180hp for £2,700- what's the catch?

Soldato
Regarding Octavias, is there any major differences between a regular 1.8T and a VRS 1.8T? Suspension etc? Apart from the standard power of course.

Soldato
Regarding Octavias, is there any major differences between a regular 1.8T and a VRS 1.8T? Suspension etc? Apart from the standard power of course.

Yes, the vRS has stiffer, lower suspension and more bracing as standard. I think there are some minor chassis differences as well (part seam welded rings a bell) plus they look better ;)

Seriously though I test drove a 1.8T L&K and it was much more refined and still went ok.

Soldato
WHS ^^ bit much for the age....
I just sold my 9-5 Aero, with Stage 1 remap - admittedly, had 142k on it, but was lease car for first 117k and everything had been done by the book. Anyway, I had a list of things starting to go wrong, and then the throttle body went so I sold up for £370 as-is on the Bay of E's......really didn't have the time or energy, and already replaced the car.

Still, back on topic, the 9-5 Aero is a really powerful car, not just in BHP but a load of usable torque too. Add an easy 20% hike in torque from a cheap remap (check out Saab forums for NoobTune) and you have a super quick car, built solidly and with a whole lot of kit. Easily within the upto £3k budget these days too, should be able to find a 06 car, I would have thought.

Associate
Id go for a VRS 1.8T. For the money, there isnt much else as reliable, easy to get parts for and affordable to run. A remap will see them at 200hp+ and an extra 30ftlb+ of torque.

Mine was done from 180 and it managed 200hp with about 240ftlb torque a few years ago (Everything stock).

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the suggestions and insight. I've been tempted by rx8s now as they're rwd and generally more sports focused and harder than a soarer or big merc. I did think about the soarer ( might have been Lexus equivalent) and look at old e classes but I think I want something more sporty than an auto luxo barge.

In not looking for masses of power, I can overtake just fine in my 1996 76hp Almera thanks. I'm more after sporty feel than outright speed, although no less than 160 in a family sized car so that it is a nice increase from an experience point of view. And yes I'm considering an mx5 before suggesting!

Can someone explain remapping? It seems to be like overclocking for your car... Noticeable performance increase for not much money? I'm not keen on it as I imagine insures will get a bit ****y about that... Unless it "doesn't count" as modifying?

Caporegime
Overclocking your car is a good analogy. Basically manufacturers will under stress their engines as they know that my doing so they will get less warranty claims and not every owner is as careful with servicing and oil changes. There's also fuel quality so they detune or 'underclock' the engine to account for this. Remapping is really just releasing the potential of the engine in stock form. I've yet to do it to my Leon Cupra but I probably will at some point.

Soldato
fuel use is another factor

economy is such an important factor they are pretty much limted to only adding fuel for component protection so lots of engines gain power just by adding fuel

Soldato
Remap *should* be declared to your insurers, as it does count as a modification. Some insurers are more choosy than others when it comes to this, so your mileage may vary.
For example, on my old 9-5 Aero, the remap gave +25hp (+10%), but 70nm (+20%) torque - Admiral worked out best, but still cost me around £70/annum more......which, considering the policy started as only about £300 was quite a chunk!
That said, the remap itself was great - more oomph still, marginally better economy :)eek:) and selectable modes (economy, normal, sport)......

Soldato
Seem sort of turbo Saab is a good shout,

Ridiculous potential from certain models

There's 2 500 bhp fwd turbos floating around these parts although the vauxhall boys are now turning to the engines due to a shortage of decent c20lets left

Soldato
In not looking for masses of power, I can overtake just fine in my 1996 76hp Almera thanks. I'm more after sporty feel than outright speed, although no less than 160 in a family sized car so that it is a nice increase from an experience point of view. And yes I'm considering an mx5 before suggesting!

I went from an Integra Type R to a vRS when my daughter was born due to the huge boot.

I really miss the Integra, though the vRS has plenty of power for day to day driving with the family onboard, i really wouldn't class it as a drivers car, for me it was the best compromise but unless you need the space I'd suggest there are more suitable cars for you if you want a sporty feel.

I rarely drive these days, I work from home or commute by train, so supermarket runs and popping round to my mates is pretty much it. Before though I'd quite happily use £20 worth of petrol on a blast out in the ITR just for the hell of it, the vRS just doesn't excite me in any way.

The timing belt just went on my vRS too, I have so little inclination to fix it and am thinking about scrapping it and getting a cheap Fiesta as a run about for the missus while i save up for something fun as we no longer have to carry a boot full of prams, travel cots, etc.

Soldato
Who remapped your Aero may I ask ?

Guy on one of the Saab 'boards.....goes by the username of NoobTune. He has a very good reputation in Saab circles, either can go to him or exchange ECUs via mail etc. Really solid tune, no issues and a great price.
Yep, the Aero (particularly the 9-5 engine) has a load of potential without needing to resort to hardware changes. A simple remap turns an already quick car into something even better, and the other components are up to the job.

Back
Top Bottom