1500 gaming pc including monitor..

Associate
Helllo,

I am looking to upgrade my MSI Laptop from 2014 with a gaming PC.

I need to be able to game in 1080p at 144hz for the next 4 or 5 years..
It must be upgradeable in time for Elder Scrolls 6, I dont mind spending 500 quid upgrading the card.

Soldato
Helllo,

I am looking to upgrade my MSI Laptop from 2014 with a gaming PC.

I need to be able to game in 1080p at 144hz for the next 4 or 5 years..
It must be upgradeable in time for Elder Scrolls 6, I dont mind spending 500 quid upgrading the card.
do ou current have a monitor that can do 144hz ? do you prefer intel over amd or dont mind ?
small form factor or regular desktop size?

Associate
OP
do ou current have a monitor that can do 144hz ? do you prefer intel over amd or dont mind ?
small form factor or regular desktop size?
I dont have such a monitor, I would like to buy one. I dont mind amd or intel just what is 'right'. Regular desktop size is good, but not ridiculously over the top.

Soldato
I dont have such a monitor, I would like to buy one. I dont mind amd or intel just what is 'right'. Regular desktop size is good, but not ridiculously over the top.

Ryzen & Nvidia with monitor

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,498.13
(includes shipping: £14.70)

2nd is Ryzen Vega combo with monitor again

Total: £1,447.39
(includes shipping: £14.70)

3rd intel + vega with samsungs stunning 144hz freesync monitor

Total: £1,515.97
(includes shipping: £14.10)

With the intel, wait till end of mid-end of october for coffeelake to either drop amd pricing, reviews or allow cheap kaby lake bundle deals - intel still king of single/dual core gaming for its speed but has lost all value to ryzen's more cores for cheaper pricing

Vega 56 can be flashed to have 64 speeds/performance just under gtx 1080- please mind it doesnt unlock the cores.
gtx 1080 is a bit over kill for 1080p but you are trying to hit the 144hz frame rate and you want it to last a bit- GPU should last you a while hopefully

fail... forgot to include PSU
EVGA £50 600w
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga-600w-80-plus-power-supply-100-w1-0600-k3-ca-025-ea.html

@Plec @Journey normally offer solid choices as well. maybe can correct my mistake of lack of PSU​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Excellent post @orbitalwalsh, I knew I could find an expert in this forum.

I have some questions

1. Does the branding of the graphics card really affect performance? For example, would a £100 more expensive gtx 1080 really make a difference to frame rates?
  2. Am I going to notice a big difference between the Samsung monitor and the AOC monitor?
  3. How does the Ryzen 5 1600 compare with the i7? I'm wondering if it may bottleneck the GTX 1080 and 3000MHz Ram.
  4. Am I likely able to upgrade to a 2080 in the future?

Soldato
Excellent post @orbitalwalsh, I knew I could find an expert in this forum.

I have some questions

1. Does the branding of the graphics card really affect performance? For example, would a £100 more expensive gtx 1080 really make a difference to frame rates?
  2. Am I going to notice a big difference between the Samsung monitor and the AOC monitor?
  3. How does the Ryzen 5 1600 compare with the i7? I'm wondering if it may bottleneck the GTX 1080 and 3000MHz Ram.
  4. Am I likely able to upgrade to a 2080 in the future?

Would hold off the expert comment till other have given their lay down :)
Good to get different view points across to get a wide set of opinions

With 900 series, the extra £100 could get you a card that would allow more power to the GPU to run higher speeds, gigabyte Xtreme/Asus Strix, MSI lightning and Evga kingping - but now Nvidia kind of knocked this on the head

What extra hundred gets you is possibly longer warranty, better cooling, lower noise, less chance of coil whine with a bad psu, bling and higher clock speeds out of the box .

I believe the Samsung colour is spot on, if you've seen the TVs with the matrix dot tech then you'll know how the monitor will look, not to say the other screen is anything to scoff at.

I7 will always be king of FPS just purely because you can run it faster , but as you go up in pixel count, the CPU is bottlenecked less as the GPU has to go more work so CPU has a chance to catch up .
A way of combating it for Ryzen would be naturally having everything to ultra as well as upscale the resolution in game. Games like BF1 can render 1440p on your 1080p screens to make it work a bit hard .
Worth reading and watching some YouTube videos on it from rate rate comparisons , but at Intel's current pricing and AMD, I lot of people here will recommend the 1600 pushed to 3.8/9 with 3000hz ram .

I think the next generation will be named 1160/70/80 but hopefully you'll skip that gen :)

Vega might cause less of a bottle neck then the 1080 , even with flashing a 64 Vega bios to it as it'll perform just slightly under .

Associate
OP
Awesome stuff. How does the vega 56 compare to the 1070? I think you've given me a great set components so far I think i'll just match a few up. I need to get a gaming keyboard and mouse too hehe :)

Soldato
Awesome stuff. How does the vega 56 compare to the 1070? I think you've given me a great set components so far I think i'll just match a few up. I need to get a gaming keyboard and mouse too hehe :)

I believe at higher res like 1440p and 4k it pulls away, 1080p it might be equal - but flashing 64 Bios to increase the clock speeds gives it some boost as well as then manually overclocking it on top can bring it near gtx 1080 levels

Associate
OP
Soldato
I'm wondering how the https://www.overclockers.co.uk/8pac...-1600-3.90ghz-bu-00j-8p.html#p=beCH2;26bgjR2+ would compare with the components I have listed. Surely the 1600 would be bottle necked compared to the 1600x i've mentioned.

drop the X core- you dont need it- all it is , is a better binned or voltage chip- you should be able to overclock it yourself - doing that your build is £45 cheaper the Taichi bundle- but that does include 240 AIO and 3000 ram. You might not hit 3.9Ghz, just like buying the 1600 and board separate but in theory you should- easily 3.8!

the I7 7700K build i Quoted you above is the is roughly the same price - worth checking to see which is best for 1080p performance - should at least get that 4.8Ghz! speed is key with 1080p

but personally i'd like to see you pick up the Ryzen to put pressure on Intel- also their Coffeelake cores out out next month, but you'd still be looking at £260 for i5 8600k 6 core 6 thread that in theory will overclock to 5.0Ghz like series before

Associate
OP
Is it normal for them to put things 150 quid up in price?! The 8pack bundle is now 650 :S

What an absolute nightmare...

Will things come down at Christmas?

Back
Top Bottom