1440P build for critique or suggestions

Soldato
Hi there,

I have been planning this build for a while and have changed it from 1080P to 1440P, ITX to MATX, speccing and respeccing over and over again and have finally got to the following spec, I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions on it, one thing to note is there wont be any overclocking I just dont have time, the time with the PC will be for gaming -

Case
NZXT H400
I went around and around deciding between this and the H200 but in the end MATX won due to the better GPU compatibility, better airflow and full ATX PSUs are cheaper plus the H200 and H400 have the same width which is most important for the case size

HDD
Samsung Evo 2.5 SSD 1TB
£10 cheaper than the M.2 alternative at twice the capacity

CPU
AMD 2600X
Auto Overclocking for me please with the X version, willing to spend the extra for the convenience of XFR

GPU
Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse
Dropping close to £300 now and I can sell the inc games, not interested in Nvidia GPUs

Mobo
Asrock B450 MATX Pro4
Has enough fan connectors for the fans I'll be running, it amazes me how manufactures cater for RGB over cooling on some boards, I havent had an Asrock board before though, always used Gigabyte and a bit concerned about potential issues

RAM
Already have Team Group RAM from last build

PSU
Seasonic Focus 650W 80+ Gold
£10 cheaper than the 750W, not sure if I should spend the extra £10? The GPU states 750W recommended but this is a decent PSU and there is no OC and only one SSD

Monitor
AOC Agon 27" 1440p 144hz Freesync
Best price to spec for 1440P I could find, regret selling my BenQ as it was the same spec but cheaper 2/3 years ago

Headset
Corsair HS50 to pair with Sennheiser GSX

I think thats everything, it comes out about £1450 with current prices. I already have a mouse, I could do with recommendations on a silent but decent keyboard and cooling will be standard case fans and AMD Wraith for the time being

Thanks!

Soldato
your current list

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,326.83 (includes shipping: £15.90)

not sure if you've seen this case or not but £70 online

http://metallicgear.com/products/Neo-G-Series-mITX

allows for triple slot GPUs , 2x 140 and 2x 120 along with ATX power supply

is your ram 3000hz or over? if not the performance of ryzen will suffer

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the list, I didn't have a clue how to do it with links

I need a white case and quite like the H400 in white, even better would be a Define C Mini or Nano but for some odd reason you can't buy them in white

RAM is Team Group Dark Pro 3200 and ran at that speed in my last motherboard which was gigabyte which is another thing I'm cautious about with the asrock board, would prefer gigabyte but the lack of fan headers really annoys me

Soldato
Thanks for the list, I didn't have a clue how to do it with links

I need a white case and quite like the H400 in white, even better would be a Define C Mini or Nano but for some odd reason you can't buy them in white

RAM is Team Group Dark Pro 3200 and ran at that speed in my last motherboard which was gigabyte which is another thing I'm cautious about with the asrock board, would prefer gigabyte but the lack of fan headers really annoys me

H500, only 6cm taller then h400, everything else size wise is the same... H400 is a big mATX case

Vega 64 over 56. Windforce is 12+1 VRM design Vs pulse / nitro of 6/7+1 set up .

Ryzen 2600 instead of ryzen 2600x. Just easier to auto overclock all cores to 4ghz .

I use fan splitter cables, x470 Aorus 7 and 9+ silent wing fans. Just makes life easier grouping fans up together

Monitor is also VA panel and 32" :)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,345.23 (includes shipping: £15.30)

Most cases, mATX is just as big as smallest ATX which is a shame . Jonsbro make some damn nice mATX cases :D

Soldato
OP
@orbitalwalsh

Very nice, similar price and better spec, case has the same width which is fine I totally overlooked it. The fact a full ATX Gigabyte motherboard fits paired with a Vega 64 GPU is great too

Is that PSU any good? I've always bought Seasonic just for peice of mind but I might just be letting paranoia get the better of me

The CPU is tempting because of the price and potentially more performance but that comes at the cost of gaming time messing around if games start crashing plus more heat, toasty VRMs and a pricier CPU cooler required so I'm not sure on that at the moment

I really like the idea of a VA monitor my TV is VA and it's great but I just cant be doing with that monitor stand :o

Soldato
Both same tier PSU but push extra £5 if you can .

Overclocking with VRM isn't to bad, issue with VRM is LOTs of volts and AXV workloads. If your gaming, VRMs and CPU don't reach their full heat and power potential .

AMD ryzen Master is a great quick and easy on the fly overclocker :)

Soldato
OP
Ok great thanks for that I've got a lot to think about, read a few reviews on the h500 last night and the exhaust only default setup is quite odd that's going to be quite dusty after a bit so would have to budget for intake fans also the front intake grill position would be blocked where I'm going to put it so I might have to stick with the h400 and matx and use fan splitters as suggested

I'm in two minds on yet cpu, I spent many hours overclocking in the past but I have kids now so that's valuble gaming time, a 2600x will run all cores out of the box at 4 GHz under load so might be worth the extra for convenience

Thanks

Soldato
With ryzen and auto boost, temps are a factor . £20 cooler such as cryorig AM4 one or Ben Nevis 120mm can help quite a bit over stock :)

Most cases come with exhaust only, nZxt bit tight compared to others that offer two at that price point normally .

They normally use one exhaust due to Negative pressure performing better.. but the dust it draws into the system !

That price point should have been one In the front and back

Soldato
OP
Yeah I'll get an aftermarket cooler eventually, maybe a H7 but the stock cooler will have to do for a bit.

I'm definitely going to get a positive pressure setup, I usually go for 2 X 140mm intakes and 1 X 120mm exhaust

I think going to stick with the h400 and matx gigabyte board with splitter for the front fans and 2600X

Is that antec PSU the exact same unit and fan as the Seasonic focus? If so I'll probably just go for that

Back
Top Bottom