1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20,000,000,000 habitable planets in the galaxy - So where is everyone?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by NeilFawcett, Nov 6, 2013.

1. kedge

Mobster

Like i said assumption, we beg to differ, pointless debates, better get back on topic or neilfawcett's head will pop.

2. tbyeah

Wise Guy

Nil assumption. They are there. They have been dated.

3. hola_adios

Wise Guy

You might want to differ as much as you want little boy, facts are facts, it does matter little - much more nothing at all - what you think, as long as you present no facts (although I still think you are the biggest troll these forums have seen, and you are derailing yet another thread).

Back on topic opposite to popular believe that other civilisations could pick up the electromagnetic radiation we have sent outward it is just a myth, the attenuation of the signals after just a few light years is such that it will be almost impossible to distinguish from the background noise (or extremely difficult). The obvious conclusion is that it will be equally difficult for us to detect even the closest civilisations.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  4. NeilFawcett

Capodecina

We once thought it would be impossible to detect, or even see, planets around other stars. But seemingly not now...

5. Spook187

Sgarrista

Come off it Kedge, we all know fossil recording is correct even if we are tens of thousands of years out it still hold up against you incorrect view of how old fossils are, the proof is right there in front of you why don't you get it.

6. kedge

Mobster

One day a group of people go digging up the earth, they find a fossil, as they carefully scrape away the earth covering it and expose it more to the eye they can see it has four legs, they can see it has a long spinal column, tailbone and a long skull. When they dug up the earth and exposed this animal/creature did it come complete with a birth cirtificate telling you of its lineage giving you direct decent from a particular ancestor?, no, was there a label attached to it stating exactly where it came from in the first place?, no. Did any human beings see this creature alive and wondering this earth or its territory?, no, did any human beings see this creature/animal die in the place you found it?, no. Based on all of this i think it is fair to say that human beings know absolutely nothing about this creature/animal. People observe one thing and then assume another.

7. kedge

Mobster

It's just that there is no significant life to be found yet, in time perhaps?.

8. tbyeah

Wise Guy

It does in fact have its lineage; we can still often look at its genome. When we compare this to other fossils, we can see how they are related. We can also date it through various methods.

You seem to think they find it, and say "It has four legs and a tail! Maybe its the common ancestor of a cat and dog! Hmmmm how old is it? Dave pick a number!"

"55"

"55 million years it is!"

9. Rroff

Man of Honour

I'm actually surprised we haven't yet seen better quality images of the closest stars than the one for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxima_Centauri which afaik is the most detailed we have so far.

10. tbyeah

Wise Guy

4.24 light years is still obviously a huge distance though.

11. Skunkworks

Soldato

Kedge?

12. d_brennen

Capodecina

You expect a serious answer Skunkworks? See tbhyeah's sig :p

13. Skunkworks

Soldato

The definition of "kinds" seems to be rather elastic.

14. tbyeah

Wise Guy

Apparently it's a species, it's two animals that can mate, and it's the (impossibly recent) common ancestor of dogs and wolves.

15. Skunkworks

Soldato

This is what I'd like Kedge to confirm or deny, that the definition is thsoe which can produce offspring.

16. edscdk

Soldato

How come the people writing these books knew what to write and how do we know they did not just make it up? That's more of a question for I want answered.

17. tbyeah

Wise Guy

We don't.

kedge'a argument is essentially "The Bible is a blind assumption, so is evolution. Your views are just as unfounded as mine!"

Unfortunately, only about a third of that sentence isn't utter ********. The first 6 words.

18. Rroff

Man of Honour

Given the level of detail got on stuff that is >10bn light years away I'm surprised by the relative limited detail of stuff a lot closer.

19. tbyeah

Wise Guy

Perhaps the radiation or light intensity is an issue, combined with the distance?

I haven't really looked into it, sorry.

20. Castiel

Capo Crimine

Because there are plenty of examples in the Bible which are supported both historically and through other source materials...this doesn't presume the Truth of the presumption of a God however, but it does mean that the context of many of the Biblical Scriptures has some grounding in the time in which it was written.