14 Peaks: Nothing is impossible.

Soldato
Good watch on Netflix if you enjoy hiking/climbing etc, or just want to watch a mad man trying to ascend all 14 8000m+ mountains in 7 months. :D

Soldato
Just finished watching this... Wow!!! What an inspiration! His attitude and his achievements. There are a select few human beings on this earth who are clearly just built differently. But to climb 8000m plus in record time with a hangover and try to save someones life in the process... I remember following this loosely when it was happening, and I remember when this was in the news about the whole China thing, I also remember that Iconic photo. I was so pleased when the news broke that he had achieved it. However, this brings a whole new level of respect for the guy. A true warrior spirit.

Caporegime
Just watched this and it really put a perspective into life, goals, never giving up and attitude towards challenges and the time given to us, even the prejudice at the end that had this been done by any western mountaineers, his or or name will be sung all over but I’ve only just heard about him now.

i recall that photo he took on Mt Everest making the news but had no idea it was part of this project.

Soldato
I did think it was worth a watch. Good to raise awareness of the Ghurkas also.

Don't get me wrong what an achievement, he could have also easily killed himself and the people who went up with him. I guess they all new what they were getting themselves into, but at one point where they were going up whatever mountain it was that was likely to have an avalanche, there were some others there who were not sure about going up, or who had decided not to, then he convinced them to go, I mean, unless they were over dramatising the risk, and I'd say they probably were not, he really was rolling the dice with not only his life but theirs as well.

Part of me wonders how that would have been perceived if it had gone the other way.

But honestly fair play to the guy, and like mentioned above, just made of different stuff.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, that's the K2 for you though. Probably the hardest out of the lot and the bottleneck is one of the scariest things when you get to it.

Soldato
I did think it was worth a watch. Good to raise awareness of the Ghurkas also.

Don't get me wrong what an achievement, he could have also easily killed himself and the people who went up with him. I guess they all new what they were getting themselves into, but at one point where they were going up whatever mountain it was that was likely to have an avalanche, there were some others there who were not sure about going up, or who had decided not to, then he convinced them to go, I mean, unless they were over dramatising the risk, and I'd say they probably were not, he really was rolling the dice with not only his life but theirs as well.

Part of me wonders how that would have been perceived if it had gone the other way.

But honestly fair play to the guy, and like mentioned above, just made of different stuff.

Everyone has to make their own decisions in the mountains. If you agree to do something you're not comfortable with because someone persuaded you....that's on you, as long as he's not holding a gun to their head! You need some people with a bit of fire to do challenging stuff. I'm naturally very risk averse and need a bit of a push to take chances....

I've only been to 4.5k ish mind :D

Soldato
Everyone has to make their own decisions in the mountains. If you agree to do something you're not comfortable with because someone persuaded you....that's on you, as long as he's not holding a gun to their head! You need some people with a bit of fire to do challenging stuff. I'm naturally very risk averse and need a bit of a push to take chances....

That's right, up there especially above 8k, in the death zone etc, you are more or less on your own and it was your own decision to go up there. At certain points your literally dieing while climbing and no one can save you but yourself.

If you make that decision it is on you, his speech did look inspirational though :D.

Was really impressed by the K2 summit especially in winter, and some of the others to summit days after previous.

Soldato
OP

4.5k is still enough if you don't acclimatise properly, can easily put yourself in trouble. I'm planning to do mount elbrus next year.

Soldato
Watched it earlier. Some very sweaty palm scenes I tell you.

half way through - amazing - another level from 'free solo' - as Alex Honnald asserts - the frozen/hanging waterfall, emperor face,
casually leaving ice tools in the wall as he uses his hands for a bit, his understated nature,
hard, but to conclude, that ADHD must help him normalize the risk.

Soldato
I remember reading I think in the book beckoning silence, that mountaineers are the type of people who are generally the kinda of people who ignore other people and even themselves to drive themselves to their goals. Which gets them to the top and be successful mountaineer. But this exact same quality is very likely to get them killed.

As I've got older I'm far more risk adverse. Something I wasn't in my youth.

Back
Top Bottom