£1850 Budget for Gaming Rig, Monitor snd Rift Bundle.

Associate
Evening Gentlemen,

Im hoping someone will be able to help.
Ive finally decided to invest in a gaming PC, its primary uses will be for the following:
- Oculus Rift
- Scrapmechanic (My Son)
- Minecraft (My Son)
- A little bit of Lightroom.

Ive set myself a budget of £1850 and this needs to include:

- Oculus Rift Bundle £350
- The PC Itself £1350
- Monitor £250

The above prices are only rough and how ive broken them down in my head.

I would like to game at 1440p when I do use it for gaming. I currently game on a Xbox One X on a 65" OLED B7 so want something decent. (If affordable)

I appreciate my monitor budget isnt very high but i could always upgrade that at a later date.

I have a keyboard and mouse but will need an OS and probably some speakers of some sort.

Ive never built a PC before but im relativley technically minded and have always had an interest so dont think I will have any problems.

Any questions please ask and thank you for your input.

Lee

Soldato
Put together a few VR lists on here , key being they users are directly able to plug there headsets into the front of the case for ease and quickness - works well if using a case that's not easy to turn, work area that's hard to move around and after a simple life haha .

@Kev1eighty7 just out one together

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31497916/

Few more linked up here as well .

Do you mind a standard ATX build or would you like something small like your console ?

Associate
OP
Put together a few VR lists on here , key being they users are directly able to plug there headsets into the front of the case for ease and quickness - works well if using a case that's not easy to turn, work area that's hard to move around and after a simple life haha .

@Kev1eighty7 just out one together

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31497916/

Few more linked up here as well .

Do you mind a standard ATX build or would you like something small like your console ?
Standard build would be fine mate, thanks for your help.

I would probably leave my VR set up and plugged in if possible. Probably but a glass head to moubt it on kn ghe desk but leave it all connected. I imagjne the VR will get the must frequent use.

Last edited:
Soldato
Standard build would be fine mate, thanks for your help.

I would probably leave my VR set up and plugged in if possible. Probably but a glass head to moubt it on kn ghe desk but leave it all connected. I imagjne the VR will get the must frequent use.

Cool, saves quoting a model which is top tier and can keep costs down, also case can be smaller without CD bays

With VR, the more powerful the GPU the better !

System is bang on £1350 and has a gtx 1080ti, most powerful GPU there is, for that amount of damn.. damn ! Does mean only 16GB of system ram but the card it's self has 11GB so should be ok for a while .

Monitor is £50 over but will show you true 4k gaming - just about ... Even mighty Ti, struggles in some areas with 4k, damn better then a console though
Also delivery is £15

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,671.54 (includes shipping: £14.70)

Though I haven't included windows . Google tells you ways for £20-30 odd .
If you do buy it properly will drop you to next tier GPU model

Another screen , 1440p VA panel , 75hz which Ti should drive easily

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...reesync-widescreen-led-monitor-mo-04g-ao.html

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cool, saves quoting a model which is top tier and can keep costs down, also case can be smaller without CD bays

With VR, the more powerful the GPU the better !

System is bang on £1350 and has a gtx 1080ti, most powerful GPU there is, for that amount of damn.. damn ! Does mean only 16GB of system ram but the card it's self has 11GB so should be ok for a while .

Monitor is £50 over but will show you true 4k gaming - just about ... Even mighty Ti, struggles in some areas with 4k, damn better then a console though
Also delivery is £15

Total: £1,671.54 (includes shipping: £14.70)

Though I haven't included windows . Google tells you ways for £20-30 odd .
If you do buy it properly will drop you to next tier GPU model

Another screen , 1440p VA panel , 75hz which Ti should drive easily

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...reesync-widescreen-led-monitor-mo-04g-ao.html

Thank you mate, thats great!

I would probably go for the 1440p monitor with the 75hz refresh rate and save £100.

Is it an option to go with one 8gb stick of ram over 2 x 4gb so that I can add another 8gb stick at a later date to make it 16gb?

And lastly, would if be better to get a smaller ssd and add a 1TB 7200 HD? Ive actually got a 1TB USB 3.0 ext drive that i used to use on my xbox so I could use that? Amd will in need thermal paste, nuts bolts or cable ties, things like that?

Thanks again.

Lee

Associate
OP
Sorry, one last thing. Csn i get the benefit if freesync using a Nvidia GPU? And how dose that CPU compare to the i5 8400 6 core?

Edit: one more thing: how many USB ports diesnthis give me at the back and how many total?

Also ive noticed theres no additional coolers or fans? In not planning on overclocking, will this be ok as is?

Sorry to be a nusiance

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thank you mate, thats great!

I would probably go for the 1440p monitor with the 75hz refresh rate and save £100.

Is it an option to go with one 8gb stick of ram over 2 x 4gb so that I can add another 8gb stick at a later date to make it 16gb?

And lastly, would if be better to get a smaller ssd and add a 1TB 7200 HD? Ive actually got a 1TB USB 3.0 ext drive that i used to use on my xbox so I could use that? Amd will in need thermal paste, nuts bolts or cable ties, things like that?

Thanks again.

Lee

the way AMD works, having dual channel enabled will help greatly compared to using 1 stick. quick terms the cluster of cores talk to each other as fast as the ram speed, and all benchmarks are done via dual channel which puts it just behind expensive intel units for gaming and for multitasking ahead. in theory going from dual channel to single- you cut the bandwidth of data - if your not planning to overclock, get 2x4GB sticks if you cant afford 2x 8gb. since no overclock, cpu will be able to handle 4 sticks, when you get into heav overclocking - gets a bit more tricky but has greatly improved over time

i personally tend to quote largest SSD drive i can- as buying HDD later on will be much much much cheaper then another smaller SSD down the line

stock cooler which is not to bad actually has paste, if you want to save £5. keep it- if not. thermal grizzlie for £5

cant use AMD freesync on Nvidia cards, but that card is strong enough not to get massive frame drops!!!!

since the i5 8400 is no longer £150-70 , ryzen 1600! its a little slower in games, but multitasking its better - i have both :) new intel cores are great! but demand has shot the price up!

Associate
OP
the way AMD works, having dual channel enabled will help greatly compared to using 1 stick. quick terms the cluster of cores talk to each other as fast as the ram speed, and all benchmarks are done via dual channel which puts it just behind expensive intel units for gaming and for multitasking ahead. in theory going from dual channel to single- you cut the bandwidth of data - if your not planning to overclock, get 2x4GB sticks if you cant afford 2x 8gb. since no overclock, cpu will be able to handle 4 sticks, when you get into heav overclocking - gets a bit more tricky but has greatly improved over time

i personally tend to quote largest SSD drive i can- as buying HDD later on will be much much much cheaper then another smaller SSD down the line

stock cooler which is not to bad actually has paste, if you want to save £5. keep it- if not. thermal grizzlie for £5

cant use AMD freesync on Nvidia cards, but that card is strong enough not to get massive frame drops!!!!

since the i5 8400 is no longer £150-70 , ryzen 1600! its a little slower in games, but multitasking its better - i have both :) new intel cores are great! but demand has shot the price up!

Thanks again Orbital,

Sorry for the constant questions but I want to get this right as you can probably imagine :)

How does the i5 7600k compare to the AMD Ryzen 5? It only has 4 cores, will this effect me?

I've got nothing against AMD I've just never really given them much thought and have always looked at Intel as being the best processors. That i5 is currently on OC for £229.00, I don't know what mother board I would need that would have the most USB ports for VR and how much that would cost but I've also read that Ram is cheaper, is this true? Would this be better?

Also mate, how many ram slots does the MB take? is it 2 or 4? I might double up the ram and put 4 x 4gb sticks if thats the best way of doing it?

And the misses dont like the sound of a 32" monitor, she thinks it will look stupid on the desk, she might be right!!

Any other monitors around the £200 mark you could suggest?

Thanks again.

Lee:)

Last edited:
Associate
Hello lee,

A ryzen 5 1600 defeats the 7600k (when the processor is used to its fullest) and also the new 8600k which is priced around £250 and at same price the ryzen 1700 (also around £250) defeats the 8600k when it is utilised by software to take advantage of cores and threads.

I might add a overclocked 7600k and 8600k will still be defeated by the ryzen when the ryzen is overclocked as well or even at it's stock clocks.

Anyways this is good news > https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/CES-2018-AMD-Drops-Ryzen-CPU-Prices-30-Percent

Also watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RMbYe4X2LI

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hello lee,

A ryzen 5 1600 defeats the 7600k (when the processor is used to its fullest) and also the new 8600k which is priced around £250 and at same price the ryzen 1700 (also around £250) defeats the 8600k when it is utilised by software to take advantage of cores and threads.

I might add a overclocked 7600k and 8600k will still be defeated by the ryzen when the ryzen is overclocked as well or even at it's stock clocks.

Anyways this is good news > https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/CES-2018-AMD-Drops-Ryzen-CPU-Prices-30-Percent

Also watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RMbYe4X2LI

Thanks Dan, when do you think we will see the price drops?

Im having a mare linking a basket to a post, I've read the how to and I've saved the URL to my bookmarks but now im lost:)

Associate
OP
Sussed out the basket posting, I was reading an old thread that was telling mr some long winded way of doing it!!

What do you think?

Total: £1,752.68 (includes shipping: £15.90)

Im happy to add an extra £50 to what I've spent, is that the best system for that money and is that absolutely everything I need?

Cheers chaps.

Lee.

Soldato
And the misses dont like the sound of a 32" monitor, she thinks it will look stupid on the desk, she might be right!!

The first ever time I've heard a woman complain about inches .... Haha
It is big , bit is VA panel :) and cheap !

Intel will beat current ryzen for pure gaming ! No question , stronger IPC and IMC . Swing around with Zen+ in April ( if AMD are smart they will push pricing on bar with Intel ) . Though current ryzen will drop prices as stated as they want to clear the channels .
No retailer likes a large build up of stock and no rebate for cutting prices

Build is solid... Ti build for £1300... Damn :D
Rather out that cash for the HDD to the ram personally. Again, SSD and ram prices will carrying on increasing for a while. HDD stay at a flat rate

Associate
OP
The first ever time I've heard a woman complain about inches .... Haha
It is big , bit is VA panel :) and cheap !

Intel will beat current ryzen for pure gaming ! No question , stronger IPC and IMC . Swing around with Zen+ in April ( if AMD are smart they will push pricing on bar with Intel ) . Though current ryzen will drop prices as stated as they want to clear the channels .
No retailer likes a large build up of stock and no rebate for cutting prices

Build is solid... Ti build for £1300... Damn :D
Rather out that cash for the HDD to the ram personally. Again, SSD and ram prices will carrying on increasing for a while. HDD stay at a flat rate
Cheers Orbital. Are you saying you would drop the HDD and add another 16gb ram? The HDD is only £79.99 though?

Saying that i forgot the OS, but ive seen a few places online that sell the OS cheap.

Edit: Just thought of something else, will I need a sound or network card??

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers Orbital. Are you saying you would drop the HDD and add another 16gb ram? The HDD is only £79.99 though?

Saying that i forgot the OS, but ive seen a few places online that sell the OS cheap.

Edit: Just thought of something else, will I need a sound or network card??

No on board audio had come a long way ! Also card has its down network port :)

Sorry, I meant drop the HDD and replace the 8GB ram sticks for 16GB version for £199 :)
Little bit extra but worth it in long run

Associate
OP
No on board audio had come a long way ! Also card has its down network port :)

Sorry, I meant drop the HDD and replace the 8GB ram sticks for 16GB version for £199 :)
Little bit extra but worth it in long run

Cheers mate.

Thats what i had done in my basket above.

But I might drop the 3tb to 1tb for now and use my ext if needed and add a copy of windows 10.

What will i need to connect wireless to the internet, i have no way having a wire connection in my set up?

Soldato
Cheers mate.

Thats what i had done in my basket above.

But I might drop the 3tb to 1tb for now and use my ext if needed and add a copy of windows 10.

What will i need to connect wireless to the internet, i have no way having a wire connection in my set up?

dongle or wifi card

BB CODE
Total: £56.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

worth doing search on cards to see if they work ok with Windows 10

change ram for one packet of 2x8GB and not have two packs of 2x4GB- means you would have filled all 4 slots on the board and puts greater strain on cpu IMC - which isnt much of an issue if your not overclocking - but still

Total: £208.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

and yeah, 3TB might be a bit overkill for storage :D

if youve got the funds to stretch the gtx 1080 ti to versions with better cooling 2x 100mm or 3x 80mm over the select dual 80mm fans - also they have custom board designs

Total: £1,489.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
dongle or wifi card

BB CODE
Total: £56.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

worth doing search on cards to see if they work ok with Windows 10

change ram for one packet of 2x8GB and not have two packs of 2x4GB- means you would have filled all 4 slots on the board and puts greater strain on cpu IMC - which isnt much of an issue if your not overclocking - but still

Total: £208.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

and yeah, 3TB might be a bit overkill for storage :D

if youve got the funds to stretch the gtx 1080 ti to versions with better cooling 2x 100mm or 3x 80mm over the select dual 80mm fans - also they have custom board designs

Total: £1,489.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Youre a star mate, thank you.

Your help with this has been brilliant!!

Back
Top Bottom