£1400 gaming PC

Soldato
I have two comments, the RAM is not worth it, and the board is terrible. May I suggest the following bundle, at the this silly price?

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £434.47
(includes shipping: £10.50)

This is one of the best AM4 boards available, and is over £229.99 on it's own, and the 3000MHz RAM is gonna lose you a couple of % vs the 3200MHz. I am sure the resident upgrade experts here will not argue with the changes, and you actually save £55! :D

Soldato
You guys are killing me

Sorry, all I wanted to do was save you a few quid, and get you a freaking awesome motherboard, I've used both boards, and I wouldn't give the Gigabyte to a person I dislike a lot. They really have a terrible chance of getting a decent OC from the CPU.

Oh, I'd use a M.2 drive, since that board can support two.. who cares if it's SATA or NVMe and if it's ugly, stick some pretty aluminium heatsinks on it. :)

Associate
OP
I have two comments, the RAM is not worth it, and the board is terrible. May I suggest the following bundle, at the this silly price?

Total: £434.47
(includes shipping: £10.50)

This is one of the best AM4 boards available, and is over £229.99 on it's own, and the 3000MHz RAM is gonna lose you a couple of % vs the 3200MHz. I am sure the resident upgrade experts here will not argue with the changes, and you actually save £55! :D
Out of stock

Soldato
You guys are killing me
@Journey is talking about the 3200 kit not the first memory - it's the price : performance ratio I mentioned. The 3000 kits really do deliver - and only lose about ~2%

The 8 Pack bundle is good I almost included it (but no stock as you say) - you just remove the cooler, as Journey has, and it becomes a bargain.

As for the Gigabyte board - I've built with a few of them and had no issues but they do bring the marmite factor out in some members. If you're not after huge clocks they're a solid B350 for the average user - IMO.

You could always consider the Asus Strix - newer board and wouldn't wildly overstretch your budget.

Soldato
Out of stock

Drop them a call in the morning, it's worth it as it says all options in stock when I check it. Maybe a system glitch and if you are spending £1500 I'd hope they sort you out.

Also, OMG look at how good looking the board is http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370 Taichi/

You also get a fantastic Intel Wi-Fi & Bluetooth adapter included, what's not to like?

Soldato
Drop them a call in the morning, it's worth it as it says all options in stock when I check it. Maybe a system glitch and if you are spending £1500 I'd hope they sort you out.
It's a shame the board looks so odd (personal opinion) - but performance and stability is king (for high clocks). Still don't know how they can afford to do the deal without the cooler...

Soldato
Here you @Jimbob64 - an example but remember to add your voucher - so knock off £100 off the total making it £1510.

You will need to wait for the Vega card anyway - but you get an x370 board which has been tested within an inch of its life with Ryzen by 8 Pack and CPU that will clock to 3.9GHz with the right cooler in the future. But for now you could settle for 3.7GHz with the supplied Wraith.

I may not like the look of the board (but i'm the exception to the rule on this probably) I still like black boards with a few shocks of colour which can be enhanced by subtle lighting - but it's horses for courses. Your daughter will probably love it.

Changed the case to white as would suit the board - but there are others - in-win 303 being a more expensive alternative...

*REM - add screen voucher

Total: £1,610.83
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Edit:I would double check/confirm with OcUK that you would still get the Wraith cooler with that bundle - as it may not get included automatically unless requested as needed. As they may presume you're using another third party cooler...​

Last edited:
Soldato
Have always had a soft spot for asrock with the 971 and z170 boards as they were always ahead of the game , offering better PCI bandwidth management giving them that extra m.2 over the rest without a PLEX chip but rest have caught up.
Also haven't used them due to NL RMA base - no idea what's it like to be honest but I'm sure OCUK has a good relationship with the RMA center

Quick Google - "ASRock will charges $50 Labor & Service fee*/each and provide 3 months warranty for above replacement product" I'm guessing for EU this I null and void unlike for the Americans

But they do have Rep created thread on here :)

Soldato
Have always had a soft spot for asrock with the 971 and z170 boards as they were always ahead of the game , offering better PCI bandwidth management giving them that extra m.2 over the rest without a PLEX chip but rest have caught up.
Also haven't used them due to NL RMA base - no idea what's it like to be honest but I'm sure OCUK has a good relationship with the RMA center

Quick Google - "ASRock will charges $50 Labor & Service fee*/each and provide 3 months warranty for above replacement product" I'm guessing for EU this I null and void unlike for the Americans
Y
But they do have Rep created thread on here :)

If your going from solid B350 to flagship rig x370- has to be the asus Crosshair !
Also think OCUK has a different RMA in place with Asus .

**Seems 3600hz 8 Pack ram is running stable - but at stock speed , will try overclocking the 1700 later - Crosshair x370

Soldato
Associate
OP
OK guys, updated basket after reading all comments and daughter doing some research. The case is the only thing she can't decide on so that may change. Of course, some items are out of stock/preorder as mentioned so I will phone and speak to a sales team member.

Total: £1,504.87
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Soldato
Seems like a really solid build, that will provide an really good gaming experience , and allow for future expansion. Seems to be about on budget as well, without making a any real compromises which makes a change from a lot of these request threads :p

Soldato
Seems to be about on budget as well, without making a any real compromises which makes a change from a lot of these request threads :p
True - the initial spec was bang on budget - but as others add their input these type of spec me threads always tend to grow in price (especially with this budget). It's the nature of the beast and other peoples opinions on brand or benefit of component will nearly always cause the OP to push up their budget if they feel they need the extra...

The process works well on the whole as you get different points of view - and the OP will, usually, have the opportunity to make the most informed choice for his needs. Basically, choice is good - especially if backed up with a sensible appraisal of why an alternate offering/component is given. The Asrock being a case in point - as it's great bang for buck when in stock.

@OP Looks good - either build would be mighty if only after a moderate clock - but the x370 bundle does offer great value as it's a top tier x370 board for B350 prices plus a guaranteed CPU that can clock well.

As for the case the Phanteks are a great case for the money - but for ~£70 you will have a pretty good selection to pick from and you have no hurry. You could change the case at anytime if you're having it all delivered at the same time and having to wait for the VEGA card.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The order went in last night and email received accepting the order so just waiting for confirmation of delivery. The VEGA card is still pre-order but the 8Pack bundle was in stock.
Thasnk for all the help and advice (much needed) and patience.
@Plec Thanks again for being just around the corner (so to speak) whenever I post a query...

I'll be back

Soldato
vega 56 and freesync is going to be hard for Nvidia to complete with- yes can beat performance but when you want the shame spec screen at the 1080, the price just shoots up .

The key for the saving is in flashing the 56 to 64- worth checking out the 56 owners thread and few videos. there's a dual bios on the card so there is a back up. Dont have to do it straight away, a year or ever but nice to know you can unlock £111 worth of performance for free :)

Associate
OP
vega 56 and freesync is going to be hard for Nvidia to complete with- yes can beat performance but when you want the shame spec screen at the 1080, the price just shoots up .

The key for the saving is in flashing the 56 to 64- worth checking out the 56 owners thread and few videos. there's a dual bios on the card so there is a back up. Dont have to do it straight away, a year or ever but nice to know you can unlock £111 worth of performance for free :)
Thanks, I will definitely check those out, I need all the help I can get :D

Soldato
Thanks, I will definitely check those out, I need all the help I can get :D

should also consume less power and produce less heat which should be a bit quieter , the case you've gone for, you know they do a Tempered glass version (which cuts down sound better then metal ) with sound dampening inside i believe...

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phan...ower-case-noise-dampened-white-ca-069-pt.html

not idea if phanteks supports ASrock RGB headers like it does for other vendors :( not a major thing but would have been nice

Back
Top Bottom