180hp for £2,700- what's the catch?

Soldato
Nothing.

Other than the usual checks, crash damage, HPI clear, service history etc.

Check that the cambelt and water pump have been changed, also engine coil packs can fail, but that's the same with any VAG 20VT.

Still miss mine.

Soldato
Unpractical carpets, (off white) and poor rear leg room, especially if the front seat occupants are tall, like me!

Personally, I wouldn't touch a modified car with a barge pole either.

Soldato
This Octavia RS seems like a hell of a lot of car (engine) for your money- and I see similar things for early 2000s Modeos ST220s. What is the catch with these kinds of cars?

No catch, other than it's an 11 year old performance(ish) car that will have all the associated running costs e.g. higher insurance, not especially good on fuel etc.

The white carpets are a stupid idea though, and the strut braces intrude into the rear boot space quite a lot (though can be unbolted if required).

Soldato
Still miss mine.

Snap.

No catch just a cracking VFM car. Wish I'd fixed all the issues with my one rather than giving it away at auction.

Edit - white carpets and seats come up well enough with a wet vac though. Rear braces, well you can strap stuff to them to stop it sliding about and as for the rear legroom... it's fine*

*For a 3 year old :p

Last edited:
Associate
love the octavia vrs. My mate currently has one of the fastest in the country. Picked up the fastest skoda at inters last sunday :)

Huge boot too!

Caporegime
Leon Cupra will give you 180HP, slightly smaller and another gear. No real catch. I have said Cupra and its been faultless for the last few months.

Soldato
If you're going to buy something 15 years old and fast then I reckon Prelude's are awesome value if you can find a nice one. 185-200bhp with 0-60 in 7 seconds (and Honda reliability), for about a grand.

Caporegime
A lot of petrol cars are considered the devil as everyone is switching over to diesel as they can not afford them (or at least thats what they think). The expensive tax also puts people off.

Less so the ST220 but the Octavia is quite a powerful car while still being quite economical when needed. The 1.8 turbo is a great engine when compared to the opposition of the time.

Gti 180 golfs are even cheaper if a proper hatchback is your kind of thing. If you want to go even cheaper than that you can get Bora's or even Toledo's with the 180bhp engine.

The Skoda on the other hand is the best looker in my opinion with the body kit and 17" wheels although I would guess under all that garnish it is pretty much the same as any other VAG car of that era?

Last edited:
Associate
You can also have 230bhp rx8 for that money now too which prolly has far less miles as no one but me can afford to run one ;)

A 180bhp Octavia probably produces more power than a "230" bhp rx8 though going off some of the dyno runs I've seen.

For much more power for similar/less cash then Saab Aero's are where he should be looking. People tend to hang onto them for a while too so it's possible to find 2 owner, fssh cars for the price.

Soldato
Octavia vRS is a good shout. I own one and its a brilliant machine. I personally would also buy a clean standard example rather than a modified one.

Back
Top Bottom