• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

£1300 2080ti vs £1300 2080SLI

Soldato
im using a 1080ti , but i sold it yesterday, well sold on the bay but I havnt posted out the item, yet

Why lol. I'd go 2080 ti to replace it. But unless you're playing 4k I doubt you will notice much of a real world difference in games going from a 1080 ti to a 2080 ti (I say as someone who went the opposite way).

Soldato
having owned 2 2080's when they released from nvidia and i can say if running benchmarks they are phenominal for the price of 1 2080ti they pack so much punch its unreal, i game at 1440p but using dsr 4k res i was hit with problem after problems gettings games stable with 2 cards, not to mention the power draw which was eye watering to see at stages.
came to my sensies and sold both to make way for a 2080ti which although slower than 2 in benchmarks, it's a hell of a lot better power consumption wise and no crashes to mention regarding the single gpu, frame rates are lower but at over 100 fps ultra at 1440p i'm happy enough.
you want my honest advice stump up the 1300ish quid and opt for a 3rd party solution, nvidias founders cards are good but for a little more cash you can get cards that cool a lot better and are around £150-£300 more than nvidias founders card

Associate
2 x 2080's in SLI sounds great but not many games support SLI anymore and unless you're going to put them under water they will be a hot mess

Soldato
If the 1080ti is already sold then I would go for the 2080ti - Kap knows his stuff on sli and the 8 gig ram is going to be a problem.

If you really want to mGPU the Vega VII would be capable with it's 16GB of HBM - but I think Crossfire support is even worse than SLI?

The Palit at 989 or the Zotac at 1099 are also significantly cheaper than 1300.

Man of Honour
The Palit at 989 or the Zotac at 1099 are also significantly cheaper than 1300
with all the gddr6 vram issues, a bit ballsy to get a card with only 2 years warranty though!
if it fails just after 2 years, it's very expensive outlay per year (£500/yr for a £1000 card)

imo, if i had to get a 2080ti, it would have to be a zotac with a 5 year warranty.
at the very least, if it then failed after 5 years, it'll have cost a more palatable £220/yr (for a £1100 card)
Bottom line: get the card with the longest warranty (hint: not palit)

Associate
I'd always recommend going with the best single card solution you can afford. In the past I've had 3x580, 2x680, 2xTitan, 3xTitan Maxwell, etc. There was a time around Crysis 2 when SLI support was getting close to a certainty in main titles on launch day.

But in recent years - and especially around DirectX 12 - this has changed a lot. Even it when it works there are issues around flickering textures, shadows, frame pacing and so on. None of the recent demanding games I've played (Atlas, Metro Exodus with RTX, Ace 7 with 150% scaling, etc.) have supported SLI. Division 2 beta also didn't support SLI, to mention another recent example.

And often when a decent SLI profile does arrive, I've finished the game..

I think the only real exception to all this would be if your favourite title has a good SLI profile (especially if it's a multiplayer game around whose communities you spend your evenings). I'd recommend checking that game's forums and if it's a demanding title and there is a working profile, that changes things.

This^. It's all fun and games with SLI until you arrive at a title where you need the grunt of both cards, but SLI simply isn't supported. It happened to me with 2x GTX 970s in SLI when Rise of The Tomb Raider hit. It was a ludicrous amount of time before they patched SLI support in, like 9 months or something, by which time I'd staggered through the game with one card. There was a botched user work around allowing SLI in exchange for visual artefacts/weirdness along with excessive microstutter, but personally I came to the conclusion that 40 fps on one card was far better than 60+ fps on two with constant horrible glitching.

Back
Top Bottom