180hp for £2,700- what's the catch?

Soldato
Standard 1.8T with a remap would be a proper wolf in sheeps clothing :p

Before buying my vRS I had a look at a 1.8T L&K. Lovely car, tatty though and looked a bit dull for my 25 year old tastes at the time.

Soldato
I have the "smaller" turbo one, my remap has really conservative setting and is basically setup for uber economy.

mine dynod on sunday on a proper DynoDynamics set of rollers and scored 190 and it was a really warm day

Associate
There are *some* 1.8T 4x4's out there, none of them vRS though.

I've had one from new. I've found it hard to find anything to replace it with!

Things to bear in mind if you go for one over a vRS:
-With the 4wd system it is 100kg or so more than the FWD.
-As standard it sits 25mm higher than even a normal octavia!
-Discs are smaller, but the calipers are the same as the vRS. Upgrading is just a case of fitting bigger discs and a part that moves the calipers outward.
-Standard power is 150bhp, but easy to chip
-The boot isn't as deep because of the rear diff (but is still cavernous).

With any of the 1.8t, check whether it has been run on long life (20k) servicing intervals. When they get to around 80k miles the sump gets clogged. If it has been, it might be worth dropping the sump to clean it out when you get the car.

Soldato
MGZT 190's can be had for peanuts, I only paid £1600 for my 03 one with 68k (New cambelt clutch and tyres) It's almost immaculate just one small dent.

Had it almost a year now, getting between 27-29MPG it's hard not to keep putting your foot down as engine note is very pleasing.

Caporegime
180HP in a 'relatively' low weight car makes for enough overtaking power when required but also makes for a decent cruise without costing a fortune on petrol. It's enough to pass cars effectively. Faster than most econoboxes anyway.

Soldato
couple of left field suggestions

206 gti 180?
Toyota corolla vvtli (the 190 bhp one)
mini cooper S

the only problem you have is theres so much choice for a 180 odd horses with that budget. really depends what you want yourself.

personally id look at a mondeo diesel 155 titanium/titanium x for that money and then map it. give you the required bhp decentish economy and reasonable performance. it all boils down to where and how you like to drive and what you want from a car

Soldato
I think we should do a vote system which makes a binding nomination for who has to buy the awesome cars that get posted up for sale

Soldato
I had my Octavia vRS for 6 or 7 years.

It wasn't perfect (standard suspension!) but I liked that it was cheap, had part leather seats, climate control, and generally some nice touches all as standard. It's also pretty quick once remapped and stood up to years of thrashing in that state of tune.

I doubt it was much slower than my Focus ST, if at all. The soundtrack isn't nearly as good though!

Back
Top Bottom