1600X900 To 1920x1080 Screen

Permabanned
Had a chat to dell today as i was thinking about upgrading my screen from 1600X900 To 1920x1080 on my Dell XPS 17

Would it be worth it , Dell quoted me £270 including fitting at my home address by Dell

Any advice , i would be very greatful :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I personally think its too much to pay for such a small increase, have you priced the screens up off the bay, screens are one of the easiest parts to fit in a laptop.

str

str

Soldato
If you're willing to spend £270 on it I would go ahead as you'll be very happy with it.

There are various 17.3 FHD panels advertised on eBay but most of them are compatibles and the stock available these days is the LG version which has very poor vertical viewing angles. Even when sellers say they are selling one of the good versions they also have a disclaimer saying if out of stock they send a compatible which just means you'll most likely receive the LG version with the poor viewing angles.

I ordered the AUO B173HW01 V4 but was sent the LG panel and it cost me £91 delivered. I sent it back because of the poor vertical viewing angles.

A few days later I managed to get the AUO B173HW01 V4 from another seller which I am very happy with. The seller likely didn't know it was sought after as I got it for £50 delivered and it was in mint condition with no dead pixels.

It's not that hard to fit yourself and there are even guides online if you do a search.

I haven't checked recently but it's likely you won't find one of the better panels (with good vertical viewing angles) without having to pay a premium so you're looking at around £150 or so and then have to fit it yourself so that's why I'm saying if you are happy to get Dell to do it for £270 just go ahead with that.

str

str

Soldato
Actually I should add that Dell also do the 3D FHD panels which run at 120hz and they also do a built in nvidia ir emitter.

I'm not sure how much the 3D kit costs but you might be able to order it and fit it yourself.

I've ordered a L702x laptop with the 3D FHD panel etc from the Dell outlet for just over £800 delivered so maybe £270 for a standard FHD panel is a bit much to be paying.

Permabanned
OP
My other question is it worth buying :confused: advice please

Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" Widescreen LED Monitor - Midnight Grey and getting 1920x1080 via HDMI

Hanns G 27.5 inch Monitor HZ281

Advice would be very greatful

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
So some advice

Would it be better to replace my Dell XPS 17 screen with 1920x1080 from Dell or buy Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 1920x1080 :confused:

I am not sure what to do

Dell have said total cost of Dell XPS screen replacement £270

Soldato
Oh I see. Well depends really on if you use a pc regularly too and what the screen is like on it. If you're always on your laptop you might as well upgrade that. Otherwise, get the monitor.

Back
Top Bottom