• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

£1300 2080ti vs £1300 2080SLI

Associate
What would you go for?

A 2080ti averages around the £1300 to £1500 mark

for around the same amount of cash you can buy 2 2080s for a dual GPU set up with the new nvlink bridge

looking at benches it seems that 2080 SLI get way more (sometimes) fps

thoughts plz

Man of Honour
looking at benches it seems that 2080 SLI get way more (sometimes) fps in games that support sli
fixed that for you :)

sli is dying tech. more and more games either don't support, or only has partial support for sli.
not to mention increased stuttering...

Associate
Its been a few months since I have had SLI and despite the naysayers it worked well for me, but I am not one to jump on the latest games and know that it can take months for support to arrive and of course some won't get support, if the games you play are supported its great. stuttering was never an issue for me at any point in the years I have had multigpu.

A 2080Ti will of course work every time.

Soldato
What would you go for?

A 2080ti averages around the £1300 to £1500 mark

for around the same amount of cash you can buy 2 2080s for a dual GPU set up with the new nvlink bridge

looking at benches it seems that 2080 SLI get way more (sometimes) fps

thoughts plz

None.
Keep what you have. Boycott those ridiculous prices.

Associate
I've had a bunch of SLI and xfire setups in the past, my last was dual Titan Blacks and even back then I found support was getting worse. These days I would not bother and just get the fastest single GPU setup available.

Man of Honour
with all the gddr6 vram issues, a bit ballsy to get a card with only 2 years warranty though!
if it fails just after 2 years, it's very expensive outlay per year (£500/yr for a £1000 card)

imo, if i had to get a 2080ti, it would have to be a zotac with a 5 year warranty.
at the very least, if it then failed after 5 years, it'll have cost a more palatable £220/yr (for a £1100 card)

Associate
None.
Keep what you have. Boycott those ridiculous prices.

I agree. My last 30 posts here have been basically criticising the farce of gpu prices since the RTX2080 launch. No real improvement in pretty much 2 years unless your willing to pay double/triple the previous prices for a boost. Prices skewed out of control. The new RTX2080ti makes the GTX1080 Titan look value for money. Worst time for pc gaming since i remember starting in 2001. May as well go consoles going forward.

Associate
I agree. My last 30 posts here have been basically criticising the farce of gpu prices since the RTX2080 launch. No real improvement in pretty much 2 years unless your willing to pay double/triple the previous prices for a boost. Prices skewed out of control. The new RTX2080ti makes the GTX1080 Titan look value for money. Worst time for pc gaming since i remember starting in 2001. May as well go consoles going forward.

Indeed. I remember when a £600 GPU was considered insane, if people had only known how out of whack prices would end up!

Man of Honour
Out of the options in the OP go for the 2080 Ti.

You should be able to get a good one for less than the price you quoted in the OP if you look around.

Having said that only go for it if you need a performance upgrade.

2080 SLI is not worth it for a couple of reasons.

1. lack of support in new game releases.

2. If you find a new game that supports SLI 8gb of memory is not really enough going forward as mGPU would allow for higher game settings than a single card.

Soldato
Out of the options in the OP go for the 2080 Ti.

You should be able to get a good one for less than the price you quoted in the OP if you look around.

Having said that only go for it if you need a performance upgrade.

2080 SLI is not worth it for a couple of reasons.

1. lack of support in new game releases.

2. If you find a new game that supports SLI 8gb of memory is not really enough going forward as mGPU would allow for higher game settings than a single card.

Also the NVlink is another £70 or so..

Soldato
im using a 1080ti , but i sold it yesterday, well sold on the bay but I havnt posted out the item, yet

Worst decision ever made tbh.

GTX1080Ti has a very very long life in it still, regardless if it is 2 years later. If Nvidia has released the Freesync patch back in May 2018, I wouldn't have switched to the Vega, regardless how much wanted to put my hands on it for tweaking. Since the GPU (1080ti) is more than enough for anything thrown at it if not HDR and not 4K.

Associate
I'd always recommend going with the best single card solution you can afford. In the past I've had 3x580, 2x680, 2xTitan, 3xTitan Maxwell, etc. There was a time around Crysis 2 when SLI support was getting close to a certainty in main titles on launch day.

But in recent years - and especially around DirectX 12 - this has changed a lot. Even it when it works there are issues around flickering textures, shadows, frame pacing and so on. None of the recent demanding games I've played (Atlas, Metro Exodus with RTX, Ace 7 with 150% scaling, etc.) have supported SLI. Division 2 beta also didn't support SLI, to mention another recent example.

And often when a decent SLI profile does arrive, I've finished the game..

I think the only real exception to all this would be if your favourite title has a good SLI profile (especially if it's a multiplayer game around whose communities you spend your evenings). I'd recommend checking that game's forums and if it's a demanding title and there is a working profile, that changes things.

Soldato
So considering you asked which to go and not any other options.

Go for a 2080ti always best to get a single powerful gpu. :)

My past experience with sli was back with the 680’s and original titans and it was great, but from what everyone says stay clear nowadays.

Associate
My 1080 SLI rig has been great with support on the majority of 2D games I've bought over the last 3 years.

For VR it's been a disappointment however, so I would go for the single most powerful card you can afford (in fact I did just that, but it died...twice).

Back
Top Bottom