52
P-Core 5-51
P-Core 6-52
P-Core 7-51
E-Core Default

Soldato
1.16v is crazy low for all core 5.2/5.1ghz , is that a golden sample.

It's quite possibly not stable anyway, it's very easy to clear Cinebench with an unstable overclock

Permabanned
Good to know. I'm thinking of pairing a 12900k with the ASUS ProArt Creator Z690 and a NH-D15S. Ideally I will use a Fractal Torrent case, but at the moment I don't think the front panel connections support the full USB bandwidth.

Soldato
@gerardfraser - You could try turning off hyperthreading, not sure it's worth it on Intel CPUs, for the extra heat it generates (often 5-10 degrees), due to higher power consumption). It often causes instability too, compared to the same CPU ran with the same voltage settings with HT off (true for my CPU anyway).

They certainly didn't bother with HT on the 'E' cores, which I've heard are similar in performance to Comet Lake, but clocked a bit lower.

I think the more cores they've added, the less hyperthreading seems to matter in real world performance.

I've been critical of the 12900K because of reports of 90 degree load temps, but it still has 10MB more L3 cache than the 10900K, even if it's for a price most can't afford.

Shame they shutdown the SiliconLottery website, might've been useful for Alder Lake CPUs.

Still got the stats for the percentages of successful overclocks for various CPUs here though:
https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

You can see that only the top 24-32% of 10900Ks and 11900Ks were hitting 5.0Ghz on all cores without stability issues, with unrestricted AVX2 CPU instructions enabled.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
1.16v is crazy low for all core 5.2/5.1ghz , is that a golden sample.

It's quite possibly not stable anyway, it's very easy to clear Cinebench with an unstable overclock
Not a golden sample but I always get the comment you got a golden sample. 12900K I would say 95% could run 5100Mhz all core at CPU 1.2v.Mine is not special

Good to know. I'm thinking of pairing a 12900k with the ASUS ProArt Creator Z690 and a NH-D15S. Ideally I will use a Fractal Torrent case, but at the moment I don't think the front panel connections support the full USB bandwidth.
That is why I made the video ,just showing people it is possible to run 12900K on an air cooler without problems.

@gerardfraser - You could try turning off hyperthreading, not sure it's worth it on Intel CPUs, for the extra heat it generates (often 5-10 degrees), due to higher power consumption). It often causes instability too, compared to the same CPU ran with the same voltage settings with HT off (true for my CPU anyway).

They certainly didn't bother with HT on the 'E' cores, which I've heard are similar in performance to Comet Lake, but clocked a bit lower.

I think the more cores they've added, the less hyperthreading seems to matter in real world performance.

I've been critical of the 12900K because of reports of 90 degree load temps, but it still has 10MB more L3 cache than the 10900K, even if it's for a price most can't afford.

Shame they shutdown the SiliconLottery website, might've been useful for Alder Lake CPUs.

The 12900K is not a good value CPU. Silicone Lottery seen the writing on the wall for years.Overclocking is almost dead,no way to run a biz
The air cooler for me is temporary,I have two AIO 360MM I bought ,just waiting on the LGA 1700 Brackets.
Also I would quit using the any CPU such as 12900K if I had to turn off hyper threading to save on anything. It is a CPU and has no value and a warranty,I was just showing what is possible for people who are strangely afraid of some bat crap fear mongering people spread on the net.

Thanks for the replies,some people think information like the above is dum but I say if it helps someone out ,it is all good.

Soldato
Nah it's not dumb (only if you really can't afford it, but buy anyway), it just comes down to what ppl can afford. Personally, I think the 12700 will be the best CPU of the 12th gen, and should last most people a while. It's only got 5MB of cache less than the 12900K, so still an improvement over the 10th and 11th gens.

I hope they beef up the max power (better VRMs?) on B660 boards though, so all CPUs can be ran at their all core turbo speed without issue. Probably gonna be quite variable though, based on the previous gen. B560 boards. I'd guess we won't see these released until AMD's V-Cache CPUs are released.

I like the idea of running with air coolers only, I'd never buy a CPU that could only be water cooled.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Nah it's not dumb (only if you really can't afford it, but buy anyway), it just comes down to what ppl can afford. Personally, I think the 12700 will be the best CPU of the 12th gen, and should last most people a while. It's only got 5MB of cache less than the 12900K, so still an improvement over the 10th and 11th gens.

I hope they beef up the max power (better VRMs?) on B660 boards though, so all CPUs can be ran at their all core turbo speed without issue. Probably gonna be quite variable though, based on the previous gen. B550 boards. I'd guess we won't see these released until AMD's V-Cache CPUs are released.

I like the idea of running with air coolers only, I'd never buy a CPU that could only be water cooled.
You know your on the internet,you gotta stop making sense.I would never use water cooling loop,I just change my PC gear way to often. AIO on the other hand are fine but in reality some air coolers are better.

Back
Top Bottom