£2,000 Build Advice

Associate
I built my first system many years ago from the help of people on this forum and I was completely satisfied with the free service provided here along with the CS on OCUK throughout the years so I would once again appreciate some of your expertise.

Parts Required
CPU
Memory
GPU
PSU
Motherboard
Case + Fans (If Required)
Storage (~1TB)

Deseriables
Micro ATX form factor.
32GB Ram
2080ti
Modular PSU
Liquid CPU Cooler (Had great experience with the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L)

Not Required
RGB
Thermal Paste
Components
Windows License
Overclocking (Never been interested or really required to OC)

My budget is £2,000 however I may be able to squeeze £100-£200 over if required. I can wait a little if new components are set to release and it logically makes sense.

Soldato
Micro-ATX motherboard selection is overall quite lacking and most cases aren't even much smaller than ATX cases.
(only like 4cm lower in height)
So unless there's very specific height limit for case, I would suggest getting normal ATX.
Or are you intending to use current case?
(in which case what's the model?)

Also watertube coolers are mostly useless marketing hype.
Unless you move case lot and not having weight hanging from mobo is important.

While water's high heat capacity slows down temperature rise, waterpipes in place of heatpipes simply don't make heat disappear anywhere.
And that heat has to be always dissipated into air.
And modern slim radiators don't have excess of surface area.
In fact high end heatpipe coolers beat majority of them in continuous cooling per noise.
And such tiny radiator...
£43 Scythe Mugen 5 curbstomps that Coolerhamster MarketingLiquid.

If you want actual return/value for money and especially holding that value over time, now is about historically bad time to buy expensive graphics card.

Soldato
@EsaT OCUK need to start stocking sliger cases. 19 Litres for ATX case that can hold dual 240mm rads . would sell well on here if they could bulk buy.

@Jayke Jonsbo make some insanely good atx cases the size of mATX case. But might as well go ITX or ATX personally

Associate
OP
@Jayke

whats the system being used for ? what monitor/res/hz do you currently have ?

wanting 2080ti usually means you've got 4k montior/tv or 1440p ultra wide monitor to power

Sorry I forgot to include that, it's being used for gaming, general work/usage and the occasional use of virtual machines. Right now I will be using a 144hz 1920 but I want the GPU power there (if within budget) to upgrade to 4K later down the line. It's not a case of, this is what I want, what should I get. But, this is my budget, what is the absolute best setup I can buy with that budget.

Micro-ATX motherboard selection is overall quite lacking and most cases aren't even much smaller than ATX cases.
(only like 4cm lower in height)
So unless there's very specific height limit for case, I would suggest getting normal ATX.
Or are you intending to use current case?
(in which case what's the model?)

Also watertube coolers are mostly useless marketing hype.
Unless you move case lot and not having weight hanging from mobo is important.

While water's high heat capacity slows down temperature rise, waterpipes in place of heatpipes simply don't make heat disappear anywhere.
And that heat has to be always dissipated into air.
And modern slim radiators don't have excess of surface area.
In fact high end heatpipe coolers beat majority of them in continuous cooling per noise.
And such tiny radiator...
£43 Scythe Mugen 5 curbstomps that Coolerhamster MarketingLiquid.

If you want actual return/value for money and especially holding that value over time, now is about historically bad time to buy expensive graphics card.

@EsaT OCUK need to start stocking sliger cases. 19 Litres for ATX case that can hold dual 240mm rads . would sell well on here if they could bulk buy.

@Jayke Jonsbo make some insanely good atx cases the size of mATX case. But might as well go ITX or ATX personally

Shall we drop the watercooling and just go with a blower in that case? mATX is not necessary but would be preferred. Also as per the GPU mention, you say now is a bad time? I assume there is going to be a new line of Nvidia cards coming out soon, I just checked and I saw June 2020? That is a little longer than I wanted to wait to be honest.

Summing up;

- Bin off the CPU cooler, go with a standard blower?
- Consider an ATX case?

My main query is what CPU to go with, AMD/Intel if so which. As I mentioned, I would like to be playing any/every game I want really, some AAA, some older. I have no direct usage for a CPU other than just general gaming.

Soldato
My main query is what CPU to go with, AMD/Intel if so which. As I mentioned, I would like to be playing any/every game I want really, some AAA, some older. I have no direct usage for a CPU other than just general gaming.
Choise basically depends on do you want to look backwards into past, or into future.
For those old games Intel has little advantage, but is stuck at max 8 cores and with who knows how many more vulnerabilities to patch in that rebranded 2015's 6th gen Skylake Swiss Cheese.
(Intel clearly failed to give damn about security when they were increasing performance)

AMD already has currently CPUs up to 16 cores and no real significant gaming performance difference to Intel at any modern high resolutions.
And architecturally improved Zen3 CPUs (coming some time this year) can well take also single core performance crown from Intel and will be BIOS update compatible with current AM4 boards.

As for CPU cooler you'll need really big radiator (either thickness or size) to match high end heatpipe coolers in continuous cooling per noise.
Actually only few can exceed best dual tower coolers.
And already Mugen 5 beats average easily:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5100-mugen-5-rev.b-cpu-cooler-hs-046-sy.html
While having nothing which could fail catastrophically and except for maybe fan swap you could expect it to run decade without any maintenance.

Not even competition between that and MarketingHypeLiquid when cranking up heat output:
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8550/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml120l-rgb-cpu-review/index6.html

But now it's time for me to go offline for few days...

Soldato
intel is still king of 1080p , anything in the terms of 2070 Super and above or 5700XT and ryzen CPUs will hold back frame rate . Upscale to 1440p/4k and its evens or upgrading to a higher res. Even then you'd be fine with £300 range GPU to top good frame rates at 1080p, which would save a tone of cash .

as with Rad comment above, clc units arent the best but rads used for custom set ups can be quite powerful. 45mm thick 120 rad with a strong fan can handle 500w of heat . but gets all maths based . High end coolers personally look ace and if they fail, you just switch fans and not have to RMA a whole unit etc .

thought about ITX form ?

Caporegime
I built my first system many years ago from the help of people on this forum and I was completely satisfied with the free service provided here along with the CS on OCUK throughout the years so I would once again appreciate some of your expertise.

Parts Required
CPU
Memory
GPU
PSU
Motherboard
Case + Fans (If Required)
Storage (~1TB)

Deseriables
Micro ATX form factor.
32GB Ram
2080ti
Modular PSU
Liquid CPU Cooler (Had great experience with the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L)

Not Required
RGB
Thermal Paste
Components
Windows License
Overclocking (Never been interested or really required to OC)

My budget is £2,000 however I may be able to squeeze £100-£200 over if required. I can wait a little if new components are set to release and it logically makes sense.

why 32GB of RAM?

I use 6GB of ram whilst gaming (CSGO) and I reckon the highest i have ever seen it is 11-12GB playing modern hard to run games. so still 4GB free. 32GB is a waste.

Caporegime
Sorry I forgot to include that, it's being used for gaming, general work/usage and the occasional use of virtual machines. Right now I will be using a 144hz 1920 but I want the GPU power there (if within budget) to upgrade to 4K later down the line. It's not a case of, this is what I want, what should I get. But, this is my budget, what is the absolute best setup I can buy with that budget.

Shall we drop the watercooling and just go with a blower in that case? mATX is not necessary but would be preferred. Also as per the GPU mention, you say now is a bad time? I assume there is going to be a new line of Nvidia cards coming out soon, I just checked and I saw June 2020? That is a little longer than I wanted to wait to be honest.

Summing up;

- Bin off the CPU cooler, go with a standard blower?
- Consider an ATX case?

it's pointless buying a 2080 super for 1080p.

even if you want to go 4k later down the line. then buy gpu later down the line as their will be newer more powerful GPU's available and the depreciation will be less on current gpu.

it's like saying i want to buy 5 tv's for when i eventually buy a mansion in 2 years time. would be a stupid thing to do as you will have better tv's available in 2 years time.

also the higher your res the more you need to spend on gpu. i have a mate who just downgraded from 4k to ultra widescreen because even with dual 1080ti's and a £3500 pc he wasn't getting max fps in some games. 1440p is the max i would recommend and tbh your budget isn't needed. you could buid a top of the line 1080p gaming pc for £700

3600x
b450 or x570 (£100-£180)
16 gb crucial ballistix lt sport - £75
1tb ssd - £100
1660 super - £230

the rest you can pick whatever you want.

when you buy a 4k screen or 1440p then sell the 1660 super and buy 3070 super or whatever is available at the time.

Back
Top Bottom