19" TFT for Photoshop/Video editing

Associate
A question of those here. My 19" CRT monitor is in the process of popping its clogs and I'm looking to replace it with a 19" TFT to sit alongside the cheapie 19" TFT I already have (dual monitor setup).

I'm not interested in performance in games, but I do what something that can be used for Photoshop and video editing. The existing secondary monitor shows some obvious thoughts even after calibration.

From what I have been able to find most of the problem seems to be down to TN panels having 6 bit colour depth, with the rest faked via dither. Suggestions seem to lean towards the other panel technologies. However the cost of most of these seems to be roughly 100%+ more expensive than the cheap TN 19" monitors.

Does anyone have an pointers for decent quality, photo/video editing monitors that don't break the bank?

Man of Honour
Well the Eizo and Lacie range are generally considered good TFT's for photo work,. but like you say, they can be pretty expensive. The Dell 1905FP is a very good price for a non TN panel, and offers some excellent static image quality, along with a good black depth and 8 bit colour. Might be worth looking at if you're wanting a more cost effective solution while still looking at TFT's instead of CRT's.

Soldato
I am pretty certain you know this, but one thing to bare in mind is that a 19" TFT will only display at 1280x1024. This is quite a drop if you are used to running your 19" crt at 1600x1200...

Associate
OP
Dark_Angel said:
I am pretty certain you know this, but one thing to bare in mind is that a 19" TFT will only display at 1280x1024. This is quite a drop if you are used to running your 19" crt at 1600x1200...

I've been running the CRT at 1280x1024 so that I get a desktop of 2560x1024 - its easier like that.

I've looked at the Dell 1905FP and the Viewsonic VP930 - since they both get mentions elsewhere. However neither really come under the heading of 'good value for money' IMHO and I was wondering if anyone had come up with good alternatives in less well known makes (the Belinea 10 19 20 also gets good mentions, but is virtually impossible to find). Its just about impossible to get info on panel type, even though this seems to be key - too many spurious viewing angles and response times. Strange, since I'll guess there are more people editing photos on PC nowadays than playing games.

Associate
I have the VP930 gdpayne and its absolutely first class for photo editing. I realise its an expensive monitor but you do get value for your money. The blacks are quite deep, [very for a TFT]. And although there is a tiny amount of light bleed which is inevitable with all TFT's at the moment, its very slight and more important, its even all over the display.

Associate
OP
Well, getting a new main LCD monitor to replace my CRT has gone from a 'someday' to a 'today' - since my CRT went *pfft* last night; accompanied by crackling and the smell of smoke. A moments silence for a long and faithfull service.

Anyway, looking around I think I'm going to have to go for the Viewsonic VP930. I thought it might we worthwhile to document my discoveries along the way.

Dell 1905FP monitor appears to have been discontinued. The offered replacement Dell 1907 is apparently TN screen, although the new Dell 1906 may well be a P-MVA screen (nobody is quite sure yet). Either way, not a player in my timeframe.

The Belinea 10 19 20 would have been a good alternative as well. However be very careful when looking around for examples, all the cheap prices I found were for an earlier varient of the same model number, and what looks like a TN screen. Those selling the P-MVA version that is of interest have it priced too close to the VP930 to be a good option.

For some the Belinea 102035W might be a good idea. The panel is P-MVA and the price is not significantly higher than the PV930. However I think I need a 19" to match(ish) my existing cheap TFT.

Samsung didn't seem to have the right stuff either.

Hope that helps anyone in my position.

Associate
Although its always difficult to recommend a monitor to someone when you have no idea of what they expect to see, I don't think you will be disappointed with your choice.

Soldato
I use the apple 20" at work, (hooked up to a Quad G5 with 4gig of RAM) which I think has the same panel as the Dell. Once I'd run a colorvision spyder over it and sent out for a few cromalins to test it's accuracy I'm now pretty happy with it, I retouch all day using it, mainly food shots, still prefer using a CRT but my eyes feel far less tired with the LCD.

Back
Top Bottom