15 Foods That Will Put You to Sleep (and Keep You There!)

Soldato
Possibly useful if you're a restless sleeper? Seems to be all about foods that contain something called Tryptophan which converts to Serotonin and Melatonin, and natural muscle relaxants Potassium and Magnesium.

Bananas (Potassium and Magnesium)
Hot milk
Turkey and chicken
Dark chocolate
Tart cherries
Chamomile tea
Bowl of cereal
Peanut butter
Oatmeal
Greek yoghurt
Cheese and crackers
Hummus
Honey
Pumpkin seed powder
Greens

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/di...and-keep-you-there/ss-AAw1lhJ?ocid=spartandhp

Associate
I thought dark chocolate contained a lot of caffeine or similar.
Seems if you look this one up there's contrasting information....some say it's good for sleep because of the high levels of magnesium, whilst other places agree with you saying that it's full of caffeine...

Man of Honour
Mainly bs as most people don't eat enough to get a large enough dose and if they did would be uncomfortable.
Not many people eat at least 400g of Turkey or 1.2 liters of milk in at a single time before bed.

Same with banana and magnesium,yes deffeciencey does reduce sleep and increase chance of insomnia a single banana before bed is going to do jack though. Try a regularly supplement of around 500mg if you are deffeciencey not 32mg found in a bannnana.

Such articles are always pointless.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Mainly bs as most people don't eat enough to get a large enough dose and if they did would be uncomfortable.
Not many people eat at least 400g of Turkey or 1.2 liters of milk in at a single time before bed.

Same with banana and magnesium,yes deffeciencey does reduce sleep and increase chance of insomnia a single banana before bed is going to do jack though. Try a regularly supplement of around 500mg if you are deffeciencey not 32mg found in a bannnana.

Such articles are always pointless.

There's no way your body's going to process 500mg though. The best option is to integrate foods like that into your diet on the regular, least of all because of any specific chemical you want to reap the benefits of.

Man of Honour
But on a serious note I find a glass of spirits makes it easier to sleep.

I don't get good quality sleep from alcohol personally - yes a moderate (or more) amount can make it easier to drop off but I usually wake up 1.5-3 hours later or so (depending on how much I've drunk) as it wears off and start to feel cold.

Soldato
Pretty much what I was told by the doctor when I was diagnosed with a serotonin defficiency. Got given some pills instead, sort of like SSRIs but helped increase serotonin from the outset.
ISTR Dark Angel with Jessica Alba, in which her character has a serotonin problem and she drank milk for the tryptophan content, supposedly... but it's just a TV programme. :)

Back
Top Bottom