£200 to spend on a TFT to use with an Xbox 360

Associate
I posted this thread in the 'Monitors' forum but no one replied...

OK, I've never owned a TFT before and I don't know that much about the different types available, so I'm looking for recommendations for one that will work well with an Xbox 360. The questions that occur to me are: would I be able to get a decent widescreen one for that kind of money, or should I just get a normal 19" or 20" one? what would be the most suitable native resolution and would it work with all the games, and what connections should the monitor have on it? (my 360 came with the Component HD AV Cable but I know I can buy the VGA cable if necessary)

Any thoughts?

Caporegime
Yes you can get a decent widescreen one.
Rather than go new, I'd be going for a second hand Dell 2405. I've seen several go for near enough (albeit, slightly more) £200 in Members Market.

Definitely worth it though.

Associate
OP
Yes you can get a decent widescreen one.
Rather than go new, I'd be going for a second hand Dell 2405. I've seen several go for near enough (albeit, slightly more) £200 in Members Market.

Definitely worth it though.

Right, interesting, I know that you usually get about 3 years out of a CRT before they go kaput but I don't know what I'd look for in buying a second hand TFT.

Caporegime
Dell give 3 years warranty with their 2405's anyway, so a lot of those still have some warranty left on them. Seen them going for £250 with warranty in Members Market, so you wouldn't need to worry - not sure whether you can get further warranty from Dell.

Never heard of CRTs going kaput after 3 years either, I have a 19" IIyama that's 6 years old.

Associate
OP
Dell give 3 years warranty with their 2405's anyway, so a lot of those still have some warranty left on them. Seen them going for £250 with warranty in Members Market, so you wouldn't need to worry - not sure whether you can get further warranty from Dell.

Never heard of CRTs going kaput after 3 years either, I have a 19" IIyama that's 6 years old.

Ah right, I didn't realise the warranties were transferrable.

Re: the CRT's I know you can get longer than that, I'd just heard that that quite a lot of them fail round about the 3 year mark and that was why they give you a 3 year warranty.

Back
Top Bottom