• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1600 x 1200 which GFX?

JEB

JEB

Associate
I've got a mate that does a lot of Autocad work. He doesn't do any 3D modeling or such like, all engineering style drawings.

He's looking to buy either a 19" or 20" monitor. Would the likes of a 6600GT be able to support him running perhaps 1600 x 1200 on a 20" TFT? I wasn't sure it was the GFX that drove the different resolutions that you could run at, or whether it was the actual make\model of the TFT.

Associate
that would be fine mate.

All the recent gfx cards will run resolutions that high, they will just struggle running and complex images and games at that res.

If he's just doing technical drawings he should be fine... obviously a faster card will do the more complex stuff faster... but they do cost more.

PS... where did you get that jennifer Anniston pic from?

JEB

JEB

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply. I'm totally out of touch with GFX cards these days. What's the equivalent ATI card to the 6600GT, as I'm stuggling to find a good price on the 6600?

I've had the pic as part of my sig for too many years to remember :p I nabed it off the web somewhere, but the lord alone only knows where. I think I have the original full sized .jpg somewhere. If you want a copy let me know and I'll have a hunt.

Soldato
400mhz RAMDAC should guarantee you 2048x1536 @ 85Hz :)

If budget's not a problem, then your m8 should consider ATI FireGL or NVIDIA Quadro.

Soldato
JEB said:
Mate - what is RAMDAC - You've confused me :confused: :D
Random Access Memory Digital-to-Analogue Converter (RAMDAC) are chips found on graphics cards that convert the digital signal received from the graphics processing unit (GPU) to an analogue signal to be sent to the monitor. Digital displays can receive the unconverted signal from graphics cards capable of digital video output (via the DVI connector), and therefore do not require the additional processing provided by the RAMDAC.
The RAMDAC also maintains the colour palette, is essential for obtaining a stable and smooth image and determines refresh rate. The faster the RAMDAC, the higher the possible refresh rate.
Currently 400MHz is the standard speed on all cards. Newer cards have Dual 400MHz RAMDAC meaning it can output high resolutions to 2 monitors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom