18-22amps on my 12v Rail ... not enough?

Soldato
Still having problems with my pc :rolleyes:

I replaced my DS4 with a P5B Delux WiFi thinking that it'd solve my problems, as my graphics card worked fine in another PC:

Other PC's spec:

same power supply as mine ThermalTake Silent PurePower 560w
nVidia 6800GT (replaced that with my X1950 XT to test, and it worked fine in this setup)
Some asus mobo (not sure which exactly)
AMD 64 3500 (ish)
1GB DDR RAM

My PC's spec (crashes in Company of Heroes, memory couldn't be read in counter strike, randomly stops working for Call of Duty 2):

ThermalTake Silent PurePower 560w
Gigabyte DS4 (now changed to P5B Delux WiFi but problems remain)
E6300 @ Stock with cooler (36-40'c idle, 55'c load)
Sapphire X1950 XT 256mb (when I swapped this for the 6800 above, Campany of Heroes had no problems)
1GB Kingston HyperX RAM (sent one stick back and recieved a different revision, no change. passes memtest, orthos on hi priority, etc)

Hrm...

Now one problem, which is maybe power related:
My CD drive randomly messes up. E.g. installing windows I can hear it; Buzz Buzz Buzz Cruuunch - like there's a bogey on the CD I'm using. But there's not! Opening/closing the tray solves the problem, though, and doing system file check/scandisk after install gives no errors. I'm confident windows installs ok -the point is that it's wierd that the CD drive is messing up like that... again, low power (ampage)? Also, once windows was installed, it wouldn't read the Asus mobo driver cd either! So I put another CD drive in, but the same problem... But the CD worked fine in another PC altogether, where I copied the CD, and the copied CD worked fine in the (under powered?) cd drive/computer.

Right well as per title, the internetz tells me that my power supply is 18-22amps on the 12v rail... the X1950 XT says it needs 30amps :eek:

Do you think all my problems could be power related? (bear in mind the other PC with the same power supply had no probs with my graphics card, but its other components were all completely different to mine)

What power supply should I get? (Max £80)

Any other thoughts/comments about it?

Last edited:
Soldato
sounds like it. thats a shocking value for a 560w psu but then...thermaltake have never made decent psu's. max £80? coresair 520w. instead of 18-22amp 'rated' on the 12v rail, it has 36amps tested and proved.

bear in mind that your card doesnt need that amount of power. that figure is the recommend amount the psu should have to power a reasonable system including that card:)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Cool. If I scraped together an extra tenner to make it £90, would I be able to get better "bang for my buck", or would the Corsair 520 still be the best bet?

Any other comments/ideas on my problems welcome btw!

Soldato
OP
Ok cool. Even better than the Antec TruePower Trio 650W PSU..? The ampage of the Corsair outweighs the wattage of the Antec, I guess..?

Also, modular sounds nice (does that mean that I can take cables off the box if they're not used?).

Just so people don't decide against posting suggestions etc; any other comments welcome :)

Man of Honour
mattpj said:
:rolleyes: can anyone find out how much an Artic 600w by Jeantech puts out for a PCI-E connector

thank you

Well from a link off the Jeantech website to Tom's Hardware Guide review it seems to have 2x12v rails both providing 19A each. They don't however go into great depth about various loads on the rails or 'ripple' effects and the like. :)

For the original question I can only agree with james.miller, the Corsair 520w is the best for the budget.

Soldato
OP
Okay cool :)

I have a funny feeling that a new PSU isn't going to solve my problem :p But we shall see. I'm probably just being pessimistic - especially as it's been a month and a day since I got this system and it still isn't working properly :rolleyes: I've learnt not to bother hoping too much...

*goes and cries in the corner*

Associate
semi pro waster. thanks very much for the link. I am having a problem with a x1950pro........ would that be good enough to keep it going at full tilt.

Man of Honour
mattpj said:
semi pro waster. thanks very much for the link. I am having a problem with a x1950pro........ would that be good enough to keep it going at full tilt.

I don't know what else you have in your system but assuming a pretty normal PC, yes, that should easily be enough for an X1950pro, it should be on a separate rail than the CPU. If you haven't already tried this then try putting the X1950pro onto a different loom (lead from the PSU) and see if that sorts any problems as it may be that yours doesn't auto-switch to a combined rail but always maintains a single rail which you could be overloading. :)

Soldato
OP
WEB_PS_3-TABLE.gif

The corsair has 18 Amps on the 12 volt rail, also... :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
it has 3 seperate 12v rails, but there are no load limiters on the seperate rails (long story short - they arent really 'seperate'). that means you can, if needed, load a single rail on the 620w with a full 54amp if you need to. You can check the decent reviews to varify this:)

Man of Honour
ATX specification gives you +-5% on the 12v rail so you could drop to 11.4v or up to 12.6v approximately with it still being considered within specification. I'd be more worried about fluctuations than something which is constantly at 11.8v or whatever. :)

Soldato
OP
Well when the pc loads, it's on 12v +/- 0.01v, but on company of heroes, it loads, then when it gets to the bit which says "Press Any Key", the voltage drops to ~11.85v and graphics cards fan kicks in (wierd, because surely at that stage it's done all the loading and has no graphics to process until you press a key to start the game).

Is that a fluctuation to be worried about? A drop of about 0.15v.. And it did drop to about 11.8v at one point.

It intermittently crashes about 1 minute after pressing any key, by the way! About 50% of the time.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't worry too much about the voltage drop by itself, you are loading the system so I'd expect it to possibly drop a little, however the crashes might indicate a bigger problem. Do you have another PSU that you can use to see if that sorts it? Maybe borrow a mates for a day or two if they are amenable to the idea. :)

Soldato
OP
I have a PSU that's the same as mine, which I'll try tomorrow... I'm going to try powering the graphics card seperately if the other PSU alone doesn't help - so one PSU powering the whole system minus the graphics card, which will have its own PSU... Just for tesing, of course. Are there any problems with doing that?

Man of Honour
It might be rather difficult to get them both starting at exactly the same time and you need to know which pins to short to get the second PSU working but people have done the same sort of thing. Just try a quick search of the forums or Google to see their suggestions, if I was to pass on the information it would merely be secondhand. :)

Back
Top Bottom