2 lines but same broadband speed?

Soldato
Hi all, got a bit of an issue here at work that I'm trying to resolve and hoping you guys can help.

We have 2 broadband lines installed here through 4com. One for our data and one for our voice calls. However, I’ve noticed when downloading large files, or streaming HD videos, the phones will start to break up and disconnect.

I did 4 broadband speed tests, one with my computer plugged directly into the adsl router for the data and got 28Mbps. I then plugged a laptop into the voice adsl router, did the same test, and got the same result of 28Mbps.

I then re-ran both tests, but at the same time, and got only 14Mbps on both lines. In my opinion it looks like they’ve just split the broadband line into 2, however 4com are telling me it’s our network that’s the problem. Can I get your input on the situation please? Our network is a gigabit setup with a proper switch and every pc has a gigbit network port. Is it the network or the broadband?

Soldato
ADSL with a speed test of 28Mbps? Even with ADSL2+ and a line so short you can see the telephone exchange your maximum speed will be 24Mbps.

Makes and models of equipment and how they're interconnected would help.

You can't split an broadband line into two. You can combine multiple broadband lines together (bonding).

Man of Honour
What does the network setup look like? Surely you can just go and have a look and will be able to see what you have, if you have two lines you will almost always have a couple of routers as well as two nte's (termination to the carrier network). I have two 100 meg fibre lines into our office and the service providers will always install a router per line, so a simple glance at the network should tell you what is going on. You could find that the issue is a bottleneck on the main router or firewall, we really are going to need quite a lot more to properly help you though.

What phone system do you have?
Is the phone system on a separate vlan using the same gateway as the network traffic and then routed to the line on the firewall?

I can't say for sure but my first guess is that the new line was put in to resolve the bandwidth issues but the rest of the config is missing or hasn't been changed. So putting the phone system on a separate vlan (Easy enough on something like an avaya system) then routing either h.323 or sip out to the correct router. Wouldn't harm just putting some traffic prioritisation/shaping in place as well, if you are using isdn/sip lines each call really doesn't need much bandwidth depending on codec used. Either way for any serious help you will need to help us out with some more details first :)

Edit: Ahh sorry should have read better, re-read the op and noticed you were plugged into two different routers that I assume terminate at two different nte's? First thing is first make sure you have two nte's and not just one. Most of the stuff above applies still, a good understanding of the network is key to sorting these problems :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom