~ £1k all rounder for the road?

Associate
Evening chaps.

Slowly accepting that I will need to go ahead and get myself my first "proper" bike at some point.

I've had my Boardman Road Comp nearly a year now, got it second hand as an introduction into road cycling. I've done around 1000 miles in it now and although I've had a bike fit done at my LBS, the frame is just too small.

Now onto the fun bit....

I'm looking to spend up to £1,250 ideally and my riding is mainly a weekend blast around Goodwood for a couple of hours and as many sportives as I can fit in.

Also an option to bring it on holiday but I may keep my Boardman for that.

I've been looking at Canyon's, Planet X's and a few other ones at my LBS.

My Boardman feels a bit weak on the roads I go on (I am 100kg also so that won't help :o)

Would maybe a Cyclocross style bike be suitable or stick to something strictly road going?

I don't mind buying second hand again providing I give it a proper going over of course.

Edit - Could a mod move this to the right section, oops.

Soldato
I personally wouldn't bother with a cyclocross bike for road riding. There are a number of road options with clearance for bigger tyres and disc brakes that give a bit more flexibility for poor surfaces or the odd unpaved path. This is the sort of bike that I wanted to buy but at my budget it wasn't possible but yours would get a good example.

This is an example rather than a recommendation (although I believe it to be a decent bike) http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/arkose-five-2015-adventure-road-bike-ec071309 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/genesis/croix-de-fer-20-2015-adventure-road-bike-ec073914

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Decided I want to get one sooner rather than later :D

Current favourites are the Canyon Inflite AL 8.0/9.0, Planet X London Road/Kaffenback,maybe a Fuji Sportif?

Associate
OP
Well that rules that one out :p

Torn between the London Road and AL 8.0/8.0s....

Quite fancy the idea of travelling up to the Planet X showroom and seeing a few in the flesh and seeing how they fit.

Back
Top Bottom