2 attempts to Exit XP Pro

Associate
I have an old laptop that runs XP Pro. Only one user. The problem is (not really a big deal) that you have to have 2 attempts to close down the system.
The first attempt is greeted by "the application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application"
I click OK and on the second attempt to "Turn off computer" is successful.
Why does it need 2 goes. Cheers.

Soldato
Just sounds like some running process doesn't like to quit and interrupts the shutdown process. Try closing down running processes individually (check the system tray) and see if any throw up the same error.

Associate
OP
I get the impression that the first attempt is seen as an exit by another user which is denied and the second attempt is by the administrator.
Although no log-in is required could the machine still believe there are two users. Cheers

Soldato
What does the event log say at the time?

Also as others have said might be worth closing down some apps from the processes tab to see if this lets you shut the machine down without an error.

Press ctrl-alt-delete and close down as many processes running under your user ID from the processes tab. You will probably have to leave everything running under the System account.

Back
Top Bottom