17 year old girl allowed to kill herself Legally

Soldato
As depression is increasing in our society this sets a dangerous example of things to come.

The real question is why is it increasing so much, what is happening in society?

In a strange way, I think people who become chronically depressed essentially find modern developed societies under-stimulating.

I understand that it is a known phenomena that depressed people, when confronted by a real crisis. and By that, I mean the sort of life/death survival situation that we have spent millions of years evolving to cope with like an earthquake, tsunami, tornado, combat, and so on rather than the sort of things that people do get depressed about in the modern developed world, actually tend to snap out of it and perform really rather well.

They (We ;) ) may well have the genes that allow them to cope with life/death struggles such as competing with a lion for an antelope, But totally lack the capacity to cope with the day to day drudgery of filling in Tax forms etc and find such everyday modern stresses utterly soul destroying. :/

Man of Honour
i simply don't believe that there is a trauma that cannot be managed given the right help - and i don't believe the majority of the medical community believes it either.

Trama can be managed, but it's usually at the cost of quality of life. There is a judgement call over whether someone would prefer that lower quality of life or to end it in a dignified manner. That judgement call should be exclusively down to the person who's life it directly affects and not anyone who just wants an opinion on the matter.

Soldato
Trama can be managed, but it's usually at the cost of quality of life. There is a judgement call over whether someone would prefer that lower quality of life or to end it in a dignified manner. That judgement call should be exclusively down to the person who's life it directly affects and not anyone who just wants an opinion on the matter.

so we let everyone who's suicidal kill themselves because they know best?

Soldato
In a strange way, I think people who become chronically depressed essentially find modern developed societies under-stimulating.
(not that you said contrary ...)

I don't think we have any details on her particular case, but, generally, like other medical conditons isn't there a rise in awareness, as opposed to an absolute increase ?
but, maybe Zuck should share some responsibility, for adolescent depression, facilitating propagation of idealised life expectations.

Equally I don't think footballers/the princes/'celebrities' discussing their depression helps, they do not have enough maturity/introspection to acknowledge their nonetheless privileged positions (financial / medical resources), so their experience may well be different to the majority .... and, the media, or medical professions, have not really called them out. I had thought Alistair Campbell's opening up, was the most candid/honest.

Soldato
If that's what they want and they've had plenty of time and space to make a considered decision, why should anyone have the right to stop them?

i would argue that they are not in the right state of mind to make such a decision - people do recover from these states with the right treatment.

Associate
i simply don't believe that there is a trauma that cannot be managed given the right help - and i don't believe the majority of the medical community believes it either.

You should actually ask some of the medical community who work in mental health what their opinion is, I think you'll find it a real eye-opener. You'll find that they know full well that there are people who are beyond the current capabilities of neuroscience to help in any effective way - we can't even treat things like anorexia, depression and PND with any consistency.

It might not seem like an important distinction, but it is - she didn't commit suicide. She refused life-saving medical treatment with the mental capacity to know that it would result in her death. It might not seem like much of a difference, but for most countries it very much is. It's surprisingly difficult to force medical treatment on people if they are judged to have capacity.

Soldato
Her life was given as a gift? To whom? To her? How does that work?

Parents decide to have kids. Parents have kids. New kids had no say in being brought into the world.

And yet you say her life was given as a gift? Again, to whom? To her? How can you gift life to someone who doesn't exist? None of that makes any sense.

If a person is miserable and broken then what kind of gift was it? The article doesn't say who raped her, but in some cases it is the family and even the father. What kind of a gift is that?

She shouldn't kill herself because her life is a gift? I can't get my head around this at all.

The gift is life itself given by god. What we do with it is another matter.

We have no right to take our own life (seven deadly sins).

No doubt you’ll be confused at my response as well lol

Life is precious.... it can’t be thrown away.

Associate
or maybe get her help and not kill her

Thank you, yes!

I suggest that dystopian suicide clinics that encourage healthy young people to off themselves is a bad thing, and some smug ultra-atheist ultra-nihilist ultra-humanist fwits immediately rage that I'm complicit in the sadistic torture of a 17 y/o girl.

The key word is smug for this lot. The smug oppression that the materialist self-determined humanists insist on as they broadcast their message with absolute certainty that they have transcended the concept of hope or change, and anyone who thinks differently is to be viciously denounced.

Caporegime
Let me flip this on its head.

If someone can explain their reasons for dying, what right do you have to keep them alive against their will?

What right does anyone have over a person who wants to die, to prevent that wish?

Why do your "rights" trump their right to do as they wish with their own life?

Thank you, yes!

I suggest that dystopian suicide clinics that encourage healthy young people to off themselves is a bad thing, and some smug ultra-atheist ultra-nihilist ultra-humanist fwits immediately rage that I'm complicit in the sadistic torture of a 17 y/o girl.

The key word is smug for this lot. The smug oppression that the materialist self-determined humanists insist on as they broadcast their message with absolute certainty that they have transcended the concept of hope or change, and anyone who thinks differently is to be viciously denounced.
The trouble is you're looking at that girl and seeing a "healthy young person", when the reality is she was not healthy. She was terminally ill, mentally.

Unfortunately what this thread shows is that some people don't view mental illness as illness at all, but something you can snap out of/shake off after a while, then (being completely cured) be a perfectly "normal" person for the rest of your days.

Some people will never be cured. Accept that. Some people can only ever pretend to be normal on the outside, but mentally they are screaming/drowning all day every day. Some of us even have experience of living with that.

And those people have a right to decide when enough is enough.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The gift is life itself given by god. What we do with it is another matter.

Why does miscarriage exist then? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

RDM

RDM

Soldato

I am slightly confused by your post. None of the 7 deadly sins mention suicide....

Caporegime
This thread really shows we have a long way to go with mental illness.
a lot of people still think because its not physical or cab be managed /cured.

And of course we were going to get the religious views in here.

I never really understand the life is precious thing if you are atheist to the point where you go against someone's wishes to end it when it will end anyway at some point and you won't remember anything anyway

Soldato
Some people will never be cured. Accept that.

I simply cannot afford to believe that. If i did i would already be dead.

Some people can only ever pretend to be normal on the outside, but mentally they are screaming/drowning all day every day. Some of us even have experience of living with that.

i can assure you i have known what thats like for a long time.

Soldato
That'll shout not kill... :p longshot
That’s one of the commandments. Not a deadly sin. The 7 deadly sins are;
Lust
Sloth
Gluttony
Greed
Wrath
Envy
Pride
None of which have anything to do with what that dude was talking about. Guessing in his frothing he got the commandments and sins mixed up. Trip back to Sunday school needed for them me thinks.

Back
Top Bottom