• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2 days left of 28 day RMA

Associate
Hello all,

I have looked into this issue, talked with my RMA team and the guys at OCUK. We will always test and repair any item we are sent back under warranty . If it cannot be repaired the we will replace the card like for like or with the closest upgrade if there is no replacement anymore.

The card was repaired and a memory chip was replaced, the card was then tested and sent back. I can only presume the repair did not take as the report I have shows it was tested, we would normally then collect and replace the card. However OCUK have agreed to replace it from stock so we will work with them directly.

Sorry for the issue with the repair.

Associate
The amount of 2080tis that are even needing RMA's in the first place is pretty nuts, then coupled with people experiencing poor service on RMA themselves on cards that cost well upwards of a grand is pretty awful. Not a pop at any one particular company, but it's far from the first thread I've read (although this is worse than most).

I didn't even really think about this stuff when I had to RMA my 2060 with Nvidia themselves but it took 10 days (including weekends) for the whole process and it was picked up from my house, and then went to Amsterdam and back in that time. And all I had was a faulty fan and they replaced the whole thing. Maybe I just got lucky, or maybe it's just easier for Nvidia themselves.

Soldato
I didn't even really think about this stuff when I had to RMA my 2060 with Nvidia themselves but it took 10 days (including weekends) for the whole process and it was picked up from my house, and then went to Amsterdam and back in that time. And all I had was a faulty fan and they replaced the whole thing. Maybe I just got lucky, or maybe it's just easier for Nvidia themselves.
I guess the key difference is that yours was only a 2060, while OP's was a 2080ti.

I would assume Nvidia would have plenty of 2060 stock than they could just easily send you a replacement as soon as they confirm that's a fault with the card and leave the repair of your card till later and possible flop them off as refurbished units; for OP's situation on the other hand, I cannot imagine Gigabyte would be sitting on top of mountain of brand new 2080ti with a value or £1000+ that they could sent off as replacement without a single thought for every faulty 2080ti they got RMA from the customers as oppose to try to repair it and send back to the customer. Any manufacturer that replacing every faulty 2080ti they get back with a new one, they could well be quickly end-up being the next BFG :p

I mean at the end of the day, Nvidia is the one to blame for the high failure rate of the Turing architecture graphic cards in the first place. It has to be a design flaw somewhere, considering how easily it end-up killing the vram on the cards regardless of who the manufacturer is! It wouldn't be the first time that Nvidia leaving the AIB partner to clean-up the mess they make (like how they passive-aggressively forcing the AIB partner to absorb the cost for over-produced Pascal GPUs after the mining broom was over).

Caporegime
Most other gpu companies just send out a replacement card, gigabyte for some reason always go down this "repair" route which invariably is only a short term fix. Seen tons of threads over the years with fixed cards breaking down days or weeks later.

Associate
Despite the issues, having a Gigabyte rep on here is very helpful and the input has been solid towards providing an explanation and resolution from ocuk and them. Shame it's taken so long though, not ideal when you have spent out so much on a new card.

Caporegime
Despite the issues, having a Gigabyte rep on here is very helpful and the input has been solid towards providing an explanation and resolution from ocuk and them. Shame it's taken so long though, not ideal when you have spent out so much on a new card.

Indeed.
Being able to utilise a rep in this manner is a positive for Gigabyt.

Associate
I guess the key difference is that yours was only a 2060, while OP's was a 2080ti.

I would assume Nvidia would have plenty of 2060 stock than they could just easily send you a replacement as soon as they confirm that's a fault with the card and leave the repair of your card till later and possible flop them off as refurbished units; for OP's situation on the other hand, I cannot imagine Gigabyte would be sitting on top of mountain of brand new 2080ti with a value or £1000+ that they could sent off as replacement without a single thought for every faulty 2080ti they got RMA from the customers as oppose to try to repair it and send back to the customer. Any manufacturer that replacing every faulty 2080ti they get back with a new one, they could well be quickly end-up being the next BFG :p

I mean at the end of the day, Nvidia is the one to blame for the high failure rate of the Turing architecture graphic cards in the first place. It has to be a design flaw somewhere, considering how easily it end-up killing the vram on the cards regardless of who the manufacturer is! It wouldn't be the first time that Nvidia leaving the AIB partner to clean-up the mess they make (like how they passive-aggressively forcing the AIB partner to absorb the cost for over-produced Pascal GPUs after the mining broom was over).

Yeah fair points I suppose. Also the yields on the silicon would also be an issue given that 2080ti chips arent exactly flying off the production line by all accounts.

Permabanned
This is typical service from OCUK and have seen thread after thread about this happening in the past, I only use OCUK for small things these days.

No excuse for this type of thing.

It's always on very expensive items that this happens

I've had the opposite experience to yours, I've done several returns & RMA's over the last 5 or so years & I can't fault the service, I only use OCUK for big purchases nowadays.

Soldato
I've had the opposite experience to yours, I've done several returns & RMA's over the last 5 or so years & I can't fault the service, I only use OCUK for big purchases nowadays.
Exactly.

Try RMAing with "Scam" and "Pbuyer", and you would end up having better odds and results with trying to get blood out from a rock :p

But not going to lie, I do wish OcUK pricing was more competitive. Other than special deals and promotions, OcUK pricing these days are overall is higher than the competitions unfortunately. Somethings gotta give for better support and service I suppose.

Soldato
Most other gpu companies just send out a replacement card, gigabyte for some reason always go down this "repair" route which invariably is only a short term fix. Seen tons of threads over the years with fixed cards breaking down days or weeks later.

all companies try fixing first , ASUS distribution replaces it there and then if faulty and seeks replacement - most resellers dont have this option

costs more to replace then to repair , as has to be sold via them selves or some reseller's via B-Grade and they lose out .

but again does depend on the fault of the card as some things just cant be fixed

Associate
Exactly, having @GIGA-Man on here is a huge bonus

Caporegime
all companies try fixing first , ASUS distribution replaces it there and then if faulty and seeks replacement - most resellers dont have this option

costs more to replace then to repair , as has to be sold via them selves or some reseller's via B-Grade and they lose out .

but again does depend on the fault of the card as some things just cant be fixed

I've never had a repaired card back from rma, had to rma a 295x2 and got a new one. Not had much bad luck in regard to cards failing but if its only a few months old it should be swapped for a new one.

Soldato
I've never had a repaired card back from rma, had to rma a 295x2 and got a new one. Not had much bad luck in regard to cards failing but if its only a few months old it should be swapped for a new one.
Yea but we never had a "mainstream" gaming graphic card priced at £1200-£1300+ before 2080ti neither.

Associate
Try RMAing with "Scam" and "Pbuyer", and you would end up having better odds and results with trying to get blood out from a rock :p

Honestly not my experience with the former, I've had to RMA two cards I'd purchased via them (an MSI and an Asus) and the whole process was pretty quick and easy. Having said that when I had to RMA my Asus GTX 780 I purchased here it was also a straightforward experience, and that was after 2 years. I ended up with a 970 as replacement, a little frustrating as I'd recently purchased a second 780 for SLI but perfectly understandable that stock would be hard to find at that stage. The 970 ended up serving me well for about 2 years before I upgraded again.

Back
Top Bottom