1997 Clio MOT Costs

Caporegime
As a guide, a neighbour bought a Clio off Facebook recently 1997 1.2 iirc for his daughter , his next door neighbour owns a garage and said he’d do the welding at cost, it needed over a grand at mates rates and that’s before the very long list of mechanical problems he found.

Thankfully he only paid £80 for it and got more back when he scrapped it.

Associate
As a guide, a neighbour bought a Clio off Facebook recently 1997 1.2 iirc for his daughter , his next door neighbour owns a garage and said he’d do the welding at cost, it needed over a grand at mates rates and that’s before the very long list of mechanical problems he found.

Thankfully he only paid £80 for it and got more back when he scrapped it.

How did he get more than £1080+ back for a 1997 clio? Surely that's worth relative pennies as a scrapped car?

Caporegime
How did he get more than £1080+ back for a 1997 clio? Surely that's worth relative pennies as a scrapped car?
No, it needed over a grand (at mates rates) for the welding alone, before all the mechanical issues so he scrapped it rather than spending multiple times it’s value.

He was given a quote by his mate and advised to scrap it which he did.

I’m surprised I had to explain that! :p :D

Associate
No, it needed over a grand (at mates rates) for the welding alone, before all the mechanical issues so he scrapped it rather than spending multiple times it’s value.

He was given a quote by his mate and advised to scrap it which he did.

I’m surprised I had to explain that! :p :D

ahhh I read it as he spent over a grand on the welding and then scrapped it afterwards and got more than he spent on it back!

He can't like his daughter very much if he bought her an £80 death trap...!

Caporegime
ahhh I read it as he spent over a grand on the welding and then scrapped it afterwards and got more than he spent on it back!

He can't like his daughter very much if he bought her an £80 death trap...!
To be fair, from the outside it looked fantastic, really straight and shiny, underneath not so.

He likes his daughter very much which is why he took it to a trusted professional to get it checked over and scrapped it once he realised it was a shed.

Soldato
If it had had an MOT , you have some idea what you are into ... I mean no ones going to give £500 say without some cursory 3rd party inspection/MOT,
a few phone pictures taken under the chassis/sills would reveal most of its sins. ...

we dont, apparently know ops offer price.

Associate
We used to own a 1999 clio, this would have been over 10 years ago, and it was a rust bucket then, had many issues mechanically and electrics were shocking.

I wouldn't get one even if it didn't need the welding, just not worth the hassle

Soldato
French cars are ok mechanically, but so many electrical issues. Some of the contacts just corrode away and not even when the car is that old. I swear they must only test them in the summer in the south of France or something.

The only things worse are Land/Range Rovers, where I think they just connect everything to a pool of water and the bodywork.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom