• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2 x Asus 7970 GHZ edition in crossfire

Associate
They would be blisteringly quick in crossfire. What resolution do you game at?

Remember these are 3 slot coolers so you need to bear in mind the spacing between the cards, you might need a fan blowing on to the cards or extracting hot air out from near the cards.

Perhaps the lightning BE cards might be better for you, faster at stock too.

Soldato
They would be ridiculous.
I have one at the moment and am thinking of getting another at Christmas.

Make sure you can fit them both as they take up 3 slots and would require good airflow. Also, please read this thread before purchasing, it outlines the pros and cons of the card, most of the cons are related to GPU Tweak, which will hopefully be solved in the new version due out very soon.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18453434

Soldato
Perhaps the lightning BE cards might be better for you, faster at stock too.

Has anyone put the 2 together? Just wondering as the memory is clocked at 6000MHz on the Lightning BE and 6600MHz on the Matrix Platinum.
Stock performance should be handed to the Lightening BE due to core clock but the memory is higher on the Matrix so it might not beat it by as much as some think.

The Lightning BE might be worth it purely for Afterburner lol.

Associate
There won't be much in it either way. The core is more important than the memory on 79xx though, so I think the lightning would edge it. Was just suggesting the lightning as its probably more crossfire friendly being 2 slots.

If it was me buying a single card I would get the matrix as I love the directCU monster coolers :cool:

Soldato
OP
I'm sure two cards would be ok on my asus z77 premium and I would add a fan to help with the heat

I will running 3x 1920X1200 and fourth monitor as the browser monitor(extended)

Soldato
I'm sure two cards would be ok on my asus z77 premium and I would add a fan to help with the heat

I will running 3x 1920X1200 and fourth monitor as the browser monitor

So we've established you can fit them and they are worth it. The outputs on the Matrix Platinum are the best.
Can you power them, PSU good enough?

Please, make sure you've taken into account GPU Tweak sucks before you purchase. If you can wait a little while (no idea how long, should be soon) i can give you a little review of GPU Tweak 2.2.9.5 which should resolve the issues i reported.

Other than that, the cards are insane.

Soldato
Once gpu tweak is sorted there will be nothing between the matrix and be. Go for what ever is cheapest, though msi rma may be a better experience then asus rma.

If you are planning to run at stock clocks then look at other ghz cards, matrix and lightning are aimed at extreme overclocking, over two cards you'd save near £200. Think the ghz windforce cards come with a 1100mhz stock clock...can be had £160 less then the lightning be...

Soldato
OP
Thanks Rossi

Will have a look . I'm right in saying in can use three monitors for surround
Gaming and the fourth as accessory monitor for browsing as amd website a bit vague
Any links to a step by step setup?

Soldato
Thanks Rossi

Will have a look . I'm right in saying in can use three monitors for surround
Gaming and the fourth as accessory monitor for browsing as amd website a bit vague
Any links to a step by step setup?

Yes you can. However, you will need some active display port adapters for running 3+ monitors on DVI.
You can set this up as you want easily in CCC.

Soldato
OP
Another question do I connect all four monitors to my first card or williI need to split between both
As I'm wanting to connect all four via display port

Back
Top Bottom