159mph copper's aquittal overturned

Permabanned
but it constitues inapropriate behaviour, and rule for all should apply as one rule for one, nail him i say, its about time that these people were made aware that they are NOT immune from the laws that they try to administer!

Don
[TW]Fox said:
Rubbish. I'd rather these guys got all the practice they can, experience breeds perfection.

Exactly, if you phoned the police due to an Emergency, you wouldn't want them sticking to the speed limit... you'd want them to get there as fast as they can. The only way to do this safely are in:

Good conditions
A capable car
speed where safe to do so, and more importantly

by knowing how their car will handle at those high speeds.

You can't get the experience of high speed from a track, yes you can find out how it handles, but every one who has been on a track and on a road will tell you they differ greatly.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Rubbish. I'd rather these guys got all the practice they can, experience breeds perfection.

What at near 160mph, when do the police ever travel at that speed when going to a call out. If he wanted high speed training why not to the Germany where he could have done 200mph+ all day if he wanted where its legal.

Man of Honour
cymatty said:
What at near 160mph, when do the police ever travel at that speed when going to a call out. If he wanted high speed training why not to the Germany where he could have done 200mph+ all day if he wanted where its legal.

Becuase driving in Germany is nothing like driving in the UK.

If he can handle a car properly at 159mph then 130mph in a pursuit would be a breeze.

They can do this, we can't. Get over it.

Permabanned
It was a woman judge ( :p ;) ), who obviously doesnt understand the concept of driving fast Vs driving dangerously. A sad day for our namby pamby legal system when a police officer is repremanded for doing what hes trained to do.

Man of Honour
Simon said:
Yeah I guess the tyres become stronger and everyone clears the road when a class 1 driver is in the car :p

Obviously this wont apply here becuase everyone here thinks they are the next Solberg, but generally, a Class 1 trained police driver has skill far in advance of anything the general public can muster.

I'd go so far as to say they'd probably be safer at 159mph than most people are at 80mph.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
I agree that they need to be trained and practice.. but on a public road.. NO WAY.. They are not above the law and I think he should face the full impact like anyone else would.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Obviously this wont apply here becuase everyone here thinks they are the next Solberg, but generally, a Class 1 trained police driver has skill far in advance of anything the general public can muster.

I'd go so far as to say they'd probably be safer at 159mph than most people are at 80mph.

People who have been in the army are trained in firearms.. should they be allowed to use them in public? I don't think so. This is the same.. Just because he can drive at 160 safely doesn't mean he should be allowed to.

Associate
well I was traveling on the m74 north last year just a tad over the limit, when a black omega came up behind at ( guess ) 120 plus in the rear screen is said "police driver under training" this was followed about 20 mins later by a marked police car doing the same speed with the same disclaimer in the rear screen

nither car had its blues on

Ok they have to practice but if some one had pulled out ( you do not expect cars traveling at that speed )

on a test track with other police drivers to provide realisem yes ok but not on the public roads

rant over

Man of Honour
So what do you want them to do, drive on public roads at 70mph only so when one day they need to hoof it on an emergency they.... have virtually zero experience of doing so in a public environment?

Nice one guys. You can't practive driving in a road environment anywhere but on the road.

Back
Top Bottom