2006 BMW 320d (3 series)

Soldato
I made a thread not to long ago about possibly buying a car, I'm taking my time searching around and lately I've pretty much concluded this car is what I'm after.

Before I get a bit more serious and decide to buy this I would like to get peoples opinions from here.

I believe this will cost around 9-10k (I hope). The intention is to sell it 4/5 years down the line where I hope it does not loose to much value (5-6k would be nice to sell it on). I am planning to move to Canada with my wife so this isn't a car to last for a very long time but something to keep me very happy.

I would be getting the 4-door model.

I think thats about it but ask away and let me know your feedback!

Thanking you all in advance.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
They are good cars, and mainly motorway cruisers so you could pick up a higher millage one for much cheaper than your 9-10k, without it being much of a problem child. If you are not in a rush then attend auctions and gauge prices as you should be able to find a very good bargain on this model of car because the 320d was a very popular choice.

Man of Honour
I would be very suprised if 9k is enough for a good E90 320d. If you can get one for this budget it will be very high mileage and thus worth much less than 5k in 5 years time plus in possibl.e need of cash spending on it. This budget is better suited to an older model.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
You would be suprised what you can pick up at an auction, especially with "rep" vehicles, I know I've seen some great bargains on newer BMWs. Although your point about the high millage reducing the resale cost is a valid one which I should have considered in my reply.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;14913337 said:
I would be very suprised if 9k is enough for a good E90 320d. If you can get one for this budget it will be very high mileage and thus worth much less than 5k in 5 years time plus in possibl.e need of cash spending on it. This budget is better suited to an older model.

This..

I'd much rather a mint E46 than a tatty e90

Man of Honour
Good milage being about 50k, what are your thoughts on how much it would cost? I thought 10k was quite reasonable.

£13k+.

Trade book on a 2006/06 320d SE with 50k miles on it is just over £12k - this is the price a dealer would expect to pay from auction or offer you if you had the car and wanted to part exchange it. Therefore you are expecting a minimum of at least £13k-13.5k one it reaches the forecourt, if not more.

£10k is simply not enough money to buy what you want. The only sub £10k E90's are older ones, ones in poor condition or cars with much higher mileage.

Man of Honour
You would be suprised what you can pick up at an auction, especially with "rep" vehicles, I know I've seen some great bargains on newer BMWs. Although your point about the high millage reducing the resale cost is a valid one which I should have considered in my reply.

If you need to ask about car values on overclockers then buying at auction is not the way forward :p

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;14914793 said:
£13k+.

Trade book on a 2006/06 320d SE with 50k miles on it is just over £12k - this is the price a dealer would expect to pay from auction or offer you if you had the car and wanted to part exchange it. Therefore you are expecting a minimum of at least £13k-13.5k one it reaches the forecourt, if not more.

£10k is simply not enough money to buy what you want. The only sub £10k E90's are older ones, ones in poor condition or cars with much higher mileage.

Your right, taking a quick look on PistonHeads the only 320d E90s below 10k had miles of around 120k which is not what I'm looking for.

The cheapest one that fits what I am specificly looking for is going for £12,394, this car has 35k miles.

I took the 10k ball park as that was what I red on whatcars free valuation tool, It was just a gander to throw a figure out there. I didn't think they would be that far off mind.

Do you use a free site to get valuations? If so, would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

What are your opinions on this car? The MPG was quite suprising for me, its double what my last car was!

Associate
I have an E90 320D and I love it. I would highly recommend one but I think you need to increase your budget to at least 13k.

Options I can recommend are sport seats they are fantastic! PDC is good to as its a pretty large car and the dipping side mirrors are great for avoiding the curb.

If you want a decent resale then get a decent spec IMO. Any questions feel free to ask!

Man of Honour
I like the 320d as a general day to day car. I had a 2008/08 for a day last year and it offered all the performance most people would ever need and was reasonably economical as well. Still a bit diesely but not excessively so.

I'd rather a 330i but if you do high enough mileage to rule this out the 320d is a capable car and with it being the most popular model in the range there is plenty of choice. They are well built, reasonable reliable and enjoyable to drive.

I'd want an M Sport personally but they hold a significant price premium, you will need £15k+ for a 2006 onwards M Sport 320d with sensible mileage.

Back
Top Bottom