2 builds and a mITX E3-Xeon mb soon to arrive..

Associate
As some may know I now sometimes build small servers for people so thought I would show and tell a couple of builds I am currently now doing and give a view of the new Intel S1200KP C206 chipset mITX motherboard when I get it from the local distributors here.

I have just almost finished a build, without taking any pics :( but will see what I can do about that tonight.

Build 1;

Antec ISK300-150 case
Intel i3-2100 processor
Intel H61DLB3 mITX motherboard
4GB DDR3 1333MHz ram
Seagate 250GB 5.4k 2.5" hard drive
Intel CT PCIe x1 network adaptor

Use: Mini ESXi server on a tight budget and in a very tight time frame.

Status: All build apart from the additional network card which is in transit.

Questions: Why the CT network card ? - Unfortunately the Intel on-board network 82579V chipset is not supported by VMWare in ESXi even though it is designed for virtulized environments (hence the V at the end of the chipset model code). Unfortunately it seems no-one over here has any CT cards so I had to order two from Overclockers (via parental proxy :p) which should be flying their way to me now. Paid for next day before 12 and they arrived next day before 10 so great service.

Build 2;

After build 1 was finalised I came across a new board that has just been released by Intel and so will be using this in the second build.

Antec ISK100-90 case
Intel i3-2100 processor
Intel S1200KP server mITX motherboard
4GB DDR3 1333MHz ram
Seagate 250GB 5.4k 2.5" hard drive

Use: Same as build one, to be used as a pair for redundancy.

Status: All ready to build apart from the motherboard which is being imported by local distributor.

Questions: What about networking and ESXi ? - The S1200KP has dual lan using 82574L and 82579LM chipsets. The 82574L is the same as used in the Intel CT nic bought for the first build and is on the ESXi HCL.

So what is so great about the new S1200KP motherboard...

• LGA1155 using the C206 server chipset supporting i3, E3 Xeon and pentium 1155 processors (i.e. G620).
  • Supports ECC and non ECC in standard DDR3 240pim ram upto 16GB over 2 slots.
  • 2xSATA II and 2xSATA III ports
  • Full PCIe 2.0 x16 slot
  • Dual Intel Gb lan
  • mITX form factor
  • USD cost around $160

Downside, it only has USB2 (4 rear + 4 header).

If someone were to add a cheap SAS HBA it would give a total of 12 SATA ports and could be a very nice home server platform. It needs to be paired carefully with the E3 Xeons as not all have integrated video so the PCie slot would need to be used for a video card in some cases. The E3 Xeons are priced around the same level as the i5 2500K, at least where I am.

Note the i3, E3 and G620 will all support ECC memory as well :).

For a cheap NAS, a S1200KP board, G620 processor, 4GB EEC ram and some hard drives with UNRaid or ZFS. The only other mITX Xeon board I have come across is the Wade 8011 which I still am trying to get a price for.

Will take a few pics tonight and add them up if I get the chance :D.

RB

Some Photos for Build 1 (excuse the bad photos from hand held camera phone in less than the best lighting conditions).

Some goodies.
ESXi-300-9.jpg

Front (Lucky bottle about the same size as Coke can)
ESXi-300-7.jpg

Front against a stick of RAM for those who are more familar with RAM than Coke :p.
ESXi-300-8.jpg

left size with vents and network card.
IMAG0501.jpg

Right side with single case fan and PSU fan.
IMAG0503.jpg

Back (outputs of the D61 Intel motherboard).
IMAG0504.jpg

Lid off.
IMAG0507.jpg

Drive frame removed.
IMAG0509.jpg

Top off left side.
IMAG0506.jpg

Top off right side.
IMAG0505.jpg

RB

Last edited:
Still waiting for an ETA for the S1200KP board from the distributor but have another order centered around the DQ67EP Intel Q67 chipset board and the Lian-Li PC-Q08B case. Should start building that by next week after collecting the parts (if they are in stock).

Oh and have a few better pics for the unit above so will swap those around in a little bit. Need to get a cuppa first :p.

RB

Hmm.

I'd much prefer these cases to the Jou Jye I'm using for the airflow improvement but I wouldn't really like to lose 70W off the budget to do it.

It is difficult as the 150W is quite small for anything you want to put a stand-a-lone graphics card in and really limits the options. IMO 150W is fine for most machine not being used for games and for NAS units the case is too small... although when paired with an external 4 bay DAS box and connected via eSATA ir can be a great little machine.

I am considering a build on the Intel Dq67ep board (dual eSATA, Intel lan) in a Antec ISK100-90 case with two external 4 drive JBOD hot swap enclosures as a super mini NAS. The eSATA will still be pretty good for 4x5.4k drives per case. Stacks of storage and redundancy. All for around 500 quid (plus hard drives of course and external DVD). Change the DAS cases to 8 drive (16 drive total) and it should be around 700 quid. 8 drives on a single eSATA connection is going to limit the drive speed though ;).

RB

Back
Top Bottom