1st Line service desk engineer?

Soldato
This will most likely be the basic end-of-the phone type stuff, e.g. password resets, talking the customer through a script "Have you tried x,y,z" and if that doesn't fix the problem, logging a ticket for someone else to look at. As stated by Efour, probably minimum wage or close to that...

But, that does depend on the company, when I was a "1st line helpdesk technician" at a college, I was doing everything from password resets to cable installation, image creation/deployment etc...

Soldato
OP
says salary will be dependent on experience
all I have is experience, didn't go to uni or anything, but my line of work is training with some IT trouble shooting etc.
thinking of applying just to see how far I get anyway, would be worth while experience

Associate
Depending on the company, you could be looking at between £14K and £20K. Depends how 'technical' their particular 1st line team is.

You could indeed use it as a stepping stone, but in my experience you have to make all the effort yourself. Buy your own books, pay for your own exams, but once you have certs you can command a better salary (and job title), be it there or elsewhere.

Permabanned
Datacenter companies are nice too work for if you get a good one. For example rackspace, i went for an inteview with them, but ended up turning it down because of the amount of travel required at the time.

They have loads of perks though and a gym and things like that. Some of them have work environments similar to google where you can wear casual clothes etc.

The good thing about hosting companies in terms of first line is that there is usually a high exposure to technologies and you may get to learn a lot by just being in the first line position. Compared to say an investment bank where you will just log calls, at datacenter you will have more access although they still have strict change control.

All are different though so difficult to generalize. But if i could generalize ill say, IT related companies, ie companies that only work in IT are good companies to work for in terms of access to the systems and progression. As i find they have a higher expectation of what entry level staff should be doing.

Soldato
Worked for a large datacenter as 1st line but it was basically do what you can to fix it. So from sorting exchanges to ssl certs and fiber lines. Wages not bad at approx 21k but the travel and strange hours got to me in the end.
You will learn lots of technologies and systems and if its like our data center was very relaxed and great fun.

Soldato
OP
Worked for a large datacenter as 1st line but it was basically do what you can to fix it. So from sorting exchanges to ssl certs and fiber lines. Wages not bad at approx 21k but the travel and strange hours got to me in the end.
You will learn lots of technologies and systems and if its like our data center was very relaxed and great fun.

sounds like the one I'm looking at. left to your own devices mainly

how did your travel work, you have to use your own car
did you get reimbursed

it's meant to be 40hrs week, but you need to be flexible.
were you on call out basically?

Soldato
not call out but a rota that was for 7 weeks and had 2 weekends out of 7 that where 12 hour day or night shifts. Had a week of night-shift in that rota as well at 11 till 7 Mon to Fri. mixed with the rest of it that was dayshift or backshift.

Car was your own choice and cost no reimbursement. Was not on call but did do cover so that if anyone who was on nights or the weekend was off I would go in.

Soldato
OP
week of night shift would suck just out of the blue. surprised you didn't get any reimbursement
I've applied will see how far I get and ask questions at end if things go well

Soldato
With a job like that you'll probably find the pay is poor as you'll be right at the bootom of the organisation tree, but the tree is big and relatively easy to climb with time and experience and before you know it you'll be:

Back
Top Bottom